U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 04:47 PM

7,735 posts, read 6,132,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
But they didn't say anything to what you are saying. He didn't say the Northeast is monolith and he didn't mention anything regarding their opinions of the South. I personally think, growing up in Virginia and Maryland and having lived in Atlanta and travelled throughout the South that we are definitely NOT the South. And yes you are correct, the South is more diverse then we give it credit for but the DMV area aligns more with its Northern compatriots.

Even John Kennedy during the 60's said DC was "a city with Northern Charm and Southern Efficiency".. And since then it's progressed more Northern in culture and I'm using DC as am example because it's South of BMore.
No, he didn't say it, but from the information gathered from posters on this forum, if you don't have what they consider to be enough italians, then you're not the northeast. There have been countless threads on one the matter. If you don't have enough Italians, Irish, Puerto Ricans, Polish and Jewish inhabitants, then you don't qualify.

Sounds pretty monolithic to me.

Their Rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 04:59 PM

13,356 posts, read 7,012,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
No, he didn't say it, but from the information gathered from posters on this forum, if you don't have what they consider to be enough italians, then you're not the northeast. There have been countless threads on one the matter. If you don't have enough Italians, Irish, Puerto Ricans, Polish and Jewish inhabitants, then you don't qualify.

Their Rules.
Well, all I'm saying is what my perspective is, and it's a perspective that's probably shared by many, but certainly not all. I chose Italians as an example because I'm almost half Italian. I don't give much thought to the percentages of Jews or Puerto Ricans, for example. Likewise, I'm not sure that the typical person from the Northeast who's not Italian would give this much consideration.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:06 PM

2,504 posts, read 2,262,328 times
Quote:

Their Rules.
That's a really old school way of thinking.... I'm thinking more in terms of voting patterns, education, per capita income etc.. modern day things.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:20 PM

13,356 posts, read 7,012,684 times
Quote:
That's a really old school way of thinking.... I'm thinking more in terms of voting patterns, education, per capita income etc.. modern day things.
It is old school, sort of. Traditionally speaking, in some neighborhoods in various spots of the Northeast, if you weren't Italian or Irish, you were an outcast.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
It is old school, sort of. Traditionally speaking, in some neighborhoods in various spots of the Northeast, if you weren't Italian or Irish, you were an outcast.
That was the same case here in Baltimore when it was considered southern.

" The city was flush with waves of immigration—from abroad as well as the South—and more affluent blacks were leaving the older, poorer neighborhoods to move to predominantly white areas removed from the poverty and joblessness of the crowded slums. In short order, politicians and progressive reformers—motivated by benevolence, politics, and an en vogue scientific racism—endorsed segregation plans and racial covenants meant to cordon blacks—as well as Italian and Eastern European immigrants—on to small parts of land in the inner city."

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2015/04

/baltimore_s_failure_is_rooted_in_its_segregationis t_past_the_city_s_black.html

same for the Irish
http://teaching.msa.maryland.gov/000...html/t131.html

Last edited by KodeBlue; 04-21-2017 at 05:37 PM..

Old 04-21-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
The was the same case here in Baltimore when it was considered southern.
When it "WAS", as you just stated

Old 04-21-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
When it "WAS", as you just stated
I phrased it wrong, you got me.

I meant when Baltimore was considered southern by EVERYONE.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:31 PM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
So would this mean a place like Raleigh/Durham is Northern while a place like Buffalo isn't?

Old 04-21-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So would this mean a place like Raleigh/Durham is Northern while a place like Buffalo isn't?
Yes because culture are diverging more urban vs rural!

Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Quote:
I phrased it wrong, you got me.

I meant when Baltimore was considered southern by EVERYONE.
As far as I know they used to refer to Maryland as one of the middle colonies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or