Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 02:45 PM

28 posts, read 21,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
The prevalence of social media and the news cycle have nothing to do with the economy of Los Angeles vs Houston or whether they're alpha cities or not, so what is the point of repeatedly bringing that up? And Hollywood culture has nothing to do with that either, since the movie industry in Los Angeles is much smaller than a lot of other industries in that area. We all know Houston is a fast growing metropolitan area...Lord knows the C-D posters from there love to remind us every few seconds.

Like I already said, Houston surpassing Chicago is inevitable, barring any unforeseen circumstances but how soon that will happen is all speculation until the 2020 Census numbers come out in 2021. ACS estimates are usually higher than the official count. I'm sure the numbers will be close by the 2020 census, but it'll definitely be official by the 2030 Census.
I'm more satisfied with this revised second half of the quote now. I do think it will be a bit sooner but you are correct 2021 census numbers will tell more. Totally agree.

About the Hollywood stuff. I brought it up bc I believe so many of our societal beliefs and how we see each of the cities is based largely on the Hollywood movie culture. I don't mean it to say anything about other LA economics. It's just that for decades that was the US households view into our countries cities. That was my point. Its changing now b/c that is no longer as important or affective on the society. And I brought up specifically about the Alpha cities b/c I believe Miami or Melbourne being on the Alpha list is indicative of exactly that Hollywood movie culture I mentioned. You are right it has nothing to do with the economies. That was kind of the exact point though to be honest. Just to be clear about that.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:46 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
Houston should have more people living in its' city proper than Chicago. After all, you can fit around 3 Chicago's within Houston's bloated city limits. And, no, Houston will never be the largest city in the United States.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:47 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kace36 View Post
I'm more satisfied with your revised second half of the quote now. I do think it will be a bit sooner but you are correct 2021 census numbers will tell more. Totally agree.

About the Hollywood stuff. I brought it up bc I believe so many of our society beliefs and how we see each of the cities is based largely on the Hollywood movie culture. I don't mean it say anything about other LA economics. It's just that for decades that was the US households view into our countries cities. That was my point. Its changing now b/c that is no longer as important or affective on the society. And I brought up specifically about the Alpha cities b/c I believe Miami or Melbourne being on the Alpha list is indicative of exactly that Hollywood movie culture I mentioned. You are right it has nothing to do with the economies. That was kind of the exact point though to be honest. Just to be clear about that.
Please let us know when Houston rises to the levels of Chicago and LA...THEN, we'll have something to discuss.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Houston's MSA is at 6.6 million. Chicago is at 9.5 million. Just an FYI. Anyway, carry on, homer.
Once again, im not from Houston. Nowhere near it. And Houston as of 2017 is closer to 7mil. And 9.5 is also stretching a good bit on the Chicago side too. I'll give it to you though and we can just split the middle Ok? Same same. It still means convergence will occur around the same time. Or another 5 years added, maybe.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:53 PM

I've never researched comparisons between these two cities before, as I just don't think they compare. AND, I was right. Houston has 579 sq miles with a population density of 3900 psm. Chicago exists within 227 sq miles, with a population density of 12,000 psm. Please tell me how this can be compared favorably for Houston.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:55 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
Once again, im not from Houston. Nowhere near it. And Houston as of 2017 is closer to 7mil. And 9.5 is also stretching a good bit on the Chicago side too. I'll give it to you though and we can just split the middle Ok? Same same. It still means convergence will occur around the same time. Or another 5 years added, maybe.
As of 2016, Chicago's metro is estimated 9.5 million, like he said. The CSA is 9.8. He's not stretching it, it's what it is. And Houston is estimated at 6.7, which would be 100K more than what he said, so it's technically closer, but not "closer to 7 mill", as in kissing 7 mil like you're making it sound.

You can't say "as of 2017" as we have no 2017 numbers. Plus we're only 4 months into the year.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:13 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
Quote:
I'm simply stating Chicago's MSA population as defined by the census bureau. It's 9.5 million, plain and simple. You're the one really stretching with Houston's 7 million. Houston's MSA is not 7 million. Might as well use Chicago's CSA population of 9.9 million in that comparison.

