Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 01:54 PM

124 posts, read 372,332 times

Advertisements

My lease ends in December/January and I am looking to move out of state at the end of it. (I currently live in TN). The problem is that I have no idea were to move. I’m a single woman in my 20’s, if that makes a difference.

I’m looking for a state/city with:

Low humidity (I’m fine with heat, I grew up in the desert.)

Decent cost of living.

Decent job market, I’m currently in Security monitoring, but am looking to change careers, to either Medical Transcription or Medical billing and coding. I have experience in customer service, both on the phone and in person along with experience handling money. I also have experience in child care, both as a private nanny, and with a center.

Decent public transportation, or the ability to bike places.

Hiking/nature/walking trails

Family friendly

Any ideas?

Last edited by iluvwriting; 04-11-2017 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 02:04 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Sacramento?

Old 04-11-2017, 02:12 PM

93,219 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Do you have a préfère in terms of where you want to relocate to?

Old 04-11-2017, 02:32 PM

422 posts, read 396,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Sacramento?

Come on down! Sac has an abundance of hospitals and medical offices where you'd be able to get a billing/coding job rather easily. The heat in Summers can be unbearable during the peak of the day, but typically cool down during the evenings. Abundance of outdoor and recreational activities and a decent public transit system.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Do you have a préfère in terms of where you want to relocate to?
Somewhere not TN? LOL. but I'm not really picky, to be honest. I'd like to be able to live decently on 40 hours a week, which I can in TN now, I just can't stand the humidity anymore.

I've got family in Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, South Dakota, Texas, and Utah. But my concern with Texas and Arkansas is the humidity. I've spent a summer in Arkansas and it was pretty difficult. My brother and sister-in-law live in Dallas and they've said that it gets pretty humid there in the summer. But since Texas is so huge, I am willing to look at other parts of the state.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:53 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwriting View Post
Somewhere not TN? LOL. but I'm not really picky, to be honest. I'd like to be able to live decently on 40 hours a week, which I can in TN now, I just can't stand the humidity anymore.

I've got family in Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, South Dakota, Texas, and Utah. But my concern with Texas and Arkansas is the humidity. I've spent a summer in Arkansas and it was pretty difficult. My brother and sister-in-law live in Dallas and they've said that it gets pretty humid there in the summer. But since Texas is so huge, I am willing to look at other parts of the state.
In Texas nearly everything along and east of I-35 will have varying degrees of humidity. None of the big cities of the Texas Triangle are truly dry despite some folks' insistence that they are. Amarillo, Lubbock, Midland-Odessa, and El Paso are about as dry as Texas gets, but El Paso and Midland-Odessa are hotter than Hades in the summer.

Utah isn't a bad choice, but the southern regions near St. George experience hot summers and very mild winters. Further north toward Salt Lake City the summers are milder, but they have real winters.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:21 PM

27,181 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Given you have family in Indiana and you're looking for something not scorching hot for several months Indianapolis could be your wildcard, and it certainly doesn't have the extreme long winters either with four distinct seasons. It has one of the lowest costs of livings in terms of big cities and should provide some good job options along with decent public transit. https://www.visitindy.com/

Old 04-11-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
In Texas nearly everything along and east of I-35 will have varying degrees of humidity. None of the big cities of the Texas Triangle are truly dry despite some folks' insistence that they are. Amarillo, Lubbock, Midland-Odessa, and El Paso are about as dry as Texas gets, but El Paso and Midland-Odessa are hotter than Hades in the summer.

Utah isn't a bad choice, but the southern regions near St. George experience hot summers and very mild winters. Further north toward Salt Lake City the summers are milder, but they have real winters.
That was my assumption about Texas, although I was curious about El Paso, since it's on the entirely separate side of Texas. I actually grew up within driving distance of Utah, so I know how their summers and winters can be in various parts of the state.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:17 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Given you have family in Indiana and you're looking for something not scorching hot for several months Indianapolis could be your wildcard, and it certainly doesn't have the extreme long winters either with four distinct seasons. It has one of the lowest costs of livings in terms of big cities and should provide some good job options along with decent public transit. https://www.visitindy.com/

I would also suggest Indiana! If you move to NW Indiana it's only 35 miles from downtown Chicago! Lots of work possibilities and lots to do, while living in a low COL state like Indiana! The winters are hit or miss though. Indiana ranks 8th in fiscal stability!

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...scal-stability

Old 04-11-2017, 06:10 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwriting View Post

Dallas is humid.Some cities in Texas that are not humid are Abilene,Angelo,Amarillo,Lubbock,Midland,Odessa and El Paso.The summers in the dryer part of the state are not as hot compared to the humid parts of the state like DFW,Houston,San Antone, and Austin.Arizona could work for you also.Arizona would be hotter than West Texas.I do not find the summers in Midland to be that intense but I have a high heat tolerance and I actually enjoy the triple digits.Texas does not have good public transportation though.Arizona would have better hiking and trails than most cities in West Texas.I think Arizona has a good economy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.