Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 06:03 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Once again: not gonna happen.
It's not like Houston and other sunbelt cities have unlimited land. Yeah, most of them have more land than NYC, but NYC makes much better use of its land. Like another poster said, Houston would have to just keep annexing more land for that to ever happen. A LOT more land. NYC finds new ways to build and further density on land it already has, and the way NYC is built allows for that density. Sunbelt cities do not.
You must be threatened by Houston's ominous shadow.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:40 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Why do so many people here just project out current straight line population trends and then act as if that is what will happen? That's not reality, things change economically, socially, demographically, and logistically. Once an area reaches certain levels of population it becomes much much harder to continue to grow at anything like the previous rates that got it there, especially for a sprawling city like Houston. Unless it keeps growing by annexing as has been mentioned, but that isn't growing a city, its just changing the definition to make it even more suburban.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:11 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Why do so many people here just project out current straight line population trends and then act as if that is what will happen? That's not reality, things change economically, socially, demographically, and logistically. Once an area reaches certain levels of population it becomes much much harder to continue to grow at anything like the previous rates that got it there, especially for a sprawling city like Houston. Unless it keeps growing by annexing as has been mentioned, but that isn't growing a city, its just changing the definition to make it even more suburban.
I'm not really complementing Houston to say this. But even if it annexes no more land. Houston has a lot of old sprawl with older ranch homes on largish lots to keep it re-doing with newer denser infill for years to come.

It will evolve to another city as it continues to add infill of whole new blocks. But reply has no plan to guide developers. They basically build what they want. Time will tell if a "no zoning" re-built city becomes the envy of the nations other cities? But IT CAN'T DO WORST then it already has.....

Some older growth cities actually partitioned new blocks of growth before developers built the homes to sell. Houston just lets developers re-do the whole block as it wants..... just don't mess with the ditch. LOL. That can hide it better and cover and curb the street. Again, 'cause the city ain't gonna do it. So whole new developments within the city can still have ditches more like a 3rd world one. But t least it can be nice and green.... and still have a ugly wooden power-line pole in fronts.

Last edited by DavePa; 04-18-2017 at 10:23 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 10:38 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Houston to be end largest city in America eventually?

A bleak future indeed if Houston somehow inherits that designation. Most of our major cities are on the coast and with rising sea levels they will be at risk. Flat coastal areas will not be attractive as marshes. I think an inland city has a better chance --- and yes, the entire metropolitan area is the proper measurement. Albuquerque is bigger than Atlanta if you only look at city limit population.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:48 AM

307 posts, read 330,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kace36 View Post

And the idea from whoever said Houston has been in economic trouble recently? Whaaaa??? Where did you get that? That's not even close to true. Just an fyi for everyone bc that's blatant misinformation.

Do you really want me to explain the scale of the problem?

Last edited by pinytr; 04-18-2017 at 11:09 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 11:35 AM

976 posts, read 1,056,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
You do realize that 22 out of the 25 Fortune 500 companies in Houston are oil industry companies, right? How is that not reliant on oil?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ies_in_Houston
Also, many of the large employers in the Medical Center, like MD Anderson, etc. are not public companies so they won't show up on the Fortune 500.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:01 PM

976 posts, read 1,056,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Once again: not gonna happen.
It's not like Houston and other sunbelt cities have unlimited land. Yeah, most of them have more land than NYC, but NYC makes much better use of its land. Like another poster said, Houston would have to just keep annexing more land for that to ever happen. A LOT more land. NYC finds new ways to build and further density on land it already has, and the way NYC is built allows for that density. Sunbelt cities do not.
So, I've done extensive research on the actual development of New York City. Not an exact apples to apples comparison but NYC was created in 1624 and Houston in 1836. Houston, at age 181 is light years ahead of where NYC was, in terms of the built environment, in the same age (1805). Central Park was still 60+ years away, most of the land around it anyway was underdeveloped sprawl wasteland and obviously the great mass transit system was WAYS off. Europeans routinely wrote articles how dumpy NYC was and that it would NEVER match the charm of European cities. See the ironic similarities.

