U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 02:40 PM

28 posts, read 15,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
If Houston wants to keep growing they need to keep diversifying their portfolio. The heavy reliance on the oil industry will most likely eventually betray them, just a the manufacturing sector did to the Rust-Belt. Chicago crawled away from a meltdown, but a lot of what hinders it today are remnants of that economic shift.
I dont quite get where this pervasive thinking of TX as relying only on oil comes from. You are dead on about the rust belt comment but it also has large amounts to do with the migration from cold cities to warmer cities with more room and less density, a trend that has gone on for decades upon decades since the 50s basically.

Anyway, yes, TX has had a lot of oil and that made it a very rich place. But TX also boasts some of the largest tech sectors in the US. Austin (known as the Silicon Hills now & second probably only to the Silicon Valley), Dallas, Houston. Dallas is a financial mecca with I believe more Fortune 1000 financial firm density than even NYC. Houston is only bested by NYC in total number of Fortune company headquarters (not per capita, period...total).

And the idea from whoever said Houston has been in economic trouble recently? Whaaaa??? Where did you get that? That's not even close to true. Just an fyi for everyone bc that's blatant misinformation.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:43 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kace36 View Post
I dont quite get where this pervasive thinking of TX as relying only on oil comes form. You are dead on about the rust belt comment but it also has large amounts to do with the migration from cold cities to warmer cities with more room and less density, a trend that has gone one for decades upon decades since the 50s basically.

Anyway, yes, TX has had a lot of oil and that made it a very rich place. But TX also boasts some of the largest tech sectors in the US. Austin (known as the Silicon Hills bow & second probably only to the Silicon Valley), Dallas, Houston. Dallas is a financial mecca with I believe more Fortune 1000 financial firm density than even NYC. Houston is only bested by NYC in total number of Fortune company headquarters (not per capita, period...total).

And the idea from whoever said Houston has been in economic trouble recently? Whaaaa??? Where did you get that? That's not even close to true. Just an fyi for everyone bc that's blatant misinformation.

Are you suggesting Austin has the largest tech sector after the silicon valley?

is it even in the top 5 at this point

and you are comparing DFW to NYC on finance let alone a Boston etc?

seriously?

Old 04-17-2017, 02:49 PM

812 posts, read 1,070,760 times
Just to give you an idea of how excessive Houston's annexation is:

https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/wp-con...ographic-2.jpg

Old 04-17-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Are you suggesting Austin has the largest tech sector after the silicon valley?

is it even in the top 5 at this point

and you are comparing DFW to NYC on finance let alone a Boston etc?

seriously?
Top 10 US Tech Cities | United States Vacation Destinations and Guides : TravelChannel.com | Travel Channel

https://www.matrixres.com/resources/...rkets-in-2016/

These are a year old too. Yes, Austin is easily in the top 5. Thats silly to even act like it's ludicrous to suggest. Really. Come on now. I mean sure Boston is one too. But yes in total number of companies and general tech focus I put the Silicon Hills behind only the Silicon Valley. There are 6000+ tech related companies now roughly in the latest chamber of commerce business listings.

Also Dallas I did not say is the number one financial market. I didn't say that at all. I said I believe I've read some places that it has as high or higher financial density (per capita) than NYC.

And yes Boston and some others are great places too for tech and finances. But ya Austin (Silicon Hills area) is in the top 5...lol. That's just silly. Come on. In terms of total # of tech companies it's way way up there, and in terms of hot locations, jobs outlook, etc... it's extremely high on the list.

Top tech locations in US imho (as a 25+yr veteran of the software/tech industry): SF/San Jose/Palo - Silicon Valley, Austin/Round Rock/San Marcos - Silicon Hills, Seattle, NYC, Boston, DC area.

Also about the original issue of Houston, they still have more Fortune headquarters than any US city except NYC. That was one of the other points about how it's not all about oil. And going back to Houston as the topic of this thread.

Last edited by Kace36; 04-17-2017 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Correction: meant to say "except NYC" not "including NYC" at the end.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:31 PM

308 posts, read 186,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kace36 View Post

Also about the original issue of Houston, they still have more Fortune headquarters than any US city including NYC. That was one of the other points about how it's not all about oil. And going back to Houston as the topic of this thread.

You do realize that 22 out of the 25 Fortune 500 companies in Houston are oil industry companies, right? How is that not reliant on oil?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ies_in_Houston

Old 04-17-2017, 03:42 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,277,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
You do realize that 22 out of the 25 Fortune 500 companies in Houston are oil industry companies, right? How is that not reliant on oil?

Nope, at least 8 of those companies shown aren't focused on oil. More if you account for companies that have oil, but also cover some other industries as well.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:57 PM

812 posts, read 1,070,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Nope, at least 8 of those companies shown aren't focused on oil. More if you account for companies that have oil, but also cover some other industries as well.
How many of them are energy-based? 17 out of 25 is still pretty heavy. However, I will say that Houston is somewhat fortunate to have a niche economy to rely on, it's just that oil has an unsure future.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:00 PM

308 posts, read 186,258 times
Quote:
You're right, I should of said that 22 out of 25 of Houston's Fortune 500 companies are in the oil and gas industries, the vast majority being in oil. If you disagree with that statement you are in flat out denial. I encourage anyone to look through the list of Houston's Fortune 500 companies I posted and you will see that I am 100% correct. Those companies are all super reliant on oil, and to say they have "some other industries" is just misleading and skewing the facts.

Last edited by pinytr; 04-17-2017 at 04:11 PM..

Old 04-17-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post

Quote:
Well not only that but the point is that Fortune companies don't make up the whole economy. It's just a powerful statement that Houston is only bested by NYC in total number of Fortune 500 corporations. But there are many, many, many thousands of others companies that make up the city. Tech companies, finance/business, energy, chemicals, retail, manufacturing, etc...

Houston is a very big tech center. There are tons of jobs in finance and tech in Houston. Simply because the city has many Fortune 500 oil or gas companies does not make it reliant on oil. It just means it might have been built on that originally, decades ago, or, that is why it has so many of those Fortune 500 companies; possibly. But there are so many others. And many other large ones that don't quite fall into Fortune 500 or even Fortune 1000 but are still very large companies in other industries.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:12 PM

4,849 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
No, not really. It just something else that falls into the myriad of headlines that discusses the decline of the state, something almost every citizen is aware of. Chicago is at a strange point in time. The state is being done in by decades of crappy leadership, but money is pouring into this city. The south side is hollowing out, but the north side is experiencing a boom. High-rise construction is at its peak, but the crime rate has continued to be unstable.

All this craziness seems to be either galvanizing people to find solutions, sends them fleeing, or people just sit around an complain without wanting to be more civilly involved or informed.
My job will eventually let me live in either California, Chicago, DC or NYC, well possibly anywhere in the US. I'm considering Chicago big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or