U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 03:46 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,521,748 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are from the Indiana/Kentucky area (Louisville, So.Indiana) We lived there until about a year and a half ago. I then received and amazing opportunity with my company and we moved to San Francisco. We have been a little over a year and have about a year left until I can transfer again, however we are about to begin the "planning" phase of things. We definitely want OUT of this area and out of California in general. I am luckily able to transfer about anywhere in the US so any suggestions welcome.

A little background for us. We are in our mid-20's, no kids(but plan to have some in the next 2-3 years), have great jobs/careers, and enjoy the outdoors. Political stance isn't a huge issue, however we cannot live in another "California", as elite liberalism is just too much to deal with. We like suburbs compared to actually living in a major city. We have only lived in a couple places so far, Louisville, KY...Nashville, TN...and currently San Francisco. We did not like Nashville, and do not like San Francisco/California.

Out next move, we want to make somewhat permanent. As in buy a house and stay at least 5-10 years. Each State/city obviously has a different cost of living , but we manage to pay outrageous rent & still do all we live in the San Francisco area, so that's that, but we would like somewhere more affordable to actually be able to own & pay off a house.

So, all being said, just looking for possible suggestions on where we might be a "fit".

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 04:50 PM

179 posts, read 125,669 times
Texas, baby Texas

Old 04-23-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie_g View Post
Texas, baby Texas
I've been to Texas twice, both time to the Dallas area, specifically stayed in Rockwall. Seems nice enough!

Old 04-23-2017, 05:11 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
What about weather preferences? Walkability? Jobs?

Old 04-23-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about weather preferences? Walkability? Jobs?
As far as jobs go, that's the whole reason we can try to go about anywhere. My company is in every major city/state. The only requirement is I have to live within 50 miles of my "assigned city". So if for instance I was assigned to Dallas, I'd have to live within 50 miles of Dallas city limits. Suburbs always preferred

Walkablity is a plus, but not a necessity. I don't mind driving to the grocery, out to eat, etc...

Weather again isn't a big deal breaker. Having lived in Louisville, the hot humid summers can be dealt with, as can the cold winters. I do like the weather in California, but it's hard to come by. The only states I'd rule out are the extreme cold winter states, so North Dakota and places like that

Old 04-23-2017, 05:27 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
As far as jobs go, that's the whole reason we can try to go about anywhere. My company is in every major city/state. The only requirement is I have to live within 50 miles of my "assigned city". So if for instance I was assigned to Dallas, I'd have to live within 50 miles of Dallas city limits. Suburbs always preferred

Walkablity is a plus, but not a necessity. I don't mind driving to the grocery, out to eat, etc...

Weather again isn't a big deal breaker. Having lived in Louisville, the hot humid summers can be dealt with, as can the cold winters. I do like the weather in California, but it's hard to come by. The only states I'd rule out are the extreme cold winter states, so North Dakota and places like that
Do you have an area population limit/range?

So, an area like the Twin Cities is a no go? No Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, etc.?

Old 04-23-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Do you have an area population limit/range?

So, an area like the Twin Cities is a no go? No Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, etc.?
I wouldn't consider those areas as "extreme" winter (at least not to me). I have a sibling in Minot, North Dakota. In the winter, it obviously snows nonstop, but the temps are around -30 to -60. That's a little too cold for me.

Cold temperatures and snow isn't the end of the world. However, I would prefer not to be "snowed in" throughout the winter.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:09 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,343,100 times
Stop overthinking it and come to New York City. If you can be within 50 miles of the city you can have the advantages of suburban or even semi-rural areas, plus the advantages of the big city nearby when you want them. Four season weather is great, and politics is not a day-to-day conversation in most places around here that I know of outside the city. There are too many areas to pick one, however, without some idea of your budget and any other preferences besides the ones you've mentioned..

FWIW, when I'm in the Bay Area (usually in SF, Oakland or Berkeley) I find most people aren't what I'd consider highly political. Most don't like Trump, true dat. Some will actually says something about it, and a few will march or protest (peacefully). But most seem to be concerned about the same stuff everyone else is concerned about: the traffic, the weather, their kids' schools, the local teams, where they're heading for vacation, the homeless, etc. etc. Though I do get the random griping about the costs of housing there, which really is outrageous.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:17 PM

7,383 posts, read 13,224,704 times
Honestly, it'd be hard to suggest what "fits" when your list is simply "(relatively) affordable homes", later adding suburbs are preferred. I'm assuming you want a place with good access to the outdoors since that was mentioned. Could you add more because right now just about everywhere could work.

What about Nashville didn't you like?

Old 04-23-2017, 10:36 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,399,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
My wife and I are from the Indiana/Kentucky area (Louisville, So.Indiana) We lived there until about a year and a half ago. I then received and amazing opportunity with my company and we moved to San Francisco. We have been a little over a year and have about a year left until I can transfer again, however we are about to begin the "planning" phase of things. We definitely want OUT of this area and out of California in general. I am luckily able to transfer about anywhere in the US so any suggestions welcome.

A little background for us. We are in our mid-20's, no kids(but plan to have some in the next 2-3 years), have great jobs/careers, and enjoy the outdoors. Political stance isn't a huge issue, however we cannot live in another "California", as elite liberalism is just too much to deal with. We like suburbs compared to actually living in a major city. We have only lived in a couple places so far, Louisville, KY...Nashville, TN...and currently San Francisco. We did not like Nashville, and do not like San Francisco/California.

Out next move, we want to make somewhat permanent. As in buy a house and stay at least 5-10 years. Each State/city obviously has a different cost of living , but we manage to pay outrageous rent & still do all we live in the San Francisco area, so that's that, but we would like somewhere more affordable to actually be able to own & pay off a house.

So, all being said, just looking for possible suggestions on where we might be a "fit".

Thanks in advance
This is what I got out of your post

-Flexible in terms of relocation
-Suburbs
-You like the outdoors
-Not California
-No extreme politics, particularly liberal elitism
-Not Nashville
-Somewhat affordable.

That's incredibly broad and covers about 80% of the country.

Here are some questions to narrow your focus:

-What size metro area are you most interested in or is this not a factor?

-What did you dislike most about San Francisco (besides political elitism) and Nashville?

-Roughly what's your budget for houses?

-What are your hobbies/interests (apart from the outdoors)?

-Does topography/geography matter at all? i.e. desert, coastal living, hilly, flatlands

-Are there any cities you are particularly interested in?

If you are open to the Midwest there are numerous safe, suburban areas with great schools, lack of pretense/elitism, moderate politics and relative affordability compared to the coasts.

Some suggestions:

Dublin, Ohio or New Albany (metro Columbus)

Carmel or Fishers, Indiana (metro Indy)

Westlake, Ohio (metro Cleveland)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.