U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 04:12 PM

28 posts, read 15,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Anyone would be nuts to compare a Lake port 1000-miles from a ocean. Why do you bring this up? NEVER would use any port facilities to DEFEND OR BOAST FOR CHICAGO. USE OTHER ASPECTS MENTIONED. you choose a trivial defense in CHICAGO IS NOT A PORT CITY. You brought in any port discussion. Comment I noted NO COMPARISON does Chicago have 1000 miles inland and PAST ANY STEEL AND MANUFACTURING GLORY ERA it had.
If I offended I apologize. I really didn't know what your comment meant. I didn't. I couldn't make sense of it if it's the one I'm thinking about. That's why I said that. I thought you were comparing them. But also this is a great time and place here to point out the cherry picking arguments I talked about. You could say I was cherry picking there against Chicago. But I didn't mean to. I thought you were comparing the ports. Sorry, if you didn't mean or intend that.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:07 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,879,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kace36 View Post
The point is you can't deny Houston is definitely a city that deserves to be in the #3 spot. Like I said before:
Largest medical center in world with some of the best doctors in the entire world from all specialties calling it home.
2nd largest port in the US
Home to NASA
Home to only city with no zoning laws which has created a very unique skyline
Home to HCC the 2nd largest community college in the US. Home to prestigious Rice University.
Home to the 2nd largest Hispanic population.
Home the 2nd largest Vietnamese population.
Has a decent size Chinatown as well
The 2nd largest number of Fortune 500 companies behind NYC
Home to the one of the largest & lengthiest freeway systems in the world. The widest freeway in the world (Katy freeway on I10 going into Katy @ 36 lanes). Some may consider this bad. Yes traffic is very bad but the point is it's a big modern place.
Huge international airport. Not the biggest but very active and quite large.
One of the few places that took in, or was even able to, our stranded fellow citizens from the Katrina disaster. Hundreds of thousands of refugees. A truly humanitarian effort and something to be applauded.

The other big cities have great things too. You could list many things of course. But you can't deny that Houston deserves to be on that list, and even in the soon to be #3 spot. It doesn't mean those other cities aren't great as well. Many of them are. I don't understand the hostility. Some people are being very respectful, courteous, and civil, but others are just getting all nasty. I don't get it.
No it doesn't? It doesn't deserve anything. You can't be serious. That's like saying Chicago deserves to be #2 because it has the second largest skyline, and Miami #3. Or Atlanta deserves to be #3 instead of #9 because it has the 3rd most F500's. Or DC deserves #1 because it's the capital of MERICA, or San Fran deserves this because it's so wealthy, or Kansas City deserves this because its in the middle of the country.

Atlanta has or has had: the worlds busiest airport, worlds tallest escalator, worlds largest aquarium, worlds largest drive-in restaurant, was the birthplace of 24-hr cable news, is 1 of only 2 American cities to host the summer Olympics...yet I haven't seen any posters here trying to say Atlanta deserves this and that because of it all.

Houston is not the only city to have "worlds largest" and "America's largest" this and that. You can expend this list, but you can also make a list of things Chicago has, and so on. What's the point?

And ps Houston is not home to NASA, Washington DC is. Houston being home to Johnson SC is no different than suburban Maryland being home to Goddard, Huntsville being home to Marshall, and Cape Canaveral being home to JFK.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:22 PM

120 posts, read 52,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

I thought OMG. This person at least acknowledges Chicago has a ----> port 1000-miles from the ocean. TO BOAST/BOOST HOUSTON.

Priceless !!! Just never heard even Chicagoans? Boast of having a Port? Yet alone a port city.....
Please, look at the stats that I presented and if you disagree show some facts please.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:35 PM

4,843 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kace36 View Post
Incorrect on Fortune 500 companies:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ies_in_Houston
Only NYC has more.

Search widest freeway in world (I misquoted btw - 26 lanes my bad). The Katy freeway. Well US maybe not world. Just search it. If you search widest freeway in US it should be the first Google response that comes up.
Everything is bigger in Texas. Right on.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:40 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,697,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Houston has the second most Fortune 500 companies within its' generous city limits. In terms of metro area, it does not. I was joking about the freeways. I don't think anyone cares about large freeways. If anything, that's a negative.
Your right but the vast majrotiy of Houston's companies are well within the beltway which in itself is roughly 520 square miles.
Chicago- 32 (Metro)
Houston- 26 (Metro)
25 in Houston
1 in The Woodlands

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 04-19-2017 at 06:49 PM..

