U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Status: "Summertime, and the living's easy" (set 20 days ago)

2,065 posts, read 584,248 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My husband and I are both tired of the south. We like some things about it here, but we dislike far more than we like. We would like to eventually move further north. Now, my husband is game to move pretty much anywhere, and weather is not a factor at all for him. Personally, I would like to move somewhere that doesn't get bombarded with snow every few days in the winter. With that being said, it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker if it fit everything else.

We have pretty much the same criteria as every other young family, such as good schools, low crime, etc. However, we would love to have things like a walkable downtown, and be closer to a large city. We would be fine with a suburb as long as it is somewhat a city in its own right (not a large city, just somewhere that we can shop and hangout without it being necessary to go into the city). Size isn't a huge deal, and we aren't really narrowing places down by price yet, since we are probably a few years away from actually being able to move.

About us. We are both 30 years old, and we have a soon to be 5 year old. We love nature and history, but also enjoy a night out on the town occasionally. I work in accounting, and my husband has a degree in Marketing Management, and works in marketing currently. My husband would love to work for a sports organization of some kind, so being close to something like that (a college, minor league sports team, or even major league) would be great.

We also want to be in a kind of "gateway" area. What I mean by that, is we would like to be in an area where both nature and history (museums, battlefields, etc) are readily accessible. It doesn't necessarily need to be right next door, but say within an hour or so. We plan out taking a few trips this year, so we can scout some locations. We are just looking for somewhere that somewhat meets our criteria, so any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 12:56 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
My mind went to Charlottesville VA when reading your criteria and feel it could be worth a look for you.

https://www.visitcharlottesville.org/visitors/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wItcZ65rHg

Old 04-20-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
My mind went to Charlottesville VA when reading your criteria and feel it could be worth a look for you.

https://www.visitcharlottesville.org/visitors/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wItcZ65rHg
I will definitely do so! I am actually from NC (Winston-Salem area), and have been there before, but it has been about 15 years or so at this point. I remember it being pretty nice, and my dad hating it (He is a UNC fan and hates UVA lol).

Old 04-20-2017, 02:13 PM

7,130 posts, read 9,901,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Hello everyone!

My husband and I are both tired of the south. We like some things about it here, but we dislike far more than we like. We would like to eventually move further north. Now, my husband is game to move pretty much anywhere, and weather is not a factor at all for him. Personally, I would like to move somewhere that doesn't get bombarded with snow every few days in the winter. With that being said, it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker if it fit everything else.

We have pretty much the same criteria as every other young family, such as good schools, low crime, etc. However, we would love to have things like a walkable downtown, and be closer to a large city. We would be fine with a suburb as long as it is somewhat a city in its own right (not a large city, just somewhere that we can shop and hangout without it being necessary to go into the city). Size isn't a huge deal, and we aren't really narrowing places down by price yet, since we are probably a few years away from actually being able to move.

About us. We are both 30 years old, and we have a soon to be 5 year old. We love nature and history, but also enjoy a night out on the town occasionally. I work in accounting, and my husband has a degree in Marketing Management, and works in marketing currently. My husband would love to work for a sports organization of some kind, so being close to something like that (a college, minor league sports team, or even major league) would be great.

We also want to be in a kind of "gateway" area. What I mean by that, is we would like to be in an area where both nature and history (museums, battlefields, etc) are readily accessible. It doesn't necessarily need to be right next door, but say within an hour or so. We plan out taking a few trips this year, so we can scout some locations. We are just looking for somewhere that somewhat meets our criteria, so any help would be great!
If you do not mind colder and longer winters, you might look at Saratoga or Warren County in New York. Right outside the huge Adirondack Park (Warren is largely in the Adirondacks). Numerous battlefields and forts from the American Revolution and the French & Indian Wars like Saratoga NB, Fort Ticonderoga, Fort William Henry (Last of the Mohicans) and Fort Edward.

Saratoga Springs
Lake George
Glen Falls
Ballston Spa
Fort Edward

Albany is not too far away and Vermont and the Green Mountains are pretty close too.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:28 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,037,009 times
Default Philly metro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Hello everyone!

