U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2017, 11:00 AM
 
1,827 posts, read 1,249,305 times
Reputation: 1822

Advertisements

Honestly, I just asked because I thought, at least in the conscious of CD, forces would be working against a Baltimore-DC MSA merger. If the core cities really are rising at the expense of suburbs, attracting more people and more jobs (as well as the slowing of population growth almost everywhere), I would expect the commuters between the neighboring counties of Baltimore MSA and DC MSA to actually decrease in number, as the jobs in suburban counties start to disappear, or at least be more eclipsed by jobs in the two core cities, attracting a greater share of commuters from their respective counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2017, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
Reputation: 8803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But poor Fort Worth. It has very little recognition outside of Texas as a major/mid-major city in its own right and is completely overshadowed by Dallas in the national consciousness. I wouldn't want to see that happen to Baltimore, although it's a possibility.
So do many other cities it's size. I don't see the issue there. I think Baltimore would remain much more independent of DC then Ft Worth has with Dallas. Baltimore is twice as far away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Not a chance that Baltimore will become ft Worth, St Paul, or Oakland.

The QOL statement is true at the city level... For now

I disagree with everything else in your post.
Ft Worth is twice as close to Dallas and isn't as major of a city as Baltimore on my opinion. St Paul and Oakland function as suburbs of their respective major cities next door. San Jose would be a more accurate comparison.

So you get angry when people tell the truth about Baltimore?

So you think they cities lose their individuality by commute patterns? So Oakland doesn't still have it's own identity and history now because it's across the bay from SF? Has Ft Worth lost its stockyards because it shares a MSA with Dallas? St Paul has a history distinctively different from Minneapolis, that history isn't wiped away via a major city being far more close then Baltimore is to DC.
So I'm lost on how you disagree with something that's seemingly proven fact as far as American history goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 12:37 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,744 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
So do many other cities it's size. I don't see the issue there. I think Baltimore would remain much more independent of DC then Ft Worth has with Dallas. Baltimore is twice as far away.


Ft Worth is twice as close to Dallas and isn't as major of a city as Baltimore on my opinion. St Paul and Oakland function as suburbs of their respective major cities next door. San Jose would be a more accurate comparison.

So you get angry when people tell the truth about Baltimore?

So you think they cities lose their individuality by commute patterns? So Oakland doesn't still have it's own identity and history now because it's across the bay from SF? Has Ft Worth lost its stockyards because it shares a MSA with Dallas? St Paul has a history distinctively different from Minneapolis, that history isn't wiped away via a major city being far more close then Baltimore is to DC.
So I'm lost on how you disagree with something that's seemingly proven fact as far as American history goes.
I'm​ not emotionally invested in C-D, so, no, I don't get angry. I also know Baltimore's short coming, and very critical of the city in certain aspects; crime is one aspect that I vocally denounce Baltimore for. Baltimore politics, the small mindedness of many of the city's residence. I also praise Baltimore what it does right. I have no issue with DC, I rather Baltimore remain separate from it as it currently is.

That's all.

Aside from Oakland, which it being considered separate from SF is mainly to highlight the crime in that city, I don't hear much about those cities. Ft. Worth is basically a Dallas suburb, and St. Paul never discussed. So, yea, not many people care much about those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 12:38 PM
 
29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Reputation: 18435
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
So do many other cities it's size. I don't see the issue there. I think Baltimore would remain much more independent of DC then Ft Worth has with Dallas. Baltimore is twice as far away.
This is true, and that's one reason why I think Baltimore should continue to have its own MSA.

I'm not really a fan of major cities becoming a singular MSA just because of overlapping sprawl. From what I hear, the stats nearly almost favor Philly being lumped in with the NYC CSA for that very reason. That's just unfathomable. At some point in the near future, the OMB will have to rethink MSA/CSA criteria. I don't think that the blending of some far-flung suburbs should automatically cause major cities in their own right to become a singular CBSA entity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 12:46 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,744 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is true, and that's one reason why I think Baltimore should continue to have its own MSA.

I'm not really a fan of major cities becoming a singular MSA just because of overlapping sprawl. From what I hear, the stats nearly almost favor Philly being lumped in with the NYC CSA for that very reason. That's just unfathomable. At some point in the near future, the OMB will have to rethink MSA/CSA criteria. I don't think that the blending of some far-flung suburbs should automatically cause major cities in their own right to become a singular CBSA entity.
I Absolutely with this post 110% !!!

All 4 cities should remain independent from a cultural standpoint at the very least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 12:53 PM
 
1,827 posts, read 1,249,305 times
Reputation: 1822
Annie_Himself, i think the point was that Fort Worth gets little recognition compared to similar sized cities, not compared to Dallas. Even in Texas, many people forget that Fort Worth is a major city with an MDA that rivals San Antonio's (might be larger even, not completely sure). Outside of Texas, Fort Worth is really seemingly underestimated too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 01:07 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,994 posts, read 3,450,579 times
Reputation: 2438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Honestly, I just asked because I thought, at least in the conscious of CD, forces would be working against a Baltimore-DC MSA merger. If the core cities really are rising at the expense of suburbs, attracting more people and more jobs (as well as the slowing of population growth almost everywhere), I would expect the commuters between the neighboring counties of Baltimore MSA and DC MSA to actually decrease in number, as the jobs in suburban counties start to disappear, or at least be more eclipsed by jobs in the two core cities, attracting a greater share of commuters from their respective counties.
I don't see this happening at all, the population will only go up in Maryland not down. Now where it all takes place will be interesting, but there is a lot of suburban infill taking place along 295 etc. Commuter share from places like Anne Arundel County and Howard County to other suburbs like Montgomery County is actually increasing not decreasing.

The cores will strengthen more, but Maryland has a good chunk of business, universities, and recreation in the state happening in it's suburbs. If you think about it outside of the 81 sq miles of Baltimore city, the whole state is pretty much a suburban area west of the Bay. So while many of us will not see it as one central metropolitan area even as population increases, there could be a chance that commuting threshold crosses 25% some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 01:10 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,744 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Honestly, I just asked because I thought, at least in the conscious of CD, forces would be working against a Baltimore-DC MSA merger. If the core cities really are rising at the expense of suburbs, attracting more people and more jobs (as well as the slowing of population growth almost everywhere), I would expect the commuters between the neighboring counties of Baltimore MSA and DC MSA to actually decrease in number, as the jobs in suburban counties start to disappear, or at least be more eclipsed by jobs in the two core cities, attracting a greater share of commuters from their respective counties.
That's a great point, and one in which I haven't thought about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,631 posts, read 8,318,123 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
- Chicago + Rockford + South Bend

- Tampa + Sarasota/North Port + Lakeland

- Orlando + Melbourne/Palm Bay

- San Francisco Bay Area + Modesto-Merced

- Washington DC-Baltimore + Salisbury

- Cincinnati + Dayton

- Austin + Kileen-Temple-Fort Hood

- Harrisburg + Lancaster

- Omaha + Lincoln

- Dallas/Fort Worth + Ardmore
Missed a few earlier;

- Denver + Fort Collins

- Hartford + Springfield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2017, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, Commonwealth of Virginia
1,609 posts, read 1,106,207 times
Reputation: 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
There is already a Washington-Baltimore CSA, and this possibility may add the Richmond MSA to the CSA. Remember that MSAs and CSAs are based on commute patterns. There had to be a certain degree of commuting between a portion of one MAD or microSA to qualify as a CSA, but not enough to the level to be considered as one large MSA.
There is no way cross-commuting between Core DC and Core Richmond would ever reach 25%. So no CSA. Not even 0.1% chance. No chance at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top