U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,886,801 times

Advertisements

I saw a guy in DC on metro who was wearing Ravens and Orioles gear at the same time. Then when I was in Baltimore city near Cross Street Market, i passed a bar that had all DC sports flags hanging outside and no B-more flags.

Not being a native of the area I said "is this not a sin???" But then I realized how much both metros really do mesh. Theyre distinct, but not LA and San Fran, 6-hours apart distinct.

I dont know many areas of Philly that would have only Yankees, Giants, Jets, Islanders, and Knicks signs hanging outside with blatnat disregard for the Eagles, Flyers, and Sixers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 11:02 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,771,019 times
I think Baton Rouge and New Orleans will inevitably become a CSA. I've always wanted it to happen from a economic and marketing standpoint. The two are separate metropolitan areas that includes the Hammond MSA on the northshore. Although they are separate MSAs, they function as one economic region. The MS river is what links the two together via the massive port system and plants along it. Majority of the population centers lie along the river and not I-10 like in other regions.

The Hammond MSA functions as more of an exurb of both cities more than it's own MSA. Every local and state official wants the region to become a CSA and market it as a region of 2.2 million people. Baton Rouge is sprawling to the south and to the east, both towards New Orleans so eventually the development along I-12 will be continuous and the development along I-10 will be more spotty as there are wetlands in between that cannot and shall not be developed for environmental reasons. The New Orleans CSA stretches into Picayune, MS and could possibly encompass all of Pearl River County and Hancock County. Baton Rouge could possibly add Wilkinson County, MS depending on how North Baton Rouge develops.
I see countless Mississippi plates in all three Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and Hammond and Pike County is a huge patron to medical services in Hammond.

Where are you guys finding commute numbers?

Old 04-22-2017, 07:51 AM

7,746 posts, read 6,149,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I saw a guy in DC on metro who was wearing Ravens and Orioles gear at the same time. Then when I was in Baltimore city near Cross Street Market, i passed a bar that had all DC sports flags hanging outside and no B-more flags.

Not being a native of the area I said "is this not a sin???" But then I realized how much both metros really do mesh. Theyre distinct, but not LA and San Fran, 6-hours apart distinct.

I dont know many areas of Philly that would have only Yankees, Giants, Jets, Islanders, and Knicks signs hanging outside with blatnat disregard for the Eagles, Flyers, and Sixers.
That's most certainly a cardinal sin. What bar did you see that?

Old 04-22-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
That's most certainly a cardinal sin. What bar did you see that?
I don't know, never bothered to look for the name. But it's in Baltimore city.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:57 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,383,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Where are you guys finding commute numbers?
You can find them here if you can figure out how to navigate the site.

Search the metro. Perform analysis on selected area. Select home or work area,destination(metropolitan) and primary or all jobs. Press go.

You have to do both home and work find the combined numbers.

https://onthemap.ces.census.gov/

Old 04-23-2017, 08:59 PM

7,746 posts, read 6,149,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I don't know, never bothered to look for the name. But it's in Baltimore city.
Now, there could have been a bar specifically for DC fans, like there are places for Giants fans, Steelers, Yankees..Etc.

Baltimore and DC sports aren't meshed, no more than any other two cities in close proximity.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 04-23-2017 at 09:54 PM..

Old 04-23-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Now, there could have been a bar specifically for DC fans, like there are places for Giants fans, Steelers, Yankees..Etc.

Baltimore and DC sports aren't meshed, no more than any other two cities in close proximity.
I know theyre not meshed, just sharing anecdotal examples I saw.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:52 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,810,735 times
There will certainly be some CSAs that change (mostly addition of counties), but I am more interested to see if some current CSAs change to become a singular MSA with periphery counties making up the new CSA.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:14 AM

5,207 posts, read 7,893,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
There will certainly be some CSAs that change (mostly addition of counties), but I am more interested to see if some current CSAs change to become a singular MSA with periphery counties making up the new CSA.
I do believe that the MSA commute threshold is 25%. I wonder which CSAs are near that point.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:37 PM

992 posts, read 578,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I do believe that the MSA commute threshold is 25%. I wonder which CSAs are near that point.
Possibly San Francisco-San Jose. The hard part is that they probably have some of the highest total numbers of commuters crossing county lines, but the counties are so large that 25% is a huge threshold. Santa Clara County (the Silicon Valley) has 1.9 million people, and a workforce of about 1.1 million. For it to become a MSA, there have to be 275,000 people commuting in daily from the San Francisco/Oakland MSA, which is a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or