U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 10:51 AM

1,185 posts, read 873,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It kind of does. Most of what has been annexed in Houston is pretty much suburbia. It's either infilled with suburbia or is suburbia such as Kingwood (which was annex in 1996 and the last time the city actually has annexed I believe). It's 600 plus sq miles is the reason why the city of Houston has the population it has. Imagine if Chicago had 600 sq miles? It would become the 2nd largest city in the country again and Houston would have no chance of catching it. In fact, several other cities would pass Houston if it had 600 sq miles including DC, Philly, and San Francisco. Houston also will not be the 3rd largest city in 5 years. It will take a while before that happens. More like 15 if that. Also, I would not necessarily say Houston is gaining on DFW fast. Both have been growing around the same clip the last 10 years.
You are correct. When Republicans took over the state legislature in the 1990's (Hard to believe it was only that recent), one of the first things they did was make it next to impossible for cities to annex new land. There had been a fair amount of outcry in conservative suburban areas about annexation into cities and having to 'subsidize poorer city residents.' Up until that time it had been fairly easy for Texas cities to annex new land, and it's why Texas cities are all so geographically large. Since the mid-90's, very little new land has been annexed by any of the large cities, but they continued to grow in population rapidly as many square miles of undeveloped land that has previously been annexed was developed. While Houston is continuing to have infill and increasing density inside the loop, the undeveloped land that drove most of Houston's growth from 2000-2010 is almost completely built up. Now, the vast majority of the growth is occurring outside city limits in places like the Woodlands, Katy, Sugarland, Pearland, and Cypress. Go look at the Houston forum. Almost all of the threads are about new developments outside the city.

I expect the metro to continue to grow rapidly, but the city will likely taper off as it moves from a rapid phase where undeveloped land becomes new subdivisions to a slower phase of increasing density inside the loop and infill development, similar to what has happened in LA. I don't expect it will catch or pass LA during any of our lifetimes, unless the state legislature in Texas makes annexation easy again.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:08 AM

2,778 posts, read 1,624,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
I think this thread has bad timing. Because Houston is taking a hit on its economy right now and both Los Angeles and even Chicago are doing pretty good.
How is Houston taking a hit on its economy????

Old 04-17-2017, 11:24 AM

4,987 posts, read 7,303,015 times
Well, I'm one of these people that will be contributing to Houston's population growth as I start a new job there May 15th and will officially get the keys to my new place in Houston on May 12th. Excited, but a little nervous too.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:50 AM

4,839 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
The OP basically calls Houston (city) passing Chicago (city) as OLD NEWS as it is. But claims many argued it would not happen. That was a would not happen argued for the Metro and not the city. Chicago has been in slow growth for decades. Its metro had most of the growth for decades already. Now Chicago's burbs are in slow growth too.

A older thread boasted Houston passing Chicago by 2020. That was argued by some as a no. That is now true. 2020 will not have it happen. It has had to be revised to by 2029. With many as the OP see in 6-7 yrs. with the OP still suggesting (hoping) it can be 4-5 yrs. yet.

The 2020 census will be the deciding factor for when. There has been commentary in Chicago having some burbs merge into the city? Doubtful but not a impossible feat in the future. Chicago should annex adjoining suburbs - Chicago Tribune

This isn't a -- official plan the city has to FIGHT BACK HOUSTON LOL. But the reality is Chicago does have something NOW to offer its next door burbs: ---> lower taxes. Ironic really. But it's because it contains so much valuable commercial, industrial and residential property, Chicago's 6.9 percent property tax rate is the lowest in Cook County. Much higher now in many burbs.

Annexations were easier for Sunbelt cities to pursue because they didn't have anyone to fight. As a result, seven of the nation's 10 largest cities are in the Sun Belt. (Toronto used a similar process to leap past Chicago in population, amalgamating with five neighboring suburbs). Miami, Nashville, Tenn., Charlotte, N.C., and Indianapolis have all merged with their surrounding counties.

