U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 03:43 PM

28 posts, read 15,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
To add to this:

Houston has a smaller population than the NYC borough of Brooklyn alone, despite the fact that Houston has 9 Times the land area of Brooklyn.
Yes, sure. But go back to my prior post. We can use any metrics we want. That has nothing to do with the original topic though. I don't understand why some of you have this hostility about it. It's just a numbers fact. You could say the same of LA btw. Thats my point about that. That just comes down to cherry picking an argument that's unrelated and also excludes the fact that it negates all the arguments made for the "other" cities in the earlier posts.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:43 PM

4,138 posts, read 4,159,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kace36 View Post
Yes if you want to talk about population density then the whole list shifts and even LA falls dramatically below other cities like SF and Miami which are tiny comparatively. Obviously we can use any metric we like to gauge the "worthiness" of a city. I don't think density is one that is as important for me (all southern cities are known for their sprawl and less people density - LA included). I couldn't stand my time in NYC bc I hate that level of density. However I love city life and its various amenities and shopping access. Again we can use all kinds of metrics to gauge our rankings. If we based it on medical center size Houston would be Number 1. On density only? Miami or SF probably. On student to population ratio or largest universities and community colleges? Probably Austin. On financial sector? NYC. On venture capital? Prob Silicon Valley. It's just another metric. Originally we were talking about city proper pop sizes.

The point is you can't deny Houston is definitely a city that deserves to be in the #3 spot. Like I said before:
Largest medical center in world with some of the best doctors in the entire world from all specialties calling it home.
2nd largest port in the US
Home to NASA
Home to only city with no zoning laws which has created a very unique skyline
Home to HCC the 2nd largest community college in the US. Home to prestigious Rice University.
Home to the 2nd largest Hispanic population.
Home the 2nd largest Vietnamese population.
Has a decent size Chinatown as well
The 2nd largest number of Fortune 500 companies behind NYC
Home to the one of the largest & lengthiest freeway systems in the world. The widest freeway in the world (Katy freeway on I10 going into Katy @ 36 lanes). Some may consider this bad. Yes traffic is very bad but the point is it's a big modern place.
Huge international airport. Not the biggest but very active and quite large.
One of the few places that took in, or was even able to, our stranded fellow citizens from the Katrina disaster. Hundreds of thousands of refugees. A truly humanitarian effort and something to be applauded.

The other big cities have great things too. You could list many things of course. But you can't deny that Houston deserves to be on that list, and even in the soon to be #3 spot. It doesn't mean those other cities aren't great as well. Many of them are. I don't understand the hostility. Some people are being very respectful, courteous, and civil, but others are just getting all nasty. I don't get it.

Houston is most definitely not the number 3 metro in this country. At best, it's number 6 or 7. Also, both the Bay Area and Chicago have more Fortune 500 companies than Houston.

Also, "largrest freeways"? Are you serious? lol

Old 04-19-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, sure. But go back to my prior post. We can use any metrics we want. That has nothing to do with the original topic though. I don't understand why some of you have this hostility about it. It's just a numbers fact. You could say the same of LA btw. Thats my point about that. That just comes down to cherry picking an argument that's unrelated and also excludes the fact that it negates all the arguments made for the "other" cities in the earlier posts.
LA is actually more than twice as dense as Houston. It's urban area is way more dense as well.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Houston is most definitely not the number 3 metro in this country. At best, it's number 6 or 7. Also, both the Bay Area and Chicago have more Fortune 500 companies than Houston.

Also, "largrest freeways"? Are you serious? lol
Incorrect on Fortune 500 companies:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ies_in_Houston
Only NYC has more.

Search widest freeway in world (I misquoted btw - 26 lanes my bad). The Katy freeway. Well US maybe not world. Just search it. If you search widest freeway in US it should be the first Google response that comes up.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
LA is actually more than twice as dense as Houston. It's urban area is way more dense as well.
Yes, close. But that's still half Chicago. Way way less than NYC, Miami, and SF. So even then all the great arguments about LA make it fall abysmally down the list. Again, you can cherry pick a metric. Obviously all reports do. And all cities have their bright spots. This thread was never originally intended to promote such hostility or go to all these various places (of argument).

