U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 10:57 AM

2,006 posts, read 1,019,562 times

Advertisements

Houston barely makes it into Beta + for 2016. It has a ways to go, to be as relevant as some of these cities Houston posters aspire it to bypass in population. Population alone, doesn't make a city relevant.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:28 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,281,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreChunes View Post
I don't get how exactly Houston is suppose to catch up to LA urbanism and vibrant neighborhoods. A large portion of Houston still looks VERY suburban, even inside the loop.
The grid/street-plan of Houston is indeed urban. It's just a matter of the developments not quite granting sufficient scale and coverage (i.e. width and condition of sidewalks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Houston barely makes it into Beta + for 2016. It has a ways to go, to be as relevant as some of these cities Houston posters aspire it to bypass in population. Population alone, doesn't make a city relevant.
There is an entire recent thread that explains how that ranking holds little merit in regards to true importance of a city on a global scale.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:02 PM

28 posts, read 15,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

I thought OMG. This person at least acknowledges Chicago has a ----> port 1000-miles from the ocean. TO BOAST/BOOST HOUSTON.

Priceless !!! Just never heard even Chicagoans? Boast of having a Port? Yet alone a port city.....
I don't know what your trying to say here? You do realize comparing Chicago to Port of Houston is like comparing a housecat to a lion? It's laughable to even put those 2 in the same league honestly (no offense to the original quoter).

Port of Houston does 230mil tons of trade yearly.
Port of Chicago does 15mil tons.

It is literally one of our busiest and largest ports in this country. Even NYC only does 125mil tons.... HALF what Houston does.

Just wanted to point this out b/c I don't know what your comment meant exactly?

Old 04-19-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
HOUSTON NEEDS TO MATCH CHICAGO'S VIBRANCY FIRST AS IT OVERTAKES CITY PROPER (ONLY) IN POPULATION. THEN LA ... but passing Chicago's vibrancy won't come in mere city proper population passed.
Actually I don't doubt Chicago is a great city. But it's just nowhere near staying ahead of Houston in population. And not just in city proper. You realize the entire metro agglomeration of Chicago is only about 9mil? Houston is 7mil now. It will pass Chicago metro agglomeration at roughly the same time (or even sooner) it will pass the city population. It's just a fact. But, yes, Chicago does have some nice skylines. I still say nothing compares to Houston with exception to NYC. LA is laughably nowhere even close. NYC yes has a vast expanse of beautiful skyline. No doubt at all. Cant be argued. I agree. But LA doesn't even touch the multitude of skylines across the Houston horizon. Nothing does, with exception to NYC.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
There is an entire recent thread that explains how that ranking holds little merit in regards to true importance of a city on a global scale.
Exactly. Look. Even Miami, SF, Melbourne are on the Alpha- list. Which is laughable really. It's all based on historical norms and movie makers. I would put little credit into those lists. That's changing rapidly though as "Hollywood" begins to have far less influence on popular culture than it used to. Which is happening obviously b/c of the pervasive nature of internet access, people being able to post anything at anytime anywhere, FB, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Youtube, Bloggers, the era of the instant and truly 24/7 news cycle, etc....

Old 04-19-2017, 01:55 PM

1,004 posts, read 602,222 times
Quote:
[/b]

You took the words out of my mouth. It's true, what you say, and people shouldn't seem so desperate for this to happen. If it happens, it happens. No one knows when or IF it will happen, so just chill for the next few years, and see. This desperation casts a not very flattering light on Houston, when actually it's not the city, it's a few people who can't let this go. It's not ahead now, so save the rhetoric.
^^ Right...A lot of this is speculation and what-ifs and there could a number of factors that may affect what goes on in the future including economy, climate, or natural disasters. While I agree that Houston surpassing Chicago is inevitable in the next 20-30 years or so, what are we going to do with that information? I know it sounds cool for bragging points for its residents, but Chicago has remained a much more prominent city for a much longer time than Houston and will be for the foreseeable future despite its issues with crime, taxes, and population loss, just as San Francisco holds onto its prominence even though San Jose surpassed it in population long ago. The Houston homers swore that when United merged with Continental, they were going to move their HQ down to Houston because its more business-friendly and growing more. That didn't happen...and life went on. Phoenix surpassed Philadelphia in population a few years ago and life went on. Some people care, most don't.

Also, the comments dismissing LA as just a "Hollywood" city by the OP and others tell me they really don't know much about the city, because Los Angeles is a huge logistics and trade center and the LA-Long Beach Port is the busiest container port in the country (but Port of Houston is busier in terms of tonnage to be fair). It also has a huge biotech and health science sector, and iis the largest manufacturing center in the country. It can certainly hold its own against Houston.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 04-19-2017 at 02:05 PM..

