U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 01:45 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,501,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Superior to other people? No. Superior in the sense I've worked to be able to live in a place I identify with and enjoy? Yes.

Thinly veiled swipes takes place on city-data in every thread everyday. How many negative comments do you see about Seattle and SF being ultra liberal from people on the right, how cities with less diversity are somehow inferior, or places like LA and NYC are ruined by illegals?.. people make comments about how sterile, uptight, and liberal DC is all the time! Come on now, your being overtly sensitive to this specific topic because it applies to you.
No, I'm targeting someone that has a history of taking swipes at Atlanta. You didn't like it here, so you got out. Why the need to repeatedly 'put it in its place' if you don't have an agenda?

I suspect that living so close to the South now makes you nervous, so the need to overcompensate arises. I'm guessing that's what this thread is all about...

Hopefully you will never have to lay eyes on the dreaded Cracker Barrel ever again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 02:03 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,262,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, I'm targeting someone that has a history of taking swipes at Atlanta. You didn't like it here, so you got out. Why the need to repeatedly 'put it in its place' if you don't have an agenda?

I suspect that living so close to the South now makes you nervous, so the need to overcompensate arises. I'm guessing that's what this thread is all about...

Hopefully you will never have to lay eyes on the dreaded Cracker Barrel ever again.
I lived in Atlanta, it wasn't my favorite place and I can state that whenever and wherever I like for whatever reasons. Should I tell someone that constantly glazes over Atlanta and makes it sound like a slice of heaven to stop because they've already mentioned it and I personally think it's misleading?

I talk about the other cities I've lived in and experienced when possible as well including my current home city of DC which I like. And here you go with your assumptions again. I grew up in the South!!

I can also ask what YOUR agenda is!? Make sure anything negative being mentioned about your hometown is met with your insecurity because you can't handle some criticism or comments from the other side?

At the end of the day... If you don't like what you read and don't want to comment, move on. It's an open forum and back to the topic I thought it was interesting that voting patterns overlay for the most part with everyday things we do like restaurants that we eat at, and the shows we watch. If you'd like to contribute what are you thoughts regarding this and/or do you have any other examples of this?

Old 04-18-2017, 02:58 PM

23,042 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Except that Starbucks today is all over deeply red rural and suburban America. It's become almost as prevalent as McDonalds.
I was thinking in terms of corporate ethos.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I was thinking in terms of corporate ethos.
Hmm... it is an interesting thought though. If a company is a more bare bones necessity based commodity i.e. gas stations, 7-11 and don't align in either direction are they more likely to thrive in all of the US? Like you said Starbucks "ethos" does align more with the whole foods demographic but it interesting that they thrive everywhere considering the backlash regarding their cups every Christmas. Perhaps coffee is seen as a necessity.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:59 PM

23,042 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Hmm... it is an interesting thought though. If a company is a more bare bones necessity based commodity i.e. gas stations, 7-11 and don't align in either direction are they more likely to thrive in all of the US? Like you said Starbucks "ethos" does align more with the whole foods demographic but it interesting that they thrive everywhere considering the backlash regarding their cups every Christmas. Perhaps coffee is seen as a necessity.
It is interesting. Some corporations are more transparent about this than others, putting their pet charities and causes front and center at their POS and incorporating them into their marketing strategies. It seems more and more are going this way. Some that have received attention for it (sometimes unwanted):

Starbucks (global warming, race issues)
Chick-Fil-A (gay rights, defense of marriage)
Wendy's (pro-life)
Pepsi-Cola (race relations, particularly involving the police)
Hobby Lobby (gay rights)

Old 04-19-2017, 12:23 PM

1,157 posts, read 653,350 times
I've been to Cracker Barrel twice in my life. The first time was down in Florida while I was on vacation as a teenager. It was nothing special, but wasn't bad either IIRC. I just remember that the vast majority of people were not only fat, but grossly overweight. It was surprising, even in America. The second time was at one in southern West Virginia. If you had more then three teeth and weighed less then 300 lbs, you were doing pretty well in life in this one. We also got a lot of stares because one person in our group was Latino, and the only non-white person in the place. The food wasn't that good either. Would I go back again if I had a choice? Probably not, and there aren't many (if any?) around here anyway.

I go to Whole Foods once in awhile because they have great pre-made food that I like to get when I'm too lazy to cook. We also have the largest WF on the East Coast here in Philly, so there is a lot to choose from.

It is funny though, because your typical Whole Foods shopper tends to be a walking stereotype of a Yuppified, liberal, self-absorbed city-slicker that southerners love to hate on. And based on my experience, the typical Cracker Barrel attracts a lot of the redneck, obese, "don't touch my guns or my Jesus" types that are often mocked by city people on the Coasts.

Just an observation.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I've been to Cracker Barrel twice in my life. The first time was down in Florida while I was on vacation as a teenager. It was nothing special, but wasn't bad either IIRC. I just remember that the vast majority of people were not only fat, but grossly overweight. It was surprising, even in America. The second time was at one in southern West Virginia. If you had more then three teeth and weighed less then 300 lbs, you were doing pretty well in life in this one. We also got a lot of stares because one person in our group was Latino, and the only non-white person in the place. The food wasn't that good either. Would I go back again if I had a choice? Probably not, and there aren't many (if any?) around here anyway.

I go to Whole Foods once in awhile because they have great pre-made food that I like to get when I'm too lazy to cook. We also have the largest WF on the East Coast here in Philly, so there is a lot to choose from.

It is funny though, because your typical Whole Foods shopper tends to be a walking stereotype of a Yuppified, liberal, self-absorbed city-slicker that southerners love to hate on. And based on my experience, the typical Cracker Barrel attracts a lot of the redneck, obese, "don't touch my guns or my Jesus" types that are often mocked by city people on the Coasts.

Just an observation.
Agree these two are polar opposites in the clientele they market too.

Some however seem to beat the stereotype like Target and Starbucks even though both are very left leaning. Chik Fil A is a good example of the reverse.

Some other examples are zaxbys/church's chicken vs pret a manger and Phil's Coffee.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,130,434 times
I frequent Trader Joe's and Cracker Barrel. Moderate Democrat.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:58 PM

1,957 posts, read 1,453,252 times
I am not going to claim that Cracker Barrel is the "best" restaurant ever, not even for southern cuisine (my home and other "mom and pop" "downtown on the square" restaurants throughout the South would get that distinction), but some of their stuff is GOOD (Take their corn muffins, mmmm) and no, I am not an obese redneck (I have a graduate degree, but will admit to being rather socially conservative) Just go where you enjoy and don't disdain other's choices.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 PM

2,213 posts, read 687,994 times
Well... "Whole Foods" is "Whole Paycheck."

Soooo.... Cracker Barrel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.