U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 05:43 AM

4,849 posts, read 2,978,355 times

Advertisements

I hope so. Well deserved.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:04 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,364,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I hope so. Well deserved.
I'm hoping that was a cleverly masked sardonic comment.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:18 PM

330 posts, read 237,918 times
Houston could be the largest city, but it's highly unlikely. City population is meaningless.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:44 PM

4,480 posts, read 2,663,831 times
This is all about how much is annexed (or was annexed). If Houston added another 100 square miles of its existing suburbia, should we be more impressed?

Old 04-17-2017, 12:37 AM

28 posts, read 15,951 times
I dont think the annexing has a lot to do with it. People are migrating to TX in droves. Especially Californians. Houston is big in terms of land area, yes, but that really has little to do with its vast population.

And just to be perfectly clear I was not saying I think Houston will be the biggest or the 2nd biggest city, passing LA, at some point. I do think the issue or it passing Chicago is moot now and all but a foregone conclusion. It's a done deal practically. Houston *will* be the 3rd largest city in the US in the next 5 years. That ship has sailed.

I just wondered what people thought about the L.A. versus Houston comparison because Houston is growing so much faster than any of the other very large cities.

Whoever said that about DFW being bigger than Houston in urbanized agglomeration yes you are correct. I was talking about city populations. And also I dont think it will stay that way either. It's only by about 500k, basically 7.5mil DFW vs 7mil Houston and Houston is gaining faster. Just my opinion. I'm not from either place so it's nothing to do with that. Just my thoughts on it the topic.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:14 AM

4,849 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
This is all about how much is annexed (or was annexed). If Houston added another 100 square miles of its existing suburbia, should we be more impressed?
People of Galveston, you are now Houstonians. Welcome and congrats.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:34 AM

18,637 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kace36 View Post
I dont think the annexing has a lot to do with it. People are migrating to TX in droves. Especially Californians. Houston is big in terms of land area, yes, but that really has little to do with its vast population.

And just to be perfectly clear I was not saying I think Houston will be the biggest or the 2nd biggest city, passing LA, at some point. I do think the issue or it passing Chicago is moot now and all but a foregone conclusion. It's a done deal practically. Houston *will* be the 3rd largest city in the US in the next 5 years. That ship has sailed.

I just wondered what people thought about the L.A. versus Houston comparison because Houston is growing so much faster than any of the other very large cities.

Whoever said that about DFW being bigger than Houston in urbanized agglomeration yes you are correct. I was talking about city populations. And also I dont think it will stay that way either. It's only by about 500k, basically 7.5mil DFW vs 7mil Houston and Houston is gaining faster. Just my opinion. I'm not from either place so it's nothing to do with that. Just my thoughts on it the topic.
It kind of does. Most of what has been annexed in Houston is pretty much suburbia. It's either infilled with suburbia or is suburbia such as Kingwood (which was annex in 1996 and the last time the city actually has annexed I believe). It's 600 plus sq miles is the reason why the city of Houston has the population it has. Imagine if Chicago had 600 sq miles? It would become the 2nd largest city in the country again and Houston would have no chance of catching it. In fact, several other cities would pass Houston if it had 600 sq miles including DC, Philly, and San Francisco. Houston also will not be the 3rd largest city in 5 years. It will take a while before that happens. More like 15 if that. Also, I would not necessarily say Houston is gaining on DFW fast. Both have been growing around the same clip the last 10 years.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:54 AM

12,356 posts, read 18,225,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It kind of does. Most of what has been annexed in Houston is pretty much suburbia. It's either infilled with suburbia or is suburbia such as Kingwood (which was annex in 1996 and the last time the city actually has annexed I believe). It's 600 plus sq miles is the reason why the city of Houston has the population it has. Imagine if Chicago had 600 sq miles? It would become the 2nd largest city in the country again and Houston would have no chance of catching it. In fact, several other cities would pass Houston if it had 600 sq miles including DC, Philly, and San Francisco. Houston also will not be the 3rd largest city in 5 years. It will take a while before that happens. More like 15 if that. Also, I would not necessarily say Houston is gaining on DFW fast. Both have been growing around the same clip the last 10 years.
He probably meant overall. DFW beat Houston in 2016, but so far during this decade, Houston has been growing faster.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:35 AM

18,637 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
He probably meant overall. DFW beat Houston in 2016, but so far during this decade, Houston has been growing faster.
It has but it's been growing around the same clip. Both have received over 800,000 people so far this decade.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:41 AM

3,213 posts, read 1,546,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kace36 View Post
I saw this old link:
Houston 2nd largest city in the U.S. in the future?

