U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 06:35 AM

4,843 posts, read 2,973,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbnRushd View Post
Northern VA/the DC area seems appealing, where would you recommend specifically in the area? I ask because it seems hugely varied
It is very expensive here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 07:05 AM

179 posts, read 125,669 times
Dearborn, or pick somewhere in the Middle East ? Maybe Montreal Canada and live around St. Denis community. that would be best.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:11 AM

17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times
Quote:
I'm a recent graduate, a Muslim and I have a degree in Biology.
What kind of career are you looking to get into? Just having a degree in biology may not be enough.

You probably need to continue with school and get a masters or go to med school if you want to go that route.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:33 AM

3,511 posts, read 2,968,854 times
OP, I'd recommend Philadelphia or its suburbs. Since you're already in NYC, in practical terms, that would reduce your moving costs, being only 90 minutes away. The city is much less crowded than NYC or Chicago, and much cleaner than Detroit. Cheaper CoL than NYC or Chicago, but with comparable amenities (especially when compared to Chicago). Winters are essentially identical to NYC (very slightly warmer), so you know what you're getting. With a biology degree, you'd be very marketable and able to find a great job, as Greater Philly is a huge biopharmaceutical and chemical center (GlaxoSmithKline, AstraZeneca, DuPont, etc). There are also plenty of nice, walkable towns linked to the city through regional rail, so you can have the best of both worlds.

Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

Greater Philadelphia also has the highest proportion of Muslims of any metropolitan area (and definitely top 5 in raw numbers). Granted, a huge percentage are African-American (~85%), and, like many religions, are Muslim in name only, so that may or may not be an issue (based on your intro, doesn't seem like it, but it's worth noting). But I don't think you'd have a problem finding a good community as a single, white guy.

https://billypenn.com/2016/01/29/wha...a-of-the-west/

Jehron Muhammad: Philly's growing Muslim presence

Old 04-18-2017, 09:53 AM

26 posts, read 14,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie_g View Post
Dearborn, or pick somewhere in the Middle East ? Maybe Montreal Canada and live around St. Denis community. that would be best.
I'm American, I don't want to live in the Middle East nor do I want to move to Canada or St Denis in France.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:10 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,984 posts, read 3,448,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Crime isn't a problem for the average person moving to Chicago. You just have to stay out the "no go" areas of the city and you'll be crime free. It is like that with any city really.

The areas to avoid are much of the Westside and Southside of Chicago. As a disclaimer, not all of the Southside is bad because it is physically a huge area of the city, so has plenty of areas that are good but a large amount of it is blighted and can be very dangerous. Also avoid areas like Gary, Indiana which is a close by place in Northwest Indiana, where some of Chicago's suburbs are.

The best areas in the city of Chicago are in the Northside, neighborhoods like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Near North Side, Edison Park and the like. The majority of the suburbs west and north of the city are pretty good, relatively safe, and offer all the essential amenities with a high standard of living.

Everything you asked for is available in Chicago. The city has beaches in the core of the city, it is a cold weather city where snow in winter is a normal occurrence, it is relatively affordable (especially compared to New York or the Washington DC area), housing on an average salary is attainable for purchase, and the place is good for your career.

I would say Bridgeview, Albany Park, Oak Lawn, or really anywhere in DuPage County would work great for you if you want to be around a large Muslim population in the Chicago area. Naperville, for a suburban city would also work terrific for you and there is access to public transport out there (via Metra). The rent for an apartment in these areas are likely half or less of what the average rent is in New York and you'll be pretty safe from crime as well.

I have lived in Chicago, Houston, and Washington DC, I would recommend Chicago to you over anywhere else that has been mentioned in this thread. If you're looking for an affordable city (relative to New York and many other large cities) with pretty much everything to offer from great food, to night scene, to job opportunities, to transit, to infrastructure, to diversity and all of that then Chicago is the best option for you.

Zillow will help you find an apartment or living accommodations that suit your preferences in location, pricing, amenities offered nearby, or transit options:

https://www.zillow.com/chicago-il/apartments/
How affordable really is Chicago? I'm asking just because i'm curious. I agree that major cities like NYC, Chicago, Philly, DC etc should be the top target for the OP. How much of the "safe" part of Chicago is truly affordable in relation to those East Coast cities? It is to my understanding that much of inside the loop in Chicago is increasingly becoming more expensive.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:27 AM

351 posts, read 550,293 times
Nobody has mentioned Houston.

But if being in a community with deep roots in this country is important to you, Maybe Dearborn, MI is the best bet.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:05 PM

54 posts, read 42,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie_g View Post
This guy is right. Dearborn or somewhere in the Middle East. Nowadays Europe is ripe for the picking as well. Sweden or the UK have open borders for now!

Old 04-18-2017, 01:38 PM

294 posts, read 158,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlizzardsAndSuch View Post
This guy is right. Dearborn or somewhere in the Middle East. Nowadays Europe is ripe for the picking as well. Sweden or the UK have open borders for now!

Clearly reading comprehension isn't your strong suit...

Quote:
I'm American, I don't want to live in the Middle East nor do I want to move to Canada or St Denis in France.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:03 PM

650 posts, read 410,226 times
Quote:
Northern VA/the DC area seems appealing, where would you recommend specifically in the area? I ask because it seems hugely varied

Depending on what type of a job the OP has lined up/plans to get, DC and NoVA have a fairly high COL. While most jobs center around DC/suburbs, the rental/housing pricing closer also reflects it; as it is higher than further out from DC. Traffic is very heavy around DC area, so while you may be able to afford more property for a bit less further out, you will be paying for that with your time and nerves (sometimes). I love the NoVA area, having lived here for over a decade and would not try to sway anyone from coming to live here, just being realistic in expectations. I used to live in NYC, so completely understand the desire to leave that general area. To the OP, if you are interested in NoVA, take a look at Arlington, Alexandria (especially Old Town area - not cheap, but an extremely historic and walkable area with plenty of restaurant, supermarket, etc. choices and still a very short jaunt into DC). Of course do check out employment opportunities as that will highly likely drive potential areas to live, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or