U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 02:11 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,415,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
That is the current storyline in the TV show "Underground."
I need to watch that show; I hear nothing but good things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 02:18 PM

627 posts, read 274,201 times
The South will always consist of the 11 former Confederate States... that's a given.

Kentucky is the closest to the South culturally and usually gets lumped in, most people have no problem with that.

WV became a state to not be part of the South... it's not southern.

MD is northeastern.

I don't know anything about Missouri but I was taught it's the MidWest.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:26 PM

7,748 posts, read 6,154,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I need to watch that show; I hear nothing but good things.
You definitely have to check it out, one of the best shows on TV.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:28 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,415,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
WV became a state to not be part of the South... it's not southern.
That's not really accurate. Where's Bobilee?

Quote:
MD is northeastern.
Historically Southern, today mid-Atlantic. It's not a true Northeastern state to me.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:42 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,747,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's not really accurate. Where's Bobilee?
I've been watching Mutiny, some very inaccurate things being said. West Virginia was hijacked away from Virginia by Federal legislation, unless you believe that the 23% of the people of West Virginia who voted for statehood in 1861 actually represent the will of the majority.

West Virginia was the only border state that did not give most of its men to the Union army. It was much more supportive of the Confederacy than Kentucky, though people seem to think the opposite is true because Kentucky has good southern PR. West Virginia is not good at PR. The only real poll I've seen on the subject by Public Policy Polling found that 51% of West Virginians believe it it a southern state, while 35% believe it is more northern. What the other 14% believe they didn't say.

This is what the sociologists Cooper & Knotts deemed the south, published in Southern Cultures a few years back.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:14 PM

86 posts, read 65,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I know the definition of quintessential, that's why I used it. Ironically, in your opinion, your examples of quintessential southern cities are the cities that northerners are running to. Let's​ take your logic even further into the deep end. Why isn't Miami considered a quintessential southern city? What reasons are there to omit the southernmost major city in the country?
Of the three cities listed, only Atlanta really has a significant transplant population worth writing home about. Charlotte and especially Birmingham aren't quite up to that level.

As for Miami, It's helpful to remember that there is a distinction between the geographic south and the cultural south. Miami fits very much into the former, but not really the latter.

Quote:
I would also hope that you'll feel that same way about south being mislabeled as you do about the Northeast.
I do. I'm not a very big fan of stereotypes and mudslinging in general.

Quote:
It would be kind of crazy to say that Baltimore magically transformed from a southern city to a northern city without any real reason as to why and how.
It would be, but I don't believe that's what most people mean when they refer to Baltimore as a northern city. Starting around the time of the civil rights movement, Baltimore gradually went from "Southern city with some northern characteristics" to "Northern city with some southern characteristics".

Old 04-20-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNY View Post
Of the three cities listed, only Atlanta really has a significant transplant population worth writing home about. Charlotte and especially Birmingham aren't quite up to that level.

As for Miami, It's helpful to remember that there is a distinction between the geographic south and the cultural south. Miami fits very much into the former, but not really the latter.

I do. I'm not a very big fan of stereotypes and mudslinging in general.

It would be, but I don't believe that's what most people mean when they refer to Baltimore as a northern city. Starting around the time of the civil rights movement, Baltimore gradually went from "Southern city with some northern characteristics" to "Northern city with some southern characteristics".

Miami doesn't fit into people perception of the south, but that doesn't make Miami any less southern. If Miami isn't perceived as a southern city, then people may have to broaden their scope on what the south is. It's ironic that the only tropical major city isn't seen as southern culturally because of the Caribbean immigrants who live there. That is because people's perception of the south isn't one with a large Caribbean population; that's only reserved for the north.

What changed in Baltimore for it to gradually go from a southern city to a northern city? The Civil rights movement affected that whole country. Everything that people say that make it northern today was around when it was considered southern except maybe the high black population percentage; however, a high black population is a trait of a southern city, yet Detroit and Baltimore are the cities with the highest black percentages.

I want to have a real conversation and get your thoughts.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:05 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,778,608 times
Miami is undoubtedly in the south geographically, Baltimore is not quite the same. I always call Miami a southern city, even though it's not a stereotypical southern city. I always imagine that Baltimore is northern or Mid Atlantic.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Miami is undoubtedly in the south geographically, Baltimore is not quite the same. I always call Miami a southern city, even though it's not a stereotypical southern city. I always imagine that Baltimore is northern or Mid Atlantic.
No question about Miami as a southern city.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 AM

12,356 posts, read 18,239,750 times
I see people are fascinated with the South; it's QUITE annoying.

I want to vomit every time someone says that Baltimore or DC is located in the South. I'm from the Deep South, and I HAVE NEVER heard anyone from this area refer to those cities as the South; we all understand that they are "Up North." Many people in the Deep South have their reservations about Virginia being southern. I think it's the northerners who are wanting DC and Baltimore to be southern. Jesus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or