U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 10:24 PM

69 posts, read 24,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
There are some really sturdy large tents, like the ones they use in Mongolia. But yeah shack would work as well, or a trailer. Some of the lots have water and electricity, although it might cost some to set that up. Check landwatch.com for good deals.

Food you can always go to the supermarket and buy. If you can't afford a car then get a bicycle.
Yurts, I think they are called. And that is not a bad idea.

Thank you!

Old 04-15-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post

Thank you.

I know these can be had for not very much. The primary issue is, I heard they cost $5,000 just to move across town?

Old 04-15-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Living in an RV is not as easy as you think. There are zoning requirements which restrict most rv living full-time. Living in a mobile home is possible but you will need to buy the land and trailer. Add in the cost for utility hook ups and/or wells which will can be very expensive.
If we bought land, it would be a place where all that is not required!

Old 04-15-2017, 10:39 PM

12,842 posts, read 4,642,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperateHobo View Post
Thank you.

I know these can be had for not very much. The primary issue is, I heard they cost $5,000 just to move across town?
You shouldnt need to move it really. Do you need to move it?

Old 04-16-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
You shouldnt need to move it really. Do you need to move it?
Well they can't just stay where they are, can they?

Or does land come with it? If so, then that is a good deal!

Also, some of those are in NY.

Can't homesechool in NY...

Old 04-16-2017, 01:26 PM

12,842 posts, read 4,642,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperateHobo View Post
Well they can't just stay where they are, can they?

Or does land come with it? If so, then that is a good deal!

Also, some of those are in NY.

Can't homesechool in NY...
They stay put and you normally rent the lot for about $100-$300 a month which also includes some of the utilities.

Do you get section 8 voucher?

Old 04-16-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
They stay put and you normally rent the lot for about $100-$300 a month which also includes some of the utilities.

Do you get section 8 voucher?
Too expensive, and too trashy. We were in a trailer park once, and the rumours were true! Certainly not the most quiet and safest place in America to live! Probably our worst experience. At least there was not usually a cigarette smoke issue, however. But just seems like such a waste of your money to rent a lot, no? I mean, even if there were a trailer park that was safe and clean, and quiet...

I mean, in our experience, the trailer park is way worse than where we are at. And we are paying $12 a month here.

No voucher. After 20 year of waiting, we abandoned several vouchers. Section 8 is a garbage program. 7 person family gets a $500 voucher in a place where the average rents are $2,500 a month. And it's not like you can use that voucher to help pay for the rent. You cannot rent more than $550 with a $500 voucher, or they will cancel it! The other $50 you pay cash, but they will not let you pay more.

Veteran's Affairs is garbage too.

See why we are desperate? We have tried so many venues.

And I know people in America hate the poor now. I am disabled and have not found anything I can do. My wife is a full-time mom, and caregiver to me. Not to mention has never worked before in the States.

Even though in most industrialised nations we would get child welfare benefits (available even for rich people) and low income welfare benefits, housing, and medical, we are not asking for "handouts". Just options. New, strange ideas that we can do with a small savings.

I appreciate all ideas and suggestions! I wish I could buy you all some coffee or a beer/wine for the trouble!

Old 04-16-2017, 03:49 PM

8,548 posts, read 5,373,977 times
Not trying to be rude Op, but you do come across as a little too picky, demanding, and high expectations, and negativity for the situation you are in. I wish I had the answers for you, but you are in a tough situation, and I'm sure you are not the only person in this situation. Veterans affairs been helpful to me over the years, and especially lately. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with them, but not everyone feel they are garbage. I know this is a hard thing to do, but try to be positive about things, the little things. No matter how bad you think you have it, somebody out there is a lot worst off than you. Do you believe in prayer?

Old 04-16-2017, 03:50 PM

412 posts, read 305,962 times
Why did you leave the Philippines? I know a couple of retired military guys who lived there on $800 a month. I lived there for 2 years myself. It's a good place to grow up if you're a kid. Safe. And your kids will be well liked as they are half white.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Why did you leave the Philippines? I know a couple of retired military guys who lived there on $800 a month. I lived there for 2 years myself. It's a good place to grow up if you're a kid. Safe. And your kids will be well liked as they are half white.
Nearly impossible to live there on $800 a month. Horrible place to live as a kid, and FAR from safe! There are terrorists, bandits, kidnap-for-ransom gangs, rape gangs, and so on. Not to mention the typhoons, pollution, industrial waste, traffic, and the like. Half white kids are highly discriminated against in the Philippines.

The Philippines is the most dangerous place in East Asia. That is why we came back. Thinking that life in America would be great, even if you are poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.