U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2017, 06:20 PM
 
Location: sumter
8,548 posts, read 5,371,964 times
Reputation: 6590

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperateHobo View Post
You are really saying it is impossible to be safe in America?
The majority of neighborhood in america are pretty safe in my opinion, or either very safe. You are just in an unfortunate situation. Money also plays a big role in where you live and the type of neighbor you seek and desire. Then to complicate things, you have these standards that you wish to have on the income you have. It is probably not impossible, but you really have your work cut out for you. It is also unfortunate that, this is the world we live in today, a very imperfect place.

 
Old 04-15-2017, 06:34 PM
 
69 posts, read 24,043 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Just buy a tent and live in the desert. You can buy a piece of land in Nevada for $1000. Good luck.
Sounds nice!

That is one of our top options.

Not sure about a tent though with babies and snakes and whatnot.

But maybe a shack.

Major concern is water. Next would be food.

But $1,000 for a desert lot sounds peaceful!
 
Old 04-15-2017, 06:46 PM
 
69 posts, read 24,043 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Clean air, no bugs, quiet people....

Shack in the desert....

Sounds like New Mexico to me.

Great climate and most places are cheap (except Santa Fe).
Been hearing a lot about NM.

Some elements look doable.

Thank you.
 
Old 04-15-2017, 06:49 PM
 
69 posts, read 24,043 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
The majority of neighborhood in america are pretty safe in my opinion, or either very safe. You are just in an unfortunate situation. Money also plays a big role in where you live and the type of neighbor you seek and desire. Then to complicate things, you have these standards that you wish to have on the income you have. It is probably not impossible, but you really have your work cut out for you. It is also unfortunate that, this is the world we live in today, a very imperfect place.
Growing up in America, I do not remember ANY of this dirt, noise, and lawlessness.

I just can't believe how things have changed...
 
Old 04-15-2017, 06:54 PM
 
Location: sumter
8,548 posts, read 5,371,964 times
Reputation: 6590
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperateHobo View Post
Growing up in America, I do not remember ANY of this dirt, noise, and lawlessness.

I just can't believe how things have changed...
Yeah but it's been this way in many places for a long time now, these things haven't just started yesterday. I also remember a time when things was not nearly as bad as they are now. And probably wont be getting any better any time soon,
 
Old 04-15-2017, 08:06 PM
 
69 posts, read 24,043 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Yeah but it's been this way in many places for a long time now, these things haven't just started yesterday. I also remember a time when things was not nearly as bad as they are now. And probably wont be getting any better any time soon,
I have been out of the country for a couple decades, and came back to America to live the good life.

Honestly, it makes me wonder why everyone in the entire word is fighting to get here?...
 
Old 04-15-2017, 08:20 PM
 
412 posts, read 305,791 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperateHobo View Post
Sounds nice!

That is one of our top options.

Not sure about a tent though with babies and snakes and whatnot.

But maybe a shack.

Major concern is water. Next would be food.

But $1,000 for a desert lot sounds peaceful!
There are some really sturdy large tents, like the ones they use in Mongolia. But yeah shack would work as well, or a trailer. Some of the lots have water and electricity, although it might cost some to set that up. Check landwatch.com for good deals.

Food you can always go to the supermarket and buy. If you can't afford a car then get a bicycle.
 
Old 04-15-2017, 09:31 PM
 
12,842 posts, read 4,640,296 times
Reputation: 5213
There are mobile homes available:

$2500 for this in Ohio:

http://www.mobilehome.net/mobile-hom...n-massillon-oh

$6500 in Pennsylvania:

Mobile Home for Sale in Hereford, PA: 12 Mountain Scene Drive *MS013

$2900 midway between Buffalo and Rochester, NY:

http://www.mobilehome.net/mobile-hom...e-in-shelby-ny
 
Old 04-15-2017, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,193 posts, read 10,409,482 times
Reputation: 11208
Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota (outside Twin Cities) would probably all fit the bill too. Not the most exciting places, but cheap, quiet, good economies.
 
Old 04-15-2017, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
3,144 posts, read 2,825,168 times
Reputation: 2858
Living in an RV is not as easy as you think. There are zoning requirements which restrict most rv living full-time. Living in a mobile home is possible but you will need to buy the land and trailer. Add in the cost for utility hook ups and/or wells which will can be very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top