Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Hmmm...how so, outside of the fact that NoVA and Philly are major metro areas and Greensboro isn't? I can probably think of just as many differences between NoVA and Philly and NoVA and Greensboro.

Now if you really mean *suburban* Philly (e.g., King of Prussia, Cherry Hill), then I would agree.
I was referring more to the idea that both were culturally connected, as opposed to Greensboro (North Carolina/Piedmont) which would be stronger tied to what the south truly is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 10:24 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I was referring more to the idea that both were culturally connected, as opposed to Greensboro (North Carolina/Piedmont) which would be stronger tied to what the south truly is.
Perhaps but I'd argue there isn't a wide chasm between NoVA and Greensboro compared to NoVA and Philly; I can think of a lot of cultural disconnects between the former pairing. As a matter of fact, I'd argue that NoVA is more like another NC metro (the Triangle) than Philly.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:51 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
isnt nova really THE MOST like Atlanta

Old 04-20-2017, 11:57 AM

1,023 posts, read 912,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
While Richmond is more similar to The District, I've for years on here spoken of some of the subtle similarities between Rich and Bmore. Are they that similar? I don't know, but they aren't that different, either. They are separated by fewer than 150 miles downtown-to-downtown with several common links. To call one entirely southern or northern, but not the other, is a flawed and biased perception, but one that has been perpetuated on this board for years. I know exactly what you mean about older people in both (many people here have relatives there, and vice versa). But this is a generally fruitless argument on this board, one I'm sure I haven't even brought up in at least two years...

But you aren't wrong...
Yea, I'm starting to learn the subtle(not so subtle) nuances of city-data. When you mention that two places have similarities(like verifiable, statistical similarities) people assume that you are calling the two places identical twins. Cities can have similarities without being identical. Heck, no two cities are identical...even ones only separated by a bridge. Things on here seem to be black and white with little room for gray. It is what it is, I suppose.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:28 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
The South is a large region and I'm sure that you'll find rural Whites in almost every Southern state who will go mudding and whatnot. The Northeast has the perception of infinite urbanism so those who go mudding up North aren't thought of. The South still has the image of rural and poor.
Both perceptions are very poor and should be corrected. Not only it the north far more rural than people think, the south is not as rural as people think either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
The Mason Dixon Line was certainly a divider of North and South back in slavery times. I thought it was common knowledge that a slave was safe once they hit PA.
Not entirely true. The reason the underground railroad was still kept generally secret all the way into NY was because they still weren't safe. Some northerners would capture them and sell them back to the south, and southerners were coming up to hunt them down as well.

People forget that the north/south cultural divide was not quite as black and white as history has made it seem. There were definitely ill-minded northerners who saw dollar signs over freed men.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:44 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Not entirely true. The reason the underground railroad was still kept generally secret all the way into NY was because they still weren't safe. Some northerners would capture them and sell them back to the south, and southerners were coming up to hunt them down as well.

People forget that the north/south cultural divide was not quite as black and white as history has made it seem. There were definitely ill-minded northerners who saw dollar signs over freed men.
You're absolutely right. Lots of free Black folks were kidnapped in Philadelphia and sold (back) into slavery. Africans in America/Part 3/Kidnapping in Pennsylvania

Old 04-20-2017, 12:57 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're absolutely right. Lots of free Black folks were kidnapped in Philadelphia and sold (back) into slavery. Africans in America/Part 3/Kidnapping in Pennsylvania
That is the current storyline in the TV show "Underground."

Old 04-20-2017, 01:18 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
I don't consider West Virginia southern, though. I see it in the same vein as western PA. Applachian/Interior Northeast. The South does not have the monopoly on Appalachia.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:43 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I don't consider West Virginia southern, though. I see it in the same vein as western PA. Applachian/Interior Northeast. The South does not have the monopoly on Appalachia.
West va only exists because they didn't want to be part of the confederacy

The truth is this there isn't much diff between the rust belt south and Midwest America is that swath vs the north east and west

Old 04-20-2017, 01:59 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I think the exact opposite.

I don't consider West Virginia northern. I see it the same vein as western Virginia and eastern Kentucky. Appalachian/Upper South. The South does not have a monopoly on Appalachia but the heart of Appalachia was historically in the South.

https://www.arc.gov/research/MapsofA...asp?MAP_ID=116 Check out this map from the Appalachian Regional Commission and decide if West Virginia has more in common with Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee or as you say, if West Virginia has more in common with Pennsylvania and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.