It sounds like somewhere around Philly would be ideal for you: numerous battlefields (plus Valley Forge), a large (and growing) number of museums and historic sites, and a terrific selection of restaurants (most of the best are downtown, aka "Center City"). Lots of un/lightly-populated getaways - Poconos to the North, Pinelands (aka "Pine Barrens") to the East. Philly itself has Wissahickon Creek, part of Fairmount Park - it's a large expanse of woods separating 'hoods in the northwest part of the city. The Schuylkill River trail currently connects Center City to Valley Forge - 25 miles or so of paved trail for cycling, running, etc. Plus, it lengthens on a regular basis; and there are many other trails on the PA side of the Delaware.

There are many towns in the metro area with fun, functional downtowns: Doylestown, Ambler, Jenkintown, Glenside, etc. etc.

You might want to go to Questions For Future and Potential Residents and general information. and post your replies on the Philly forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/philadelphia/

Old 04-20-2017, 03:58 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,168 times
Another vote for Eastern PA or Eastern Upstate NY. Massachusetts is another option.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If you do not mind colder and longer winters, you might look at Saratoga or Warren County in New York. Right outside the huge Adirondack Park (Warren is largely in the Adirondacks). Numerous battlefields and forts from the American Revolution and the French & Indian Wars like Saratoga NB, Fort Ticonderoga, Fort William Henry (Last of the Mohicans) and Fort Edward.

Saratoga Springs
Lake George
Glen Falls
Ballston Spa
Fort Edward

Albany is not too far away and Vermont and the Green Mountains are pretty close too.
Well, I would prefer somewhere that gets all four seasons and gets some snow, but doesn't get hammered all the time, if you know what I mean. If an area fits what we want, and happens to get hammered often, I would still be willing to look into it and try it out. I am a very adaptable person. My husband would be good with anything, as long as it doesn't have as bad of a summer as here in the deep south. He doesn't do too well in the high heat and humidity.

I have, previously, looked into the areas above though, as they had been mentioned to my husband before. The Revolution is a time period we are both somewhat fascinated with, and we have actually toyed with the idea of the Boston area, mainly because of it, so having that kind of stuff nearby would be great. They definitely look places we would like, and may end up on our list to check out on our upcoming trips.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
It sounds like somewhere around Philly would be ideal for you: numerous battlefields (plus Valley Forge), a large (and growing) number of museums and historic sites, and a terrific selection of restaurants (most of the best are downtown, aka "Center City"). Lots of un/lightly-populated getaways - Poconos to the North, Pinelands (aka "Pine Barrens") to the East. Philly itself has Wissahickon Creek, part of Fairmount Park - it's a large expanse of woods separating 'hoods in the northwest part of the city. The Schuylkill River trail currently connects Center City to Valley Forge - 25 miles or so of paved trail for cycling, running, etc. Plus, it lengthens on a regular basis; and there are many other trails on the PA side of the Delaware.

There are many towns in the metro area with fun, functional downtowns: Doylestown, Ambler, Jenkintown, Glenside, etc. etc.

You might want to go to Questions For Future and Potential Residents and general information. and post your replies on the Philly forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/philadelphia/
You know, I haven't really thought about the Philly area recently. I went up to Wayne, PA for a work thing about 6 years ago or so, and thought it was a pretty nice area. I didn't get to do much other than work stuff though, other than ride the main line a little bit.

I will definitely look into the towns you mention though, because I think the Philly area would be pretty good for what we are looking for. Plenty to do, history and nature close by, larger cities pretty close as well, not too terrible in the summer or winter....

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2017, 09:20 AM

56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Would positions like these listed fit what he is looking for?: http://www.city-data.com/forum/47903462-post450.html

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-21-2017 at 09:51 AM..

Old 04-21-2017, 09:40 AM

29,893 posts, read 27,345,109 times
I don't think you should rule out the entire South based on your current location along the Gulf Coast. The Piedmont/Appalachian South is quite different than where you are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or