Old 04-19-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Incorrect on Fortune 500 companies:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ies_in_Houston
Only NYC has more.

Search widest freeway in world (I misquoted btw - 26 lanes my bad). The Katy freeway. Well US maybe not world. Just search it. If you search widest freeway in US it should be the first Google response that comes up.
Houston has the second most Fortune 500 companies within its' generous city limits. In terms of metro area, it does not. I was joking about the freeways. I don't think anyone cares about large freeways. If anything, that's a negative.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, close. But that's still half Chicago. Way way less than NYC, Miami, and SF. So even then all the great arguments about LA make it fall abysmally down the list. Again, you can cherry pick a metric. Obviously all reports do. And all cities have their bright spots. This thread was never originally intended to promote such hostility or go to all these various places (of argument).

A lot of LA city proper is mountains. While LA isn't really an urban city in the traditional sense it is fairly densely populated by US standards. Houston is not.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:05 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,546,799 times
Quote:
I don't know what your trying to say here? You do realize comparing Chicago to Port of Houston is like comparing a housecat to a lion? It's laughable to even put those 2 in the same league honestly (no offense to the original quoter).

Port of Houston does 230mil tons of trade yearly.
Port of Chicago does 15mil tons.

It is literally one of our busiest and largest ports in this country. Even NYC only does 125mil tons.... HALF what Houston does.

Just wanted to point this out b/c I don't know what your comment meant exactly?
Anyone would be nuts to compare a Lake port 1000-miles from a ocean. Why do you bring this up? NEVER would use any port facilities to DEFEND OR BOAST FOR CHICAGO. USE OTHER ASPECTS MENTIONED. you choose a trivial defense in CHICAGO IS NOT A PORT CITY. You brought in any port discussion. Comment I noted NO COMPARISON does Chicago have 1000 miles inland and PAST ANY STEEL AND MANUFACTURING GLORY ERA it had.

Houston surely can BOAST being a port city. But to claim a COASTAL CITY is debatable in why I commented on. Houston was basically created BY SHUNNING GALVESTON That was THEE city before a Hurricane devastated it and INVESTMENT MOVED INLAND. Then OIL FUELED IT.

But Houston basically SHUNNED THE COAST for much of its history. Its major investment and growth still are not coastal. But its Port is.

I utilized pictures to highlight Chicago APPEARS as a coastal city FAR MORE then Houston ever will. NOT PORT but in a SHORELINE of PARKS, HARBORS AND BEACHES AT ITS CORE and 26-mile border with Lake Michigan.

-- Flying to O'Hare -- Southside ---- North side - Downtown Park Harbor - North part downtown
Attached Thumbnails
Houston to be end largest city in America eventually?-over-chicagos-lakefront-downtown-landing-ohare__.jpg   Houston to be end largest city in America eventually?-chicago-south-side-.jpg   Houston to be end largest city in America eventually?-over-chicago-shore-looking-south-.jpg   Houston to be end largest city in America eventually?-looking-over-chicagos-latest-addition-its   Houston to be end largest city in America eventually?-chicagos-north-side-downtown..jpg  

Old 04-19-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
A lot of LA city proper is mountains. While LA isn't really an urban city in the traditional sense it is fairly densely populated by US standards. Houston is not.
It does have some dense areas. But so does Houston. Of course it's denser. It has about double the total metro population and they are roughly both the same sprawling metro sizes. So we would of course expect it to be roughly half the density. My point was that of cherry picking metrics. Bc yes even LA falls way down the list if you want to go just on densities. Many smaller US cities are denser. But no one made that argument about LA. We can do that all day long. That was never the intent more the point of the original post. It was just about population growths.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:08 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,305,291 times
Quote:
Yeah I agree that the same can be said about LA and every other sunbelt city, maybe excluding Miami. LA is at least trying to turn itself around but it still has a loooong way to go. But they're definitely trying.

It's more than just a numbers fact or statistic. It kind of shows you a lot about poor unsustainable city planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or