U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 02:16 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I would agree with this. I usually say Illinois south of Route 146 is the beginning of the cultural south.
It's a fascinating case study. Illinois is absolutely a northern state but it stretches so far south that southerners live in it.

I think honestly the river junctions of that region is more interesting than Maryland/Delaware, which are more cleanly cut in my eyes.

In the case of Ohio and Indiana the river has played a role in keeping the border pretty distinct for the most part. Over time the areas have had an influence on one-another but overall it's a quick change from the river on in either direction.

However, in extreme southern Illinois the Ohio river hasn't had as strong a wall effect it seems, even historically from what I have heard/read the people there have always been akin to Kentucky more so than their own state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 03:50 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,897,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
It's a fascinating case study. Illinois is absolutely a northern state but it stretches so far south that southerners live in it.

I think honestly the river junctions of that region is more interesting than Maryland/Delaware, which are more cleanly cut in my eyes.

In the case of Ohio and Indiana the river has played a role in keeping the border pretty distinct for the most part. Over time the areas have had an influence on one-another but overall it's a quick change from the river on in either direction.

However, in extreme southern Illinois the Ohio river hasn't had as strong a wall effect it seems, even historically from what I have heard/read the people there have always been akin to Kentucky more so than their own state.
For the southwest section of Little Egypt by Cape Girardeau & Charleston MO, I think the pull from Missouri also contributes. Most of the people that live there go to Missouri to buy groceries & gas anyway, so they are there on a regular basis. Maybe this is why the Ohio River doesn't seem like such a hard cultural border there. That part of Illinois is very sparsely populated as well with little in-migration.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:35 PM

183 posts, read 163,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I would agree with this. I usually say Illinois south of Route 146 is the beginning of the cultural south.
Southern Illinois gets it news from Paducah or Cape Girardeau and it is part of the NWS of Paducah Coverage area, meaning the office that issues things like Tornado and Flash Flood Warnings for Southern Illinois is based in Paducah. That area has a lot of ties to Paducah, Kentucky. It is also geographically further south than a good deal of Kentucky and all of Indiana, so that area is pretty culturally southern. One thing that makes the area a little more Midwestern than adjacent Missouri and Kentucky is that it has stronger German ancestry. I like to consider Southern IL (I-64 and south) a Midwestern/Southern hybrid that is increasingly southern the closer one gets to the Ohio River.

Since a lot of people like to use the Civil War as a way to classify areas/regions, it is interesting to know that southern IL along with southern parts of IN/OH had a lot of what were known as Copperheads. These were people in Union areas that were against the Civil War and believed in restoring the Union with slavery. Even back in the day, the southern parts of IL/IN/OH were seen as transitional areas and they still are to this day.

There are some culturally southern places in Indiana, but not to the extent of Southern Illinois or especially Southern Missouri. Most of the culturally southern areas of Indiana are the counties that are directly across from Louisville. Ohio has some Southern/Appalachian hybrid areas which occur just across from Kentucky and West Virginia (e.g. Gallipolis, Portsmouth (whose motto is "Where Southern Hospitality Begins, and Marietta).

Old 05-05-2017, 01:07 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
Southern Illinois gets it news from Paducah or Cape Girardeau and it is part of the NWS of Paducah Coverage area, meaning the office that issues things like Tornado and Flash Flood Warnings for Southern Illinois is based in Paducah. That area has a lot of ties to Paducah, Kentucky. It is also geographically further south than a good deal of Kentucky and all of Indiana, so that area is pretty culturally southern. One thing that makes the area a little more Midwestern than adjacent Missouri and Kentucky is that it has stronger German ancestry. I like to consider Southern IL (I-64 and south) a Midwestern/Southern hybrid that is increasingly southern the closer one gets to the Ohio River.

Since a lot of people like to use the Civil War as a way to classify areas/regions, it is interesting to know that southern IL along with southern parts of IN/OH had a lot of what were known as Copperheads. These were people in Union areas that were against the Civil War and believed in restoring the Union with slavery. Even back in the day, the southern parts of IL/IN/OH were seen as transitional areas and they still are to this day.

There are some culturally southern places in Indiana, but not to the extent of Southern Illinois or especially Southern Missouri. Most of the culturally southern areas of Indiana are the counties that are directly across from Louisville. Ohio has some Southern/Appalachian hybrid areas which occur just across from Kentucky and West Virginia (e.g. Gallipolis, Portsmouth (whose motto is "Where Southern Hospitality Begins, and Marietta).
Likewise, areas of WV and Kentucky along the river are equally influenced by the northern in Ohio and Indiana as well. The Ohio valley in that area has become almost its own creature in that regard.

The copperheads is an interesting piece of history. There were Copperheads from PA and western NY as well. People who discuss the civil war in depth love to point out the pro-union sentiments that existed in the south, but almost always neglect to mention the copperhead movement, and the pro-secessionists of NYC (pro in that they were for the south seceding and felt that was a better option than warfare).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or