It was closed so I couldn't reply so I started something new. I simply found it a bit funny in hindsight b/c there were people considering it wouldn't even make 3rd spot. And now witheir what we know, current trends, populations, it appears Houston will surpass Chicago as early as the next 6-7 years by 2025. Quite easily in fact. With some luck it could happen inside 4-5 years. Houston will pass Chicago in just a few years, that's not an if, it's simply a when.

But the weirder thing is the idea that it couldn't even possibly pass LA? Hmm? Never? LA is around 3.88mil people with just a trickle of yearly growth now. Houston meanwhile and Harris county in general, along with all major TX cities, is growing by about 2% or more annually, and by 2030 could easily be at ~3.1mil. So, I would say even the OPs (from original link above) estimate of "it could happen in about 60 years..." is just a *tad* off the mark It could happen in just another 25 years or so. Now New York I will give you is a looonger ways off but I just dont see LA being so insurmountable.

There are currently 3 of the top 10 largest cities in the US in Texas: Houston, Dallas, SA. And within roughly a year, maybe 2, it will be 4 (add Austin). Austin is now number 11 just *very* slightly (about 50k people) behind San Jose at number 10. It will undoubtedly pass it in the next year or two. That's a testament to the items I mentioned earlier, and the very strong migration, not only from northern states to the sun belt, but particularly Californian's to Texas.

Just thought that old article was interesting. Thoughts?
The OP basically calls Houston (city) passing Chicago (city) as OLD NEWS as it is. But claims many argued it would not happen. That was a would not happen argued for the Metro and not the city. Chicago has been in slow growth for decades. Its metro had most of the growth for decades already. Now Chicago's burbs are in slow growth too.

A older thread boasted Houston passing Chicago by 2020. That was argued by some as a no. That is now true. 2020 will not have it happen. It has had to be revised to by 2029. With many as the OP see in 6-7 yrs. with the OP still suggesting (hoping) it can be 4-5 yrs. yet.

The 2020 census will be the deciding factor for when. There has been commentary in Chicago having some burbs merge into the city? Doubtful but not a impossible feat in the future. Chicago should annex adjoining suburbs - Chicago Tribune

This isn't a -- official plan the city has to FIGHT BACK HOUSTON LOL. But the reality is Chicago does have something NOW to offer its next door burbs: ---> lower taxes. Ironic really. But it's because it contains so much valuable commercial, industrial and residential property, Chicago's 6.9 percent property tax rate is the lowest in Cook County. Much higher now in many burbs.

Annexations were easier for Sunbelt cities to pursue because they didn't have anyone to fight. As a result, seven of the nation's 10 largest cities are in the Sun Belt. (Toronto used a similar process to leap past Chicago in population, amalgamating with five neighboring suburbs). Miami, Nashville, Tenn., Charlotte, N.C., and Indianapolis have all merged with their surrounding counties.

Side note Toronto(city) passed Chicago(city) in 2013 or even 2012 Officially.

*** But the OP created this thread DIFFERENT in THE BOAST HAS CHICAGO PASSE' OLD NEWS AND A GIVEN.
But INFERS ----> LA NEXT (little as 25-years) and even promoting NYC in a much much farther. If ever I'd say.

Their are other threads just on Houston passing Chicago. HERE, we should be discussing the possibility to probability of Houston passing LA in another lifetime... NYC. AS THIS IS THE OP'S BIG HOPE IN THIS THREAD.

Instead it stays on old news of Chicago city proper passed. But Chicagoland is still securely the #2 metro.

What separated this thread form the others is the OP SUGGESTING LA IN REACH and even NYC to a eventual
Topic should address that more? A new thread of Will Houston ever pass fast growing Toronto too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or