And, BTW, I don't really care where you're from. It doesn't matter.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I've never researched comparisons between these two cities before, as I just don't think they compare. AND, I was right. Houston has 579 sq miles with a population density of 3900 psm. Chicago exists within 227 sq miles, with a population density of 12,000 psm. Please tell me how this can be compared favorably for Houston.
Yes if you want to talk about population density then the whole list shifts and even LA falls dramatically below other cities like SF and Miami which are tiny comparatively. Obviously we can use any metric we like to gauge the "worthiness" of a city. I don't think density is one that is as important for me (all southern cities are known for their sprawl and less people density - LA included). I couldn't stand my time in NYC bc I hate that level of density. However I love city life and its various amenities and shopping access. Again we can use all kinds of metrics to gauge our rankings. If we based it on medical center size Houston would be Number 1. On density only? Miami or SF probably. On student to population ratio or largest universities and community colleges? Probably Austin. On financial sector? NYC. On venture capital? Prob Silicon Valley. It's just another metric. Originally we were talking about city proper pop sizes.

The point is you can't deny Houston is definitely a city that deserves to be in the #3 spot. Like I said before:
Largest medical center in world with some of the best doctors in the entire world from all specialties calling it home.
2nd largest port in the US
Home to NASA
Home to only city with no zoning laws which has created a very unique skyline
Home to HCC the 2nd largest community college in the US. Home to prestigious Rice University.
Home to the 2nd largest Hispanic population.
Home the 2nd largest Vietnamese population.
Has a decent size Chinatown as well
The 2nd largest number of Fortune 500 companies behind NYC
Home to the one of the largest & lengthiest freeway systems in the world. The widest freeway in the world (Katy freeway on I10 going into Katy @ 36 lanes). Some may consider this bad. Yes traffic is very bad but the point is it's a big modern place.
Huge international airport. Not the biggest but very active and quite large.
One of the few places that took in, or was even able to, our stranded fellow citizens from the Katrina disaster. Hundreds of thousands of refugees. A truly humanitarian effort and something to be applauded.

The other big cities have great things too. You could list many things of course. But you can't deny that Houston deserves to be on that list, and even in the soon to be #3 spot. It doesn't mean those other cities aren't great as well. Many of them are. I don't understand the hostility. Some people are being very respectful, courteous, and civil, but others are just getting all nasty. I don't get it.

Last edited by Kace36; 04-19-2017 at 03:31 PM..

Old 04-19-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Yes if you want to talk about population desnity then the whole list shifts and even LA falls dramatically below other cities like SF and Miami which are tiny comparatively. Obviously we can use any metric we like to gauge the "worthiness" of a city. I don't think density is one that is as important for me (all southern cities are known for their sprawl and less people density - LA included). I couldn't stand my time in NYC bc I hate that level of density. However I love city life and its various amenities And shopping access. Again we can use all kinds of metrics to gauge our rankings. If we based it on medical center size Houston would be Number 1. On density only? Miami or SF probably. On student to population ratio or largest universities and community colleges? Probably Austin. On financial sector? NYC. On venture capital? Prob Silicon Valley. It's just another metric. Originally we were talking about city proper pop sizes.

The point is you can't deny Houston is definitely a city that deserves to be in the #3 spot. Like I said before:
Largest medical center in world with some of the best doctors in the entire world from all specialties calling it home.
2nd largest port in the US
Home to NASA
Home to only city with no zoning laws which has created a very unique skyline
Home to HCC the 2nd largest community college in the US. Home to prestigious Rice University.
Home to the 2nd largest Hispanic population.
Home the 2nd largest Vietnamese population.
Has a decent size Chinatown as well
The 2nd largest number of Fortune 500 companies behind NYC
Home to the one of the largest & lengthiest freeway systems in the world. The widest freeway in the world (Katy freeway on I10 going into Katy @ 36 lanes). Some may consider this bad. Yes traffic is very bad but the point is it's a big modern place.
Huge international airport. Not the biggest but very active and quite large.
One of the few places that took in, or was even able to, our stranded fellow citizens from the Katrina disaster. Hundreds of thousands of refugees. A truly humanitarian effort and something to be applauded.

The other big cities have great things too. You could list many things of course. But you can't deny that Houston deserves to be on that list, and even in the soon to be #3 spot. It doesn't mean those other cities aren't great as well. Many of them are.
You're trying too hard. Houston is a sparsely populated city, that takes up a lot of room. I wonder what Chicago's population would be, if their square miles were as large as Houston. Food for thought, but it won't matter, because it appears Houston boosters can only see it their way.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:34 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
To add to this:

Houston has a smaller population than the NYC borough of Brooklyn alone, despite the fact that Houston has 9 Times the land area of Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.