U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 PM

453 posts, read 732,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Too dry? We had better hope not as the area is a major producer of fruits and vegetables for the entire US. It's a very fertile area with an ideal dry Mediterranean climate (think Greece) for growing/gardening.

From Wikipedia: Although the region hosts abundant green and leafy vegetation due to the hydrology of the Tulare Basin, Bakersfield has a desert climate with long, hot, dry summers, and brief, cool, moist (but not wet) winters. In fact, Bakersfield enjoys more clear days than the majority of the U.S. (averaging 191 days a year). Bakersfield enjoys long-lasting, mild autumns, and warm springs, giving the region a unique climate suitable for growing a wide variety of crops (ranging from carrots to citrus, almonds, and pistachios). Rainfall averages only 6.5 in (165 mm) annually, mostly falling during winter and spring. Typically, no rain falls from May through September.

To answer your question they could do either Oxnard or Ventura. I personally was going to recommend Oxnard but thought perhaps it could be too remote in terms of the airport criteria.

Dang! Thanks for the education. Didn't know all that about Bakersfield.

Wow. You think Oxnard/Ventura?
I guess LAX would be their airport of preference then?

I can't find any good houses in my price range there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 09:37 AM

36 posts, read 5,545 times
I would highly recommend Southern NM and west TX as a great option and fits most of your criteria (minus the water which you usually pay a premium for).
Its one of the sunniest places in the US, not too hot summers, dry not humid but gardening is still possible, mild winters and great scenery. The COL (cost of living) is low and in TX you pay no state income tax.

That price range would get you a really nice home in either Las Cruces NM or El Paso TX! The city of El Paso is experiencing much growth and its shaking its old negative border city stereotype and is a city of around 900,000 while Las Cruses is smaller with a bit over 100,000 and is more serene along with the town of Mesilla.

I would for sure avoid California with all its weird laws, large populations, political and economic problems and high COL

Last edited by AlexInTheHouse; 04-22-2017 at 09:50 AM..

Old 04-22-2017, 10:27 AM

4,852 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Lazy beach town in Oregon.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInTheHouse View Post
I would highly recommend Southern NM and west TX as a great option and fits most of your criteria (minus the water which you usually pay a premium for).
Its one of the sunniest places in the US, not too hot summers, dry not humid but gardening is still possible, mild winters and great scenery. The COL (cost of living) is low and in TX you pay no state income tax.

That price range would get you a really nice home in either Las Cruces NM or El Paso TX! The city of El Paso is experiencing much growth and its shaking its old negative border city stereotype and is a city of around 900,000 while Las Cruses is smaller with a bit over 100,000 and is more serene along with the town of Mesilla.

I would for sure avoid California with all its weird laws, large populations, political and economic problems and high COL
Thanks for the thoughts AlexInTheHouse!

I have been to El Paso and I know for sure that my parents would not like it there. I thought it was a very interesting town and was visiting a friend who was taking classes at UTEP.
It is too dry and arid and my parents I assume would have a very difficult time gardening there. But agreed that the COL is low. They won't be working when retired hopefully and won't have to worry about the tax.

Now NM is a cool choice that I have not entertained. I worry a bit about the isolation in the middle of the country and long flights to come visit us in the PNW though.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Lazy beach town in Oregon.
I would think that would be way to cold, rainy, and windy for them. Hard to garden in the winter on the coast I would think.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:04 PM

39,415 posts, read 2,974,514 times
Chico California. About 2 hours to Sacramento airport.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:02 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,431,560 times
Check out Simi Valley.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:39 PM

36 posts, read 5,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
Thanks for the thoughts AlexInTheHouse!

I have been to El Paso and I know for sure that my parents would not like it there. I thought it was a very interesting town and was visiting a friend who was taking classes at UTEP.
It is too dry and arid and my parents I assume would have a very difficult time gardening there. But agreed that the COL is low. They won't be working when retired hopefully and won't have to worry about the tax.

Now NM is a cool choice that I have not entertained. I worry a bit about the isolation in the middle of the country and long flights to come visit us in the PNW though.
Las Cruces and Mesilla are situated within the Rio Grande valley and thus the soil is good for gardening and there's even agriculture in the lower spots. The El Paso airport is a bit more than an hour away from LC. The flight shouldn't be too long for up there. If they want something something on the laid back style as assume they do as retirees, this could be our spot then. I would check and inquire in the Las Cruces section of the city-data forum.

Oh, also Santa Teresa NM near the upper valley of El Paso and across the state line also has the above characteristics while being right next to El Paso if they want to be closer to a bigger urban area

Old 04-26-2017, 02:32 PM

Chico, Simi Valley, and NM are all places I will look into.

I am still shying away from NM for them as I still think it is too far from the PNW and the conditions are too dry for gardening effectively.
I would even think that CO has better gardening opportunities than NM?

What if I added one more variable?

Chico or Simi Valley reasonable places to invest in a rental property for the next 5 years? On the off chance that my folks shy away from retiring at said place?

Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 PM

266 posts, read 214,646 times
500k could get you two properties in Clovis

300k for a nice house. 200k for investment property.

Yes, Clovis is warm. 97 degrees is the July average high, but it really cools off at night. I turn off my ac during most summer nights. [Chico avg July high is 94]
Winters are a joke and you can def do winter gardening.

I just did a Zillow search on chico and it seems to be a bit more expensive than Clovis.

If you want bang for your buck, look into it.

Gl, cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or