Old 04-19-2017, 06:46 PM

3,217 posts, read 1,543,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
Please, look at the stats that I presented and if you disagree show some facts please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
Houston's port completely outshines Chicago's port. The Houston port is presently expanding rapidly and bringing in state of the art cranes and the channel is being dug deeper to handle the new supercargo ships arriving from the expanded Panama canal. The $1.4 billion modernization project taking place now, including $700 million in general modernization.

Statistics » Welcome to

I will let others delve into Houston's huge medical sector as well as its energy sector.
This thread moves so fast.... had to go back to age 8 for this.
But honestly, the above post was not in reply in quote to me.... I don't know where this I MENTIONED CHICAGO'S PORT somehow best Houston's? It's nuts.

But really, why would one wish to promoted their cities stature vs. others it striving to surpass it in population WITH STATURE TOO? ----> With a port reference? Ports are generally not pretty and if not merely cruise ships to look at? Most others surely are not a pretty picture to boast of.

I understand the value economically a Port is. But would be low on a list to use for BOASTING for any city. I've never heard the Port of Seattle or LA used as a boasting stick. In city vs. city threads?
Though the Port of Chicago is a great asset connecting to the Gulf through the Mississippi and to the Atlantic through other Great Lakes and the St Lawrence Seaway. It's merely a --->Top 36 port in the Nation.

If YOU... want to argue PORTS fight for Houston vs. LA's region ports. LA is in the HOUSTON TO SURPASS TOPIC TOO.

It's the Port of Los Angeles, that's called America's Port, is a port complex that occupies 7,500 acres (3,000 ha) of land and water along LA's 43 miles of waterfront and adjoins the separate Port of Long Beach. LA is also a huge cruise ship port too.

*** Really when you realize ----> the WHOLE city of Chicago is like 26-miles long and like goes 10-15 miles wide. The Port of Houston is the fourth-largest city in the United States. Just Houston's port is a 25-mile-long complex of diversified public and private facilities located a few hours' sailing time from the Gulf of Mexico. It is the busiest port in the United States in terms of foreign tonnage, second-busiest in the United States in terms of overall tonnage, and thirteenth-busiest in the world.

So any PORT COMPARISONS??? Keep it HOUSTON vs. LA's ports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I understand. I don't understand what any of that has to do with population growth anyway. Isn't this thread about whether Houston will become the #3 city - in population - pretty soon?

My answer is no, but that's the thing, population data is objective. It's not set in stone as Houston (or Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, etc) is not guaranteed to keep posting like ~100k a year, but it's more objective than "my city has better museums than yours", which is seems is what this thread has dove into.

Personally, when Houston does pass Chicago, I think Chicago will still be the more important world city, but in the grand scheme that doesn't matter. Phoenix is 12th in metro area, but like in the 20's in GDP, but other than bragging rights, it just doesn't really matter that much. Chicago and Houston both will always be key players, doesn't matter which one is "#3" in my opinion.
EXACTLY.... Good post

Old 04-19-2017, 06:54 PM

3,750 posts, read 3,867,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Just to give you an idea of how excessive Houston's annexation is:

https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/wp-con...ographic-2.jpg

Not accurate.

It shows lake Houston and the HUGE western flood control reservoirs that cannot ever be developed.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:15 PM

4,843 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Your right but the vast majrotiy of Houston's companies are well within the beltway which in itself is roughly 520 square miles.
Chicago- 32 (Metro)
Houston- 26 (Metro)
25 in Houston
1 in The Woodlands
Where are most of Chicago's?

Old 04-19-2017, 08:12 PM

539 posts, read 245,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
And ps Houston is not home to NASA, Washington DC is. Houston being home to Johnson SC is no different than suburban Maryland being home to Goddard, Huntsville being home to Marshall, and Cape Canaveral being home to JFK.
There would be no NASA, no Johnson Space Center, no space travel at all, without the existence of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory of CalTech, which is located in...Pasadena CA.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 PM

3,217 posts, read 1,543,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Where are most of Chicago's?
Honestly, make sure you use new stats since so many headquarters have been relocated to Chicago's Core. But Houston has Big Oil in the bag.

Chicago Ranked Top Corporate Metro for Fourth Consecutive Year

Chicago Is Winning the Battle for the Executive Headquarters | Newgeography.com

Movement of headquarters is generally the Top elite executives today as a excuse to downsize by moving its Executive heads.
It does not need growth In overall population to grow stature and maintain it Globally. It is a city in changing demographics to a more highly educated population and wealthier.

It all has a very centric-city in ONE CORE HUGGING LAKE MICHIGAN. No one says it has a few Business districts as Houston claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or