U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:12 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Baltimore and Washington are more connected and tied to each other than Philadelphia and NY are. So it's not as simple as your explanation of "all four function independently". Baltimore-DC is a "market" made up of two separate "markets".

Think like South Florida as an example.

in development they both overlap similarly. Believe it or not the Philly and NYC metros have more people that traverse daily for work then do DC and Baltimore, just smaller as a percentage of the total as they are more populated in aggregate for the metros but the commuters that cross is actually more in absolutes for the NYC/Philly metro pair then the DC/Baltimore pair

to me the difference is there is more of a true grey area in between that also has a large job center then DC and Baltimore and the main cities are a little further apart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 10:18 AM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
With SC, Hilton Head may combine with Savannah, GA. Maybe further into the future Myrtle Beach and Wilmington can combine into a CSA. Myrtle robbed a country from Wilmington's MSA with the last census. Other that that, not really.
Yeah those are the only ones I see happening in SC. The pace of development along the coast from Wilmington to Savannah is just crazy, and if Georgetown ever gets in on the action, it could eventually be a virtually uninterrupted string of urbanization along that corridor.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:49 AM

18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
South Florida is one market. Baltimore and Washington are two separate markets. There some some things marketed to Baltimore and/or DC (BWI, MASN which have Baltimore and DC separate), but it isn't one market. TV, radio, advertisement are all broadcasting to separate markets. I'm aware that Wizard's owner, Ted Leonsis said that he would block an NBA team from coming to Baltimore because he's trying to push this whole "regional" thing, but citizens of the Baltimore area aren't happy about that; we want our own team, not a DC team. I've noticed that it's DC that wants a more "regional" arrangement, but the people of the Baltimore area prefer to remain separate ( I work in Columbia, and the topic comes up occasionally in the office). As stated previously, Baltimore and DC functioning independent of each other, as does Philly and NYC, but there is most definitely cross pollination between both sets of metros.
Actually, South Florida has two markets with Miami/Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach/Fort Pierce. They are not one in the same.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:53 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,997 posts, read 3,450,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
South Florida is one market. Baltimore and Washington are two separate markets. There some some things marketed to Baltimore and/or DC (BWI, MASN which have Baltimore and DC separate), but it isn't one market. TV, radio, advertisement are all broadcasting to separate markets. I'm aware that Wizard's owner, Ted Leonsis said that he would block an NBA team from coming to Baltimore because he's trying to push this whole "regional" thing, but citizens of the Baltimore area aren't happy about that; we want our own team, not a DC team. I've noticed that it's DC that wants a more "regional" arrangement, but the people of the Baltimore area prefer to remain separate ( I work in Columbia, and the topic comes up occasionally in the office). As stated previously, Baltimore and DC functioning independent of each other, as does Philly and NYC, but there is most definitely cross pollination between both sets of metros.
This is done by design so that Baltimore doesn't get swallowed up by DC's overpowering market. South Florida does have different TV markets for West Palm Beach area and Miami. It's more than just BWI and MASN, some companies specifically target the Baltimore/DC region to expand business. Although on the flip side some don't like Royal Farms for example you will only find in and around Baltimore.

Growing up in the Maryland suburbs of DC before FCC consolidated everything and you could no longer use antenna televisions, we would get WBAL, Fox45, ABC2 etc. It was only about 10 years ago that it changed and we could no longer view those stations.

As far as teams like the Wizards and Caps go, it's too late for what your saying as the fans already bleed out into Baltimore. Although I would love to see Baltimore have a separate team. A friend of mine and his wife born and raised Bmore came down for the last Wizards playoff game against Atlanta. My car dealership is in Parkville, I saw Caps jerseys while up there a few weeks ago. I'm not saying people in Baltimore are DC sports crazy, but specifically Wizards and Caps have legitimate fans there.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:06 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,879,218 times
For everyone saying San An and Austin should combine, my question is why? They're still two completely different metros and other than being close, they don't have much to share in my opinion. If they combined today, what would change other than their area population doubling? Is that why people want it, for bragging rights?

Both will still have their own tv, radio, suburbs, and Spurs won't be putting Austin in the name. Austin residents aren't going to start driving down to use San An's airport. Same goes for NYC and Philly and LA and SD.

I'm just curious. I have no problem with CSA's, I myself have just always paid attention to MSA's. I think they are the most important and are the best representation of size, for the most part. Some metros just add on a few rural counties and then call it a CSA. Not all metros have CSA's anyway, like San An, Phoenix, Tampa, Richmond, and Charleston. Skews things.

Only one that makes sense to me is DC and Baltimore and they're already a CSA. Driving on 95 or the BW Parkway from DC towards Baltimore, you really can't tell when DC "ends" and Baltimore "begins." Even the radio stations blend at certain points.

You'll know when you're out of San Antonio and heading into Austin, or Philly to NYC, especially with all the heavy industry and high residential density around the NYC side.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:39 PM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
This is done by design so that Baltimore doesn't get swallowed up by DC's overpowering market. South Florida does have different TV markets for West Palm Beach area and Miami. It's more than just BWI and MASN, some companies specifically target the Baltimore/DC region to expand business. Although on the flip side some don't like Royal Farms for example you will only find in and around Baltimore.
Royal Farms' market goes as far north as PA and as far south as VA.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:46 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,969,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And east to DE.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:16 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,997 posts, read 3,450,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yes but it skips around the DC area almost entirely, except for one in I believe Temple Hills, MD.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:21 PM

7,746 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Quote:

Growing up in the Maryland suburbs of DC before FCC consolidated everything and you could no longer use antenna televisions, we would get WBAL, Fox45, ABC2 etc. It was only about 10 years ago that it changed and we could no longer view those stations.

As far as teams like the Wizards and Caps go, it's too late for what your saying as the fans already bleed out into Baltimore. Although I would love to see Baltimore have a separate team. A friend of mine and his wife born and raised Bmore came down for the last Wizards playoff game against Atlanta. My car dealership is in Parkville, I saw Caps jerseys while up there a few weeks ago. I'm not saying people in Baltimore are DC sports crazy, but specifically Wizards and Caps have legitimate fans there.
I thought South Florida was all one market, sorry about that.

Notice that when you see companies that market to both Baltimore and DC, they usually have separate contact information. I see that quite often.

As far as sports go the wizards don't have a large fanbase in the Baltimore area, and don't forget, the long-time wizards fans were once Baltimore Bullet's fans. I went to Knicks vs Wizards preseason in Baltimore, and there were hardly any wizards fans in attendance. Most people don't think about Civic pride to the levels that we here on C-D think about it; most people root for the teams​ closest to them. That's why there are so many Steelers' fans here, and so many Orioles fans in DC.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:23 PM

7,746 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Quote:
Yes but it skips around the DC area almost entirely, except for one in I believe Temple Hills, MD.
Do they have Wawa in DC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or