Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 07:41 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's not about the company, it's the clientele in my opinion.
Unless you live in a place where Wal-Mart is the only option for groceries. I hate Wal-Mart and avoid it as much as I can, but its the only thing convenient to where I live. Target is great for regular shopping but their grocery section really leaves a lot to be desired. Then again, I live in one of the reddest areas in the country which is probably one reason why Wal-Mart is so prevalent.

I really think a better comparison in terms of red vs blue is the market dominance of chain restaurants vs locally owned restaurants. Most red areas seem to be dominated by chains, both fast food and fast casual (Chili's, Applebees, Red Lobster, etc). Bluer areas tend to have a lot more locally-owned cuisine with character and a lot more variety at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 07:44 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Chick-Fil-A vs Starbucks. Complete political opposites.
Except that Starbucks today is all over deeply red rural and suburban America. It's become almost as prevalent as McDonalds.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:46 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
Here's the full U.S. map showing Android vs. iPhone users.

https://www.mapbox.com/bites/00245/b...30.117/-83.408
Tried. Page keeps reloading.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:49 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Market vs restaurant doesn't seem a good comparison.
^^^this^^^
Why compare a restaurant and a grocery store?

That's like comparing apples to oranges

Been to Cracker Barrel on several occasions. It's ok but not a big fan. Do like their fireplace in the winter

Old 04-13-2017, 08:10 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Hillary voter here.

Love Cracker Barrel, for my money it's the best chicken-fried steak you can get. Love browsing the stores too. Plus how can you not love the triangle pin games they have at every table?

It's not my favorite show, but the minute I first saw Duck Dynasty I couldn't stop watching. Uncle Si is hilarious. Sad to see it go, but it had a good run.

Whole Foods. Lets just say I felt out of place when I went there for the first time. Did get a laugh out of the experience though. Kinda enjoyed South Park poking fun at it.

Guess I'm bi-polar

Old 04-14-2017, 01:43 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've eaten at Cracker Barrel and shopped at Whole Foods. I don't watch Ellen or Duck Dynasty. Where do I fit?
You broke the box, dammit!

Anyway, there's a Cracker Barrel seven miles away from me, but the nearest Whole Foods is 53 miles away from me, so guess what? I've eaten at Cracker Barrel more than once in the last year, but it's been several years since I've shopped at Whole Foods. The fact that I don't think Whole Foods is good enough to justify a 106-mile round trip to shop there has no bearing on my political views whatsoever.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:03 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I guess this is why I'm an independent because I think Cracker Barrel is a poor excuse for food and Whole Foods is overpriced fufu crap

An interesting map is the one that depicts Android vs. Iphone users.

Map the iPhone Users In Any City, And You Know Where the Rich Live - CityLab
Android Is For Poor People: Maps - Business Insider
I'm guessing you've never had their pancakes.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:22 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Maybe Costco aligns well with suburban swing voters. Their warehouse-like stores need more square footage than is generally available in urban areas, but their product lines tend to be moderate to upscale. With merchandise that is sold in larger quantities than at typical supermarkets, their target audience is more families as opposed to smaller households. Thus, the stores are typically located in busy suburban areas in proximity to affluent residential neighborhoods. Costco isn't as prevalent in smaller communities that lack a critical mass of middle to higher income consumers.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:24 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
I think Whole Foods versus Walmart would be a better comparison point, beyond the fact this topic has been beaten to death ad nauseum.
Walmart has actually opened in many inner city, liberal neighborhoods in places like Chicago, LA, etc.

In fact Walmart has a push for new urban locations. I believe even the South Side of Chicago, home of Obama and and Saul Alinsky have Walmarts now.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:23 AM

491 posts, read 473,309 times
Quote:
It's not about the company, it's the clientele in my opinion.
Walmart gets everyone in. Even in the wealthiest neighborhoods, Walmart is starting to build in. I mean, every wealthy person I know sneaks into Walmart to buy their stuff. People don't get rich by wasting money. Many rich people are extremely penny-pinching. They're not buying at Target or overpriced supermarket, if Walmart is having the same thing for less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.