U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2017, 01:49 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,976 posts, read 3,453,869 times
Reputation: 2443

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
in development they both overlap similarly. Believe it or not the Philly and NYC metros have more people that traverse daily for work then do DC and Baltimore, just smaller as a percentage of the total as they are more populated in aggregate for the metros but the commuters that cross is actually more in absolutes for the NYC/Philly metro pair then the DC/Baltimore pair


to me the difference is there is more of a true grey area in between that also has a large job center then DC and Baltimore and the main cities are a little further apart
There's still a big difference however. You realize Maryland is not a big state geographically, so there are way more shared amenities and options in and around the DC and Baltimore area with regards to percentage being used by people on both ends. It already qualifies as a CSA statistically, but is actually even much more connected than numbers on a paper would prove. Malls, amusement parks, casinos etc here are shared on a 365 day a year basis, and it doesn't feel like jumping into a new metro area to go do these things, although on paper it is technically.

It's certainly not like people from NYC itself are heading down to MSA Philadelphia for amenities in droves. I'm not saying they don't leave town at all, but they have enough in their radius of NYC. Baltimore and DC overall don't have more amenities than Philly and NYC combined, so it makes sense that you find more people crossing sides of town to find things to do in suburban Maryland. Plus the two cities and their beltways are merely closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2017, 01:51 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,976 posts, read 3,453,869 times
Reputation: 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Do they have Wawa in DC?
Not in the city proper, but yes a select few in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 01:53 PM
 
29,893 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Reputation: 18435
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Yes but it skips around the DC area almost entirely, except for one in I believe Temple Hills, MD.
You are correct; it's kinda weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Do they have Wawa in DC?
They are few and far between in the region and none are in DC itself. I live in Silver Spring and the closest to me is on Baltimore Ave. in Beltsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 01:59 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,976 posts, read 3,453,869 times
Reputation: 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I thought South Florida was all one market, sorry about that.

Notice that when you see companies that market to both Baltimore and DC, they usually have separate contact information. I see that quite often.
So I quite often see the trucks for various companies on the highway saying "Serving the Baltimore/Washington area" and they'll have a "DC area" number as well as a "Baltimore" area number. Kind of a mixed bag I guess depending on the company your talking about.

Last edited by mjlo; 04-21-2017 at 03:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 02:01 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,976 posts, read 3,453,869 times
Reputation: 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You are correct; it's kinda weird.

Sonic was like that too, I believe the only one regionally was like Reisterstown Rd in Bmore for a while, then they opened one in Waldorf, and finally closer into the area in PG County after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,787 posts, read 13,356,722 times
Reputation: 10020
Birmingham-Tuscaloosa-Anniston


Already in the media market and not a huge stretch of distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 02:48 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,728 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Reputation: 3585
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There's still a big difference however. You realize Maryland is not a big state geographically, so there are way more shared amenities and options in and around the DC and Baltimore area with regards to percentage being used by people on both ends. It already qualifies as a CSA statistically, but is actually even much more connected than numbers on a paper would prove. Malls, amusement parks, casinos etc here are shared on a 365 day a year basis, and it doesn't feel like jumping into a new metro area to go do these things, although on paper it is technically.

It's certainly not like people from NYC itself are heading down to MSA Philadelphia for amenities in droves. I'm not saying they don't leave town at all, but they have enough in their radius of NYC. Baltimore and DC overall don't have more amenities than Philly and NYC combined, so it makes sense that you find more people crossing sides of town to find things to do in suburban Maryland. Plus the two cities and their beltways are merely closer.
Philly and NYC share an Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure.

It definitely feels like jumping into a new area when leaving one metro to another. The change is very abrupt and noticable. I went to a movie theater in Laurel, and I told my fiancee' to listen to how they speak, and she caught that DC accent. Then we drive 10 miles away to Columbia, and I told her to listen to the accent, and she noticed the Baltimore accent.

I think the term "shared" is being too loosely defined. Shared is a company with contacts for both regions, other things are just used by another region, MD Live for example, or Arundel Mills area in general, but that's all the Baltimore area.

I went to a Young Jeezy concert and he said "whats good DMV," and you can hear people booing. When he said "Bmore" is when people cheered.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 04-21-2017 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 02:52 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,728 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Reputation: 3585
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Sonic was like that too, I believe the only one regionally was like Reisterstown Rd in Bmore for a while, then they opened one in Waldorf, and finally closer into the area in PG County after that.
Lol... Regionally? In Baltimore?

I told you up-thread that it's DC pushing this "regional" thing. We also had this discussion in another thread.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 04-21-2017 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,637 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Reputation: 9577
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Sonic was like that too, I believe the only one regionally was like Reisterstown Rd in Bmore for a while, then they opened one in Waldorf, and finally closer into the area in PG County after that.
Steak n Shake is like that. There's only two near DC but one in Glen Burnie and the other down in Fredericksburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 09:46 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,976 posts, read 3,453,869 times
Reputation: 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Philly and NYC share an Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure.

It definitely feels like jumping into a new area when leaving one metro to another. The change is very abrupt and noticable. I went to a movie theater in Laurel, and I told my fiancee' to listen to how they speak, and she caught that DC accent. Then we drive 10 miles away to Columbia, and I told her to listen to the accent, and she noticed the Baltimore accent.

I think the term "shared" is being too loosely defined. Shared is a company with contacts for both regions, other things are just used by another region, MD Live for example, or Arundel Mills area in general, but that's all the Baltimore area.

I went to a Young Jeezy concert and he said "whats good DMV," and you can hear people booing. When he said "Bmore" is when people cheered.
Going from Laurel to Columbia, MD is not leaving "metro areas" in the traditional sense. Your just leaving one cookie cutter suburb for the next 10 miles away. You will find more people that relate to Baltimore the closer you get to it, but this is not everyone. It's not like everyone in a Baltimore suburb speaks with that accent because people move around. Merriweather Post Pavilion is another "shared" amenity in the "Baltimore MSA" yet they've had go-go's there. That place is flooded with people from both areas in the summer time.

Interestingly enough, I was in the Anne Arundel county portion of Laurel off 198 last week and heard clear and distinctly people talking with a more "DC twang" and wearing Redskins hats. I really thought to myself how much the line is getting blurred between the two areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top