U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2017, 06:46 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,749 posts, read 6,160,499 times
Reputation: 3601

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Sure Baltimore can stand alone all it wants to, then you have this reality:
You scared me for a second. I thought were going to show me more than some suburbs meshing. I thought that you were going to show me that the two city limits border each other like the Raleigh-Durham CSA. Good thing you can still see where one MSA ends and another MSA begins.

*wipes forehead*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2017, 07:44 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,992 posts, read 3,471,334 times
Reputation: 2461
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You scared me for a second. I thought were going to show me more than some suburbs meshing. I thought that you were going to show me that the two city limits border each other like the Raleigh-Durham CSA. Good thing you can still see where one MSA ends and another MSA begins.

*wipes forehead*
The photo doesn't show a break in any metro area, I showed you that! You wouldn't have even known where either metro ends. What are you looking at?? Lol

No point of arguing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2017, 07:50 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,749 posts, read 6,160,499 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Which stunts? I can't imagine anything major, they aren't I'm the same state.

By being about to market itself as a metro of 2.2 million people and apply for certain grants with population thresholds. It could help push the commuter rail through which would bring them closer together. Politically the two are polar opposites so this could help bring them together as far as large scale projects that benefit the region. This would also bring in the Northshore (Hammond to Slidell) to more resemble the Bay area.
That would make sense for Baton Rouge then. For Baltimore, already being a major city/metro that would be shooting itself in the foot economically (losing revenue for basically say, "hey go to DC, we'll just come see you there, and generate more revenue for them by visiting").

As stated earlier, DC natives look at is as a bragging point to make their region look better; however, the could care less about Baltimore.

My disdain comes from comment's like, "DC shines in all metrics without Baltimore. The only thing it adds is total population and total GDP, no added diversity, median income, TPI, or immigration percentages are better with the inclusion of Baltimore. Relax, y'all aren't that important"

and

"I want the Washington MSA to poach Howard and Anne Arundel from Baltimore in 2023. That would be another 900k people by then most likely."
Direct quotes from DC area natives

So, yea that's why I go at DC that way I do. Plus, being a Baltimore native (and homer), I want my city/metro to win on its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2017, 11:36 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,992 posts, read 3,471,334 times
Reputation: 2461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
I expect/hope that they do, but probably not in 2020.
I expect the urban areas to merge definitely, but still probably after 2020. The MSA's will simply stay separated until one or the other crosses the commuting threshold simple as that. Today as we speak though, the gray area in between both has blended considerably more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 12:00 AM
 
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
992 posts, read 579,924 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why do you hope they will?
I like big, rich, connected, urban, dense, polycentric metro areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 07:45 AM
 
29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Reputation: 18540
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Because it makes sense from a marketing standpoint I'd imagine. I can't see why people wouldn't want them to.
Because all that would mean is endless sprawl between the two metros, at least under the current rules/criteria. It's already bad enough but I'm not itching to see even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 07:51 AM
 
29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Reputation: 18540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
I like big, rich, connected, urban, dense, polycentric metro areas.
So no real reason, you just want to see the change on paper.

But this is already the case as a CSA. The two merging into one MSA, under the current rules, would probably be the result of a lot more sprawl and that's not desirable.

Also, I think Baltimore deserves its own recognition as a separate MSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,789,103 times
Reputation: 8809
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
That would make sense for Baton Rouge then. For Baltimore, already being a major city/metro that would be shooting itself in the foot economically (losing revenue for basically say, "hey go to DC, we'll just come see you there, and generate more revenue for them by visiting").

As stated earlier, DC natives look at is as a bragging point to make their region look better; however, the could care less about Baltimore.

My disdain comes from comment's like, "DC shines in all metrics without Baltimore. The only thing it adds is total population and total GDP, no added diversity, median income, TPI, or immigration percentages are better with the inclusion of Baltimore. Relax, y'all aren't that important"

and

"I want the Washington MSA to poach Howard and Anne Arundel from Baltimore in 2023. That would be another 900k people by then most likely."
Direct quotes from DC area natives

So, yea that's why I go at DC that way I do. Plus, being a Baltimore native (and homer), I want my city/metro to win on its own.
I'd assume that there are tons of people who already do that. A friend of mine flew to DC for the women's March and stayed in Baltimore instead of DC because it was cheaper and she can take the train. The fact that she knew that have Baltimore another patron that would otherwise stayed in DC. When I lived in Baton Rouge I would meet people in New Orleans when they came to visit. Also, many friends would stay in Baton Rouge and just drive to New Orleans because they knew it was so close. I see your point about it taking revenue from the city but it will simultaneously bring more.

Why would they care about Baltimore that much? They aren't wishing for it's demise but you show more disdain while they seem to be nonchalant. And I'm aware that some DC natives think that Baltimore is hell on Earth and overly criticize it but people do that everywhere.

The statement seems to be fairly true. Is it not? Isn't it behind in pretty much all quality of life measures compared to DC? And I say this as a person who wouldn't likely fit in with the pompous high culture of DC and would probably like Baltimore better, seeing as I live in a city commonly referred to as a cesspool.

Baltimore will still be it's own city, just like Baton Rouge will, and it'll still have it's own suburbs, just like Ft. Worth does.

Cities don't suddenly lose their individuality by commute patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 10:07 AM
 
29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Reputation: 18540
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Baltimore will still be it's own city, just like Baton Rouge will, and it'll still have it's own suburbs, just like Ft. Worth does.

Cities don't suddenly lose their individuality by commute patterns.
But poor Fort Worth. It has very little recognition outside of Texas as a major/mid-major city in its own right and is completely overshadowed by Dallas in the national consciousness. I wouldn't want to see that happen to Baltimore, although it's a possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 10:38 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,749 posts, read 6,160,499 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'd assume that there are tons of people who already do that. A friend of mine flew to DC for the women's March and stayed in Baltimore instead of DC because it was cheaper and she can take the train. The fact that she knew that have Baltimore another patron that would otherwise stayed in DC. When I lived in Baton Rouge I would meet people in New Orleans when they came to visit. Also, many friends would stay in Baton Rouge and just drive to New Orleans because they knew it was so close. I see your point about it taking revenue from the city but it will simultaneously bring more.

Why would they care about Baltimore that much? They aren't wishing for it's demise but you show more disdain while they seem to be nonchalant. And I'm aware that some DC natives think that Baltimore is hell on Earth and overly criticize it but people do that everywhere.

The statement seems to be fairly true. Is it not? Isn't it behind in pretty much all quality of life measures compared to DC? And I say this as a person who wouldn't likely fit in with the pompous high culture of DC and would probably like Baltimore better, seeing as I live in a city commonly referred to as a cesspool.

Baltimore will still be it's own city, just like Baton Rouge will, and it'll still have it's own suburbs, just like Ft. Worth does.

Cities don't suddenly lose their individuality by commute patterns.
Not a chance that Baltimore will become ft Worth, St Paul, or Oakland.

The QOL statement is true at the city level... For now

I disagree with everything else in your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top