Side note Toronto(city) passed Chicago(city) in 2013 or even 2012 Officially.

*** But the OP created this thread DIFFERENT in THE BOAST HAS CHICAGO PASSE' OLD NEWS AND A GIVEN.
But INFERS ----> LA NEXT (little as 25-years) and even promoting NYC in a much much farther. If ever I'd say.

Their are other threads just on Houston passing Chicago. HERE, we should be discussing the possibility to probability of Houston passing LA in another lifetime... NYC. AS THIS IS THE OP'S BIG HOPE IN THIS THREAD.

Instead it stays on old news of Chicago city proper passed. But Chicagoland is still securely the #2 metro.

What separated this thread form the others is the OP SUGGESTING LA IN REACH and even NYC to a eventual
Topic should address that more? A new thread of Will Houston ever pass fast growing Toronto too?
If I were Houston, I'd try to annex Austin, San Antonio and DFW. That should do the trick.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:59 AM

290 posts, read 283,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
How is Houston taking a hit on its economy????
Resilience in the Face of a No-Growth Scenario

Old 04-17-2017, 12:55 PM

812 posts, read 1,070,560 times
If Houston wants to keep growing they need to keep diversifying their portfolio. The heavy reliance on the oil industry will most likely eventually betray them, just a the manufacturing sector did to the Rust-Belt. Chicago crawled away from a meltdown, but a lot of what hinders it today are remnants of that economic shift.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:27 PM

4,839 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
If Houston wants to keep growing they need to keep diversifying their portfolio. The heavy reliance on the oil industry will most likely eventually betray them, just a the manufacturing sector did to the Rust-Belt. Chicago crawled away from a meltdown, but a lot of what hinders it today are remnants of that economic shift.
Are Chicagoans nervous or intimidated by the possibility of Houston overtaking them?

Old 04-17-2017, 02:23 PM

28 posts, read 15,931 times
DavePA, I respect your right to your opinions and welcome your replies, but I do feel it's old news about Chicago. It may seem securely in place as the 3rd spot but it's just a very small matter of time as Chicago's population shrinks and Houston grows at a phenomenal rate. The convergence will occur by 2025 almost without question. Houston is only 400k people behind Chicago now and is growing incredibly fast (the fastest of any of the top 10 largest cities and even a contender for some of the smaller fastest growing cities).

I don't hope. I'm just making an observation. And I did clearly say I didn't want to suggest that LA *would* be passed, just that I saw it as a plausible argument in a 25 year time span. Which I thought was funny compared to the original original posters claim of 60 years. If it happens it will be way earlier. That was my main point. And I clearly said that NYC might be insurmountable. But sunbelt cities have overtaken northern cities for a very long time and so it's not a totally unrealistic expectation that *eventually* some sunbelt city will surpass NYC even. Yes it will always be big. But they have nowhere to go now.

Anyway, I do see the issue of "if" Houston will pass Chicago as a silly argument now. By 2030, if not sooner, Houston will have fairly easily 3-3.2mil people in the city proper (without any additional annexing). Chicago already doesn't even have that many people. It really is a foregone conclusion.

Last edited by Kace36; 04-17-2017 at 02:42 PM..

Old 04-17-2017, 02:23 PM

330 posts, read 237,669 times
Guys Houston isn't declining. The city did take a hit from the oil bust last year, but I a sure you it's still growing. There is more to Houston than just oil.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:36 PM

812 posts, read 1,070,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Are Chicagoans nervous or intimidated by the possibility of Houston overtaking them?
No, not really. It just something else that falls into the myriad of headlines that discusses the decline of the state, something almost every citizen is aware of. Chicago is at a strange point in time. The state is being done in by decades of crappy leadership, but money is pouring into this city. The south side is hollowing out, but the north side is experiencing a boom. High-rise construction is at its peak, but the crime rate has continued to be unstable.

All this craziness seems to be either galvanizing people to find solutions, sends them fleeing, or people just sit around an complain without wanting to be more civilly involved or informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or