Old 04-19-2017, 02:12 PM

20 to 30 years is a bit absurd. It's going to be about 5-7 tops. And I'm not from Houston. I said this earlier. I *am* a Texan. But not even from anywhere near the Houston metro area. Nope, actually, I'm from Austin, which is a bit funny considering what some of you would think, apparently given my posts (?).

I'm just calling it how I see it. And the numbers don't lie either. Just with regard to the population growth rates and when Chicago will be passed. Foregone conclusion. Even acting like it isn't happening within a decade (more likely half decade) is kinda ridiculous. The whole LA thing was originally just rhetoric and discussion. No one is saying that *will* happen - I certainly wasn't. But the thread has diverged into various other arguments about these cities. There are certain arguments which are ridiculous and only persevere due to the movie culture Hollywood has pervaded. Like Miami being listed on an Alpha city list. But as I said earlier that's changing rapidly as modern 24/7 news cycles become the constant norm, and a plethora of blogging, tweeting, and Facebooking, along with the general ability of everyone to cast their opinions via YouTube, other streaming services, etc....

Old 04-19-2017, 02:32 PM

1,004 posts, read 602,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kace36 View Post
20 to 30 years is a bit absurd. It's going to be about 5-7 tops. And I'm not from Houston. I said this earlier. I *am* a Texan. But not even from anywhere near the Houston metro area. Nope, actually, I'm from Austin, which is a bit funny considering what some of you would think, apparently given my posts (?).

I'm just calling it how I see it. And the numbers don't lie either. Just with regard to the population growth rates and when Chicago will be passed. Foregone conclusion. Even acting like it isn't happening within a decade (more likely half decade) is kinda ridiculous. The whole LA thing was originally just rhetoric and discussion. No one is saying that *will* happen - I certainly wasn't. But the thread has diverged into various other arguments about these cities. There are certain arguments which are ridiculous and only persevere due to the movie culture Hollywood has pervaded. Like Miami being listed on an Alpha city list. But as I said earlier that's changing rapidly as modern 24/7 news cycles become the constant norm, and a plethora of blogging, tweeting, and Facebooking, along with the general ability of everyone to cast their opinions via YouTube, other streaming services, etc....

The prevalence of social media and the news cycle have nothing to do with the economy of Los Angeles vs Houston or whether they're alpha cities or not, so what is the point of repeatedly bringing that up? And Hollywood culture has nothing to do with that either, since the movie industry in Los Angeles is much smaller than a lot of other industries in that area. We all know Houston is a fast growing metropolitan area...Lord knows the C-D posters from there love to remind us every few seconds.

5-7 years is a bit soon for Houston to surpass Chicago. At 2.6 Million people, it still larger than the city of Houston by about 350,000-400,000 people, and that's a large number of people, even for a fast-growing city like Houston, since many people who move to "Houston" are actually moving to the suburbs of Houston, not the city itself. According to the census, an estimated 40,000 people moved to the city itself between 2014 and 2015, and at those rates, it'll be about a decade or so before Houston surpasses Chicago. Call it ridiculous all you want, but examining suburban vs city growth into consideration is important since a lot of that growth will be in Suburban Harris, Ft. Bend, and Montgomery County. 10-20 years may be a bit more realistic for Houston surpassing Chicago, but half a decade? No way...In spite of Houston's size, it still follows the sunbelt trend of suburbs having more growth than the city itself.

Like I already said, Houston surpassing Chicago is inevitable, barring any unforeseen circumstances but how soon that will happen is all speculation until the 2020 Census numbers come out in 2021. ACS estimates are usually higher than the official count. I'm sure the numbers will be close by the 2020 census, but it'll definitely be official by the 2030 Census.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:41 PM

4,138 posts, read 4,161,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kace36 View Post
Actually I don't doubt Chicago is a great city. But it's just nowhere near staying ahead of Houston in population. And not just in city proper. You realize the entire metro agglomeration of Chicago is only about 9mil? Houston is 7mil now.
Houston's MSA is at 6.6 million. Chicago is at 9.5 million. Just an FYI. Anyway, carry on, homer.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:43 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,019,562 times
SO, just to get this straight, we're talking city PROPER, not MSA? Because Chicago has 3 million more people in its MSA. I thought EVERYONE on this site who discusses population, says that city proper doesn't matter, it's the MSA that counts. SO, what's the deal? I think I was writing this when the post above this appeared. It's ridiculous, to think they're only talking city proper here....that isn't nearly as important. People can't have it both ways....whatever suits them, is best. Just plain silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or