U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:33 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,195,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
What do you mean by that? How do you define a safe geographical location? Safe from natural disasters, safe from crime, safe in some other way?

I read that statement as safe from natural disasters, in which case Seattle is pretty safe, as is Portland, Las Vegas, and I don't know what others. However, what kind of citizens people are would have absolutely no bearing on this.

If you meant crime-wise, secular folks tend to congregate in higher population areas. So do criminals, since that is where there are people to commit crimes against. That doesn't mean the two groups overlap.
Seattle safe from natural disasters? Are you kidding? It's in a major subduction zone (potentially much more dangerous than San Francisco), which also puts it at risk from tsunamis not to mention proximity to the continental US's most dangerous volcano.

Edit- Also, to all the christers out there, the topic of the thread is "best city for people of NO faith". Quit trying to spread your superstitions and help the brother out. I live in Pittsburgh and I think organized religion is mind-poison and I love it here, despite all the churches. Hope that helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 09:39 PM

351 posts, read 540,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I really disagree with the above. Colorado is considered a "red" state, but is very secular, even in Colorado Springs, home of Focus on the Family. It's only "red" in terms of vote for president in 2004, an event that happened four years ago. I posted this link back in March.
I don't think it's nearly as secular as you Coloradans suggest it is. I just think the secularism that is there is more militant than elsewhere. Coloradans have a really tough time getting along with each other. Just because the secularism is louder doesn't mean it speaks for a significant part of the population.

Oh...and Colorado Springs IS definitely one of the most devout places in America. No question.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:51 PM

86,980 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
I don't think it's nearly as secular as you Coloradans suggest it is. I just think the secularism that is there is more militant than elsewhere. Coloradans have a really tough time getting along with each other. Just because the secularism is louder doesn't mean it speaks for a significant part of the population.

Oh...and Colorado Springs IS definitely one of the most devout places in America. No question.
I refer you to this map:
http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo.../adherents.gif

The dark red counties are for the most part sparsely populated. You will note ElPaso County, home of Colorado Springs, is only 35-50% populated with "religious adherents". I don't think there is anything "militant" about the secularism here, unless you are thinking of Boulder. I have lived there for 28 years.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:39 PM

7,731 posts, read 12,187,158 times
Colorado Springs, New York City and Los Angeles.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 PM

11,171 posts, read 22,361,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Perhaps you can find a differant country to live in ????

couldn't have asked for a better example!!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:56 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,285,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Colorado Springs, New York City and Los Angeles.

While Southern Californians tend to be fairly tolerant of people of various faiths and without faiths, do not underestimate the role faith does play in this region. It is NOT one of the most secular places in the country. Los Angeles itself has an enormous Catholic population and is actually the largest archdiocese in the entire country. There are 4.3 million members out of the approx 11 million residents in LA, Ventura, and Santa Barbara Counties that this archdiocese serves. That is a ton of Catholics and that doesn't even include Protestants and other Christian branches. The second largest Mormon Temple in the world is in Los Angeles and 490,000 of the city residents are Jewish.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:02 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,171,504 times
I'd think any major city that has millions of people, primarily those on the coast (NYC, LA, San Fran and then Chicago for the Midwest).

Old 09-02-2008, 07:14 AM

86,980 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
I'd think any major city that has millions of people, primarily those on the coast (NYC, LA, San Fran and then Chicago for the Midwest).
Chicago is a very Catholic city. Also, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America has its headquarters there. That said, it's so big, there's something for everyone, including those with no faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or