U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:28 AM

7,742 posts, read 6,144,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Ok seriously???? How is Baltimore southern???
Baltimore is southern now because it has always been southern. Baltimore hasn't changed much since the 70s. People are throwing out random decades for when Baltimore "transitioned" into a northern city, but it hasn't because it can. Like I've been saying, Baltimore is one of the most southern cities due to the fact that it hasn't changed except for the Great Migration, which makes Baltimore even more southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 10:34 AM

3,223 posts, read 8,504,161 times
Because they have southern accents and the same culture/terrain.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:55 AM

2,796 posts, read 1,638,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is southern now because it has always been southern. Baltimore hasn't changed much since the 70s. People are throwing out random decades for when Baltimore "transitioned" into a northern city, but it hasn't because it can. Like I've been saying, Baltimore is one of the most southern cities due to the fact that it hasn't changed except for the Great Migration, which makes Baltimore even more southern.
I'm sorry but calling Baltimore southern is just plain incorrect. It's as southern as Philadelphia is, which is to say it isn't. Annapolis I could at least see an argument for calling it southern, although I still don't think Annapolis is southern.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:14 PM

781 posts, read 1,094,681 times
I can see how some would think calling Baltimore southern would seem incorrect but calling it Northern would be just as incorrect wouldn't it??

Old 04-18-2017, 12:23 PM

2,796 posts, read 1,638,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
I can see how some would think calling Baltimore southern would seem incorrect but calling it Northern would be just as incorrect wouldn't it??
I don't think so. IMO it has way more in common with Philly and Boston than it does Atlanta.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I'm sorry but calling Baltimore southern is just plain incorrect. It's as southern as Philadelphia is, which is to say it isn't. Annapolis I could at least see an argument for calling it southern, although I still don't think Annapolis is southern.
Ok, so how is what I'm saying incorrect? Baltimore is nothing like Philly, nor should it want to be. I've given detailed reasons why Baltimore remains southern. I also stated that the south is the most prosperous region in the country, yet people want to be like a region that isn't performing as well.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:36 PM

2,138 posts, read 1,430,890 times
For some reason, and no where in my mind can you make me digest, after the millions of Times I have been to and through Baltimore can I see it as a Southern City... Just don't see it nor could I ever call it Southern... lol, if that's the case they need to withdraw some of the South Jurisdiction SMH... Same is true with Delaware and parts of Kentucky.. Delaware no where fits in the class of Southern. Kentucky to me is half Upper South and the rest just Midwest including Louisville over to Cincy burbs/Covington, KY area but that's just me...

Old 04-18-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
For some reason, and no where in my mind can you make me digest, after the millions of Times I have been to and through Baltimore can I see it as a Southern City... Just don't see it nor could I ever call it Southern... lol, if that's the case they need to withdraw some of the South Jurisdiction SMH... Same is true with Delaware and parts of Kentucky.. Delaware no where fits in the class of Southern. Kentucky to me is half Upper South and the rest just Midwest including Louisville over to Cincy burbs/Covington, KY area but that's just me...
What is the "class of southern?"

Old 04-18-2017, 02:02 PM

425 posts, read 294,063 times
Here is my take on the OP's question. I have listed the States from most Southern to least Southern and included my reasoning, briefly.

Kentucky
This commonwealth has thick Southern accents, home to the world's largest fried chicken chain KFC, produces 95% of the world's bourbon, is host of the Kentucky Derby, is the birthplace of Bluegrass Music...a sub-genre of Country music, is largely Baptist in religion affiliation and identifies mostly as American in ancestry. Kentucky is within the Southern Appalachians, much like Tennessee and Southern Virginia/WV. Kentucky is one of the top Tobacco producers in the nation. Anecdotally, it is nearly identical to Tennessee in geography, topography and cultural ties. I seriously don't understand how anyone could call Kentucky anything other than Southern. Show me the Midwestern characteristics (outside of NKY and Cinci suburbs). I don't even think Louisville is that Midwestern either. Outside of the City Data Forum, the vast majority of people consider Kentucky to be Southern and usually apply all the usual stereotypes to it.

West Virginia
Less southern than Kentucky as it stretches significantly further North with it's two panhandles.
It also leans more Midwestern around Wheeling due to the steel industry. Seems more similar to Pennsylvania in the Northern portion of the State and actually has a large Italian population around Clarksburg and points North along I-79. The Southern area of the State certainly leans Southern as one can start to pick up on the Southern Appalachian twangy accent. Either way, WV is a very rural, conservative state.

Missouri
Extreme Southern half of Missouri is somewhat Southern, although I feel like I am in the Midwest whenever in Missouri. Definitely a border state.

Maryland
Never really felt Southern to me and it seems most of the people there DO NOT identify as Southern. I guess a case could be made that it has Southern characteristics, but I always view it as Mid-Atlantic or East Coast.

Delaware
Nope, not Southern AT ALL. Only because the U.S. Census labels it as Southern, is this even a discussion of Delaware being Southern.

Sources:

Old 04-18-2017, 03:10 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,973,275 times
Quote:
Quote:
Ok, so how is what I'm saying incorrect? Baltimore is nothing like Philly, nor should it want to be. I've given detailed reasons why Baltimore remains southern. I also stated that the south is the most prosperous region in the country, yet people want to be like a region that isn't performing as well.
This just simply isn't true. Baltimore shares much in common with Philadelphia, from being majority row house cities, to crab fries, to being legacy cities on the mend (in different stages), to sharing a similar dialect, to shared hip hop connections and styles (capri pants, Wu-tang dance being performed to Baltimore club music), to being overshadowed by a larger, more prominent city that directly infringes on its metro, etc. There are lots of similarities for two cities that are only 100 miles apart--trust me, I live in the transition zone.

Baltimore just isn't a completely southern city. Not even close. It has far too many similarities with the rest of the Northeast Corridor for this to be taken seriously. You keep asking what changed to make Baltimore "not southern" any more, and its simple. Other demographics have moved in creating cultural changes, its infrastructure has become more intertwined with and similar to the rest of the Northeast (Acela, MARC, Metro Subway), and its economy has become a part of the fast-paced, white collar and service economy that the Northeast is known for. Metropolitan Baltimore is wealthier than any similarly sized southern city (Charlotte, Tampa, Orlando, San Antonio). It's public transit infrastructure, while small by Northeast standards, dwarfs real southern cities, in both usage and miles, with only Atlanta and Miami, metros over twice as large, being even on the same page (and notably behind in certain metrics). I mean, Baltimore Penn Station is the seventh busiest Amtrak station in the country, because intercity passenger rail travel is decidedly un-southern.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_areas_by_GDP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_ridership

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...mtrak_stations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or