U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 04:31 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,878,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palpatein View Post
To J33:

It's rude when you live in America, an English-speaking country
and there are illegal immigrants speaking their foreign language
around you.

1 How do you know they are illegal? Would it be less rude of they were legal? Or a tourist?
2 When you visit another country in which English isn't the spoken language, would you refuse to speak a lick of English to anyone who spoke English least someone think you were a 'rude illegal immigrant'?
3 Finally, why on earth do you possibly care what language someone who isn't even speaking to you speaks to his or her mother, friend, or child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 04:47 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,630,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post

1 How do you know they are illegal? Would it be less rude of they were legal? Or a tourist?
2 When you visit another country in which English isn't the spoken language, would you refuse to speak a lick of English to anyone who spoke English least someone think you were a 'rude illegal immigrant'?
3 Finally, why on earth do you possibly care what language someone who isn't even speaking to you speaks to his or her mother, friend, or child?
i completely agree with this statement.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:33 PM

87,062 posts, read 102,785,508 times
Spanish, hispanic accents, Indian accents, Chinese are the main ones we hear around Louisville, CO. The office where I work is very popular with the Chinese and Indian community.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:59 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,720,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaJasMi View Post
I am trying to learn Finnish, it is cool that you got to hear it. I have never been able to hear it from a native.
i would get tired of hearing it, I think I still know a few natives...now I get so tired of hearing Korean...god I hear that on a daily basis...

Illegals don't know how to speak english it was there first language...IF they have to they will try but why should they be expected to speak english in a public place when addressing another Hispanic or family?
I get sized up all the time, and people will just come up to me and start talking Spanish. Although I am fluent and can understand both Formal and Informal...I take it as a complement.
Its good American have to learn more the one language anyways, it make us less ignorant. Europeans have to learn like 50 languages to speak with everyone in like a 2 mile radius...i think we can handle 2...it makes us more diverse anyways.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:29 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,328,563 times
English competes with Spanish as the predominant language in my neighborhood. Also heard on occasion are Polish and, if I go to the right places, Romanian. Polish becomes a lot more prevalent about a mile south of here.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:31 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,328,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Where I used to live (about 4 miles from where I live now), I used to hear a lot of Korean, Spanish, Farsi, Arabic, Cambodian/Khmer, Romanian, and about everything else . . .
Let me guess, you used to live in Albany Park...

Old 03-08-2008, 08:29 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,878,895 times
I sure did, for two years.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:18 AM

4,382 posts, read 15,337,785 times
Ya know, i believe the US does not have an official language, English is just the predominate language so you can't really say its an English speaking country. Anyway, on a regular basis, i hear English and Spanish. I will occasionally hear an Asian language or a European language too

Old 03-08-2008, 10:19 AM

4,382 posts, read 15,337,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
i completely agree with this statement.
And so do I

Old 03-08-2008, 01:56 PM

87,062 posts, read 102,785,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Ya know, i believe the US does not have an official language, English is just the predominate language so you can't really say its an English speaking country. Anyway, on a regular basis, i hear English and Spanish. I will occasionally hear an Asian language or a European language too
Some states have passed "official English" referenda. I believe Nebraska is one. But you are correct, the US has no "official" language as a country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or