U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:41 AM
Status: "Summertime, and the living's easy" (set 21 days ago)

2,077 posts, read 584,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Would positions like these listed fit what he is looking for?: http://www.city-data.com/forum/47903462-post450.html
1 or 2 of them might work for him. He would like to stay in marketing, but he would be willing to do something a little different if it got him in the door. I have to say though, neither of us are real familiar with hockey, so I am not sure if that would play against him getting a job with a hockey team. A couple of the jobs may actually fit me better than him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't think you should rule out the entire South based on your current location along the Gulf Coast. The Piedmont/Appalachian South is quite different than where you are now.
Well, we are quite familiar with the Piedmont/Appalachian South as well. I was born and raised in NC (Winston-Salem area), and have spent a large part of my life over in that general vicinity (Charlotte/Raleigh). While NC certainly has good things about it, we are wanting to move somewhere a little more tolerant and little more liberal than the south.

We have also lived in the Memphis/north MS area. So we aren't basing this just off of the Gulf Coast. We want our son to be raised somewhere other than the south. It is just a personal preference of course, but we just don't fit in down here. For example, we are both agnostic/atheists and liberal. We fit in in some way, like the fact that we love college football and enjoy fishing, but for the most part, we are fish out of water.

And yes, we realize that all places will have problems, and nowhere is perfect. To be honest, we just want to live somewhere that isn't the south at this point. Let's say, north of NC.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:10 AM

679 posts, read 463,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Well, I would prefer somewhere that gets all four seasons and gets some snow, but doesn't get hammered all the time, if you know what I mean. If an area fits what we want, and happens to get hammered often, I would still be willing to look into it and try it out. I am a very adaptable person. My husband would be good with anything, as long as it doesn't have as bad of a summer as here in the deep south. He doesn't do too well in the high heat and humidity.

I have, previously, looked into the areas above though, as they had been mentioned to my husband before. The Revolution is a time period we are both somewhat fascinated with, and we have actually toyed with the idea of the Boston area, mainly because of it, so having that kind of stuff nearby would be great. They definitely look places we would like, and may end up on our list to check out on our upcoming trips.
If your interested in colonial history Rhode Island is a cheaper alternative to the Boston area. Boston and NYC are easy day trips. As for nature, nowhere in RI is more than 30 mins to the beach, islands, salt marshes, rivers and lakes. Close to forests and mountains . The economy in RI has greatly improved. Unemployment is now below the national average. I don't have kids so idk about schools.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:26 PM

24,980 posts, read 23,891,412 times
I agree with the Philly area. There's so much to see and do, it's nearly impossible to make a list. The summer heat isn't as intense as the South, and winter isn't nearly as scary as the Northeast. I grew up in Northeastern PA and have lived in Fayetteville, NC.

While it may not be important to you, you wouldn't be terribly far from the NJ and DE beaches.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:44 PM

29,900 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Well, we are quite familiar with the Piedmont/Appalachian South as well. I was born and raised in NC (Winston-Salem area), and have spent a large part of my life over in that general vicinity (Charlotte/Raleigh). While NC certainly has good things about it, we are wanting to move somewhere a little more tolerant and little more liberal than the south.

We have also lived in the Memphis/north MS area. So we aren't basing this just off of the Gulf Coast. We want our son to be raised somewhere other than the south. It is just a personal preference of course, but we just don't fit in down here. For example, we are both agnostic/atheists and liberal. We fit in in some way, like the fact that we love college football and enjoy fishing, but for the most part, we are fish out of water.

And yes, we realize that all places will have problems, and nowhere is perfect. To be honest, we just want to live somewhere that isn't the south at this point. Let's say, north of NC.
Well you were entertaining the mention of Charlottesville (and yes, VA is a Southern state) so that's why I said that. You can certainly find places within the South where you wouldn't feel like a fish out of water (as a native NC'er, certainly you're familiar with Asheville), but if you're looking for certain bastions of atheists/agnostics and liberals, I'd be looking at New England myself. I'm not sure if the suburban Philly area will be liberal/atheist/agnostic enough for you; after all, those outlying areas are what turned PA red in the last election. But you'll have to deal with the snow in New England...there's really no way around that.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:53 PM

56,546 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
1 or 2 of them might work for him. He would like to stay in marketing, but he would be willing to do something a little different if it got him in the door. I have to say though, neither of us are real familiar with hockey, so I am not sure if that would play against him getting a job with a hockey team. A couple of the jobs may actually fit me better than him.
I thought about that and what may help is that a couple of the cities allow you to get your pro and/or major college football fix, with all 3 of the areas having parts that would/could fit the rest or most of the other criteria. I know that a couple of the areas mentioned have historical forts(Fort Niagara and Fort Ontario).

I also thought about something like this, as the city/area would definitely fit in terms of good schools and being "liberal": https://ithaca.peopleadmin.com/postings/11229 (short time period in terms of start date though, but the college is known for its historically good Division 3 Football program)

Also, would you consider the Pacific Northwest?

Old 04-21-2017, 01:11 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,970,647 times
I'll also back up the Philadelphia metro. In particular, New Castle County, Delaware has everything you're looking for. There's tons of history to explore--old New Castle, Fort Delaware, the Brandywine Valley, Winterthur Museum, etc. Delaware is after all the First State, and a lot has happened here.

Delaware History Trail - Historic Sites

As has been mentioned, the weather is a mild four-seasons climate. You have quick access to both the Delaware Beaches and Jersey Shore, some of the best beaches in the nation. There are lots of rolling hills and wooded areas for hiking, camping, cycling or leisurely driving (Chateau Country). And if you like to shop, Delaware is famous for its tax-free shopping.