Let's say we look at NYC at age around age 250...There were still major areas of Manhattan where living conditions were so third-world like that they would have to be condemned..i.e. Five Points. The Five Points was nothing more than a district built on top of a dumping pond that had been filled in anyway...what's wrong with that..right?

Let's look at NYC at around age 275-300, again today's infrastructure was just starting but NYC had areas that were extremely sub-standard. The living conditions in the dumbbell tenements was so dangerous that it forced entire building codes to change.

So, do we really want to take a snap shot of where Houston is today, or do we want to acknowledge that perhaps Houston and Chicago (I'd add Miami also) are among the fastest growing developed cities the world has ever seen. Their growth has been nothing short of miraculous.

Here's the thing that most non-Houstonians can't grasp...Houston is destined to be a monster! Yes...an urban city-loving type monster..it is happening. Forget the suburbs...I'm talking about the Inner Loop + Uptown.
Every single day, it continues to add density and urbanize. Downtown is adding residential towers at such an alarming clip that even I have lost count. I've been watching it with my own 2 eyes.
Come on down...I'd be happy to give you a tour.

We just hosted the Super Bowl and I heard many out of town media members (people who spend their whole lives traveling) say that downtown Houston reminded them of Chicago. Their words....That's the impression modern day Houston is leaving. Sure we've done things wrong in the past but the more I research other cities growth patterns , the more I appreciate what has happened here in Houston, Texas and how far ahead they are of every single major city, at their age, except for Chicago!

Old 04-18-2017, 12:22 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
So, I've done extensive research on the actual development of New York City. Not an exact apples to apples comparison but NYC was created in 1624 and Houston in 1836. Houston, at age 181 is light years ahead of where NYC was, in terms of the built environment, in the same age (1805). Central Park was still 60+ years away, most of the land around it anyway was underdeveloped sprawl wasteland and obviously the great mass transit system was WAYS off. Europeans routinely wrote articles how dumpy NYC was and that it would NEVER match the charm of European cities. See the ironic similarities.

Let's say we look at NYC at age around age 250...There were still major areas of Manhattan where living conditions were so third-world like that they would have to be condemned..i.e. Five Points. The Five Points was nothing more than a district built on top of a dumping pond that had been filled in anyway...what's wrong with that..right?

Let's look at NYC at around age 275-300, again today's infrastructure was just starting but NYC had areas that were extremely sub-standard. The living conditions in the dumbbell tenements was so dangerous that it forced entire building codes to change.

So, do we really want to take a snap shot of where Houston is today, or do we want to acknowledge that perhaps Houston and Chicago (I'd add Miami also) are among the fastest growing developed cities the world has ever seen. Their growth has been nothing short of miraculous.

Here's the thing that most non-Houstonians can't grasp...Houston is destined to be a monster! Yes...an urban city-loving type monster..it is happening. Forget the suburbs...I'm talking about the Inner Loop + Uptown.
Every single day, it continues to add density and urbanize. Downtown is adding residential towers at such an alarming clip that even I have lost count. I've been watching it with my own 2 eyes.
Come on down...I'd be happy to give you a tour.

We just hosted the Super Bowl and I heard many out of town media members (people who spend their whole lives traveling) say that downtown Houston reminded them of Chicago. Their words....That's the impression modern day Houston is leaving. Sure we've done things wrong in the past but the more I research other cities growth patterns , the more I appreciate what has happened here in Houston, Texas and how far ahead they are of every single major city, at their age, except for Chicago!
Ignore the haters. NYC, Chicago, LA residents are scared of Houston and its potential. Wait till Houston annexes South Padre. Our beaches will put LA and Miami's to shame.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:36 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Ignore the haters. NYC, Chicago, LA residents are scared of Houston and its potential. Wait till Houston annexes South Padre. Our beaches will put LA and Miami's to shame.
Lmao! South Padre is only 368 miles away, but whatever, Houston!

Old 04-18-2017, 03:11 PM

657 posts, read 802,217 times
Quote:
Houston to be end largest city in America eventually?
That would be an embarrassment. Wouldn't want that city to be the first thing that comes to mind when people think of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.