Delaware Shopping - Tax Free Shopping in Delaware, Shopping Outlets & More

You have quick access, either by car or rail, to both Philadelphia (~30 minutes) and Baltimore (~75 minutes), with Washington D.C. and New York City each around 2.5 hours away. Suburban Wilmington, the Wilmington Riverfront, and Trolley Square are excellent areas to live in, while Newark, home to the University of Delaware, is another great locale to live. The UD Fightin' Blue Hens, minor league baseball Wilmington Blue Rocks (Kansas City Royals affiliate) and NBA Developmental League Delaware 87ers (Philadelphia 76ers affiliate) could be great options for your husband (or the pro teams in Philadelphia). And there are plenty of excellent private and magnet schools in the area.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...-delaware-1431
https://www.niche.com/k12/rankings/p...ll/s/delaware/
The Official Site of The Wilmington Blue Rocks | bluerocks.com Homepage
Home - Delaware 87ers
https://www.trulia.com/DE/Wilmington/
SEPTA | Wilmington/Newark Line Regional Rail Schedule | Weekday | to Wilmington & Newark, DE
https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte..._Page&code=WIL

Old 04-21-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
If your interested in colonial history Rhode Island is a cheaper alternative to the Boston area. Boston and NYC are easy day trips. As for nature, nowhere in RI is more than 30 mins to the beach, islands, salt marshes, rivers and lakes. Close to forests and mountains . The economy in RI has greatly improved. Unemployment is now below the national average. I don't have kids so idk about schools.
Yea, I'll be honest, I have never really thought about Rhode Island much. It is just one of those places that seems to slip my mind. We do love the beach, so that would be nice. It is certainly close to several great areas for nature and city life.... I will have to do some research on areas though, because I am definitely not familiar with the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I agree with the Philly area. There's so much to see and do, it's nearly impossible to make a list. The summer heat isn't as intense as the South, and winter isn't nearly as scary as the Northeast. I grew up in Northeastern PA and have lived in Fayetteville, NC.

While it may not be important to you, you wouldn't be terribly far from the NJ and DE beaches.

Being near the beach would be great! I know that it would be quite different from what we are used to here in south Alabama and northern Florida, but we do love the water!

Old 04-21-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well you were entertaining the mention of Charlottesville (and yes, VA is a Southern state) so that's why I said that. You can certainly find places within the South where you wouldn't feel like a fish out of water (as a native NC'er, certainly you're familiar with Asheville), but if you're looking for certain bastions of atheists/agnostics and liberals, I'd be looking at New England myself. I'm not sure if the suburban Philly area will be liberal/atheist/agnostic enough for you; after all, those outlying areas are what turned PA red in the last election. But you'll have to deal with the snow in New England...there's really no way around that.
I am aware it is southern, and yes, I am familiar with Asheville. While I like Asheville, and could potentially consider it at some point, it isn't where we are looking at the moment.

Also, I am not looking for somewhere that is some magical haven of atheists and liberals. I have no problem with conservatives, or those who attend church, considering the large majority of my family and friends are both of those things. I would just like somewhere that you don't get asked about it every few days, or get looked down on if you don't go to church. New England would certainly be the top place for liberals and non-religious, but may be too much for me in terms of winter weather. Not entirely sure yet.

Philly, while the outlying areas may have helped Trump win, certainly has a lot more going for it than somewhere like Asheville (where the city is surrounded by dark red for a hundred miles in every direction). Maybe Charlottesville is no better, I don't know. Which is why I said I would check it out. The only thing I know for sure about Charlottesville, is that I thought it was cool when I was a kid.

The grander point, is that we don't really want to look any further south than VA right now. We have friends in NOVA and Richmond, and have considered them, which is the main reason VA is even still a possibility.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I'll also back up the Philadelphia metro. In particular, New Castle County, Delaware has everything you're looking for. There's tons of history to explore--old New Castle, Fort Delaware, the Brandywine Valley, Winterthur Museum, etc. Delaware is after all the First State, and a lot has happened here.

Delaware History Trail - Historic Sites

As has been mentioned, the weather is a mild four-seasons climate. You have quick access to both the Delaware Beaches and Jersey Shore, some of the best beaches in the nation. There are lots of rolling hills and wooded areas for hiking, camping, cycling or leisurely driving (Chateau Country). And if you like to shop, Delaware is famous for its tax-free shopping.

Delaware Shopping - Tax Free Shopping in Delaware, Shopping Outlets & More

You have quick access, either by car or rail, to both Philadelphia (~30 minutes) and Baltimore (~75 minutes), with Washington D.C. and New York City each around 2.5 hours away. Suburban Wilmington, the Wilmington Riverfront, and Trolley Square are excellent areas to live in, while Newark, home to the University of Delaware, is another great locale to live. The UD Fightin' Blue Hens, minor league baseball Wilmington Blue Rocks (Kansas City Royals affiliate) and NBA Developmental League Delaware 87ers (Philadelphia 76ers affiliate) could be great options for your husband (or the pro teams in Philadelphia). And there are plenty of excellent private and magnet schools in the area.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...-delaware-1431
https://www.niche.com/k12/rankings/p...ll/s/delaware/
The Official Site of The Wilmington Blue Rocks | bluerocks.com Homepage
Home - Delaware 87ers
https://www.trulia.com/DE/Wilmington/
SEPTA | Wilmington/Newark Line Regional Rail Schedule | Weekday | to Wilmington & Newark, DE
https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte..._Page&code=WIL
Thanks for the Delaware info! This is another one of those states, like RI, I just never really think about. The northern portion could certainly be a contender though. Being between Baltimore and Philly, and being close to the beaches, would be great.

You have given me something to ponder....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or