U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 05:32 PM

119 posts, read 182,018 times

Advertisements

I live in Southern Utah right now. The good sides has been, great weather, safe community, very low property tax, super cheap electricty and my husband owns a successful small business and we have been able to be comfortable financially until now.

It is hard to leave financially stability but we feel forced to due to the lack of local medical care. We are driving 830 miles round trip to Phoenix for medical care that is out of pocket since the only insurance we can buy is only good in state. The school system while I feel was very safe, the quality of education is very low even at the best school and there are no private options.

Our main medical need is Neurology.
I would be fine living up to 1 hour away from a good neurology department, One that has good results for epilepsy and autonomic conditions.

I would like a safe place to live, not in am major city but again within a hour of one. We have been living in Utah so long even though we visit major cities , I think day to day we have become accustom to the not locking doors, knowing your neighbors type of place.

I will have 1 child that will be starting high school. I would like a good school, almost anything would be better then what we have. The main needs would be multiple foreign languages and strong science programs. I would take a rural smaller school that isn't rated #1 if they had long term teachers that were dedicated.

As for a house under 300k, 3 bedrooms, quiet neighborhood, any land would be great(since lots here are like .15 acre, I would be thrilled with anything more then .25 acre). My husband is very handy and has built a home himself so I don't mind a fixer or projects.

Good internet at the our home. I have found many great locations don't have high speed internet. My epileptic son has good job working from home for the next year and needs high speed reliable connection. I currently pay $130 a month for internet so I don't mind paying if the service is reliable.

I don't want to be landlocked again. I know there are some great Midwestern cities but after moving to southern Utah and it having everything we wanted and watch doctors and teachers leave I don't want another situation that we have only 1 choice of hospital or 1 school.

Im not as concerned about job as medical care and a decent right price housing and schools. My husband went to college but he also completed trade school. He has yet to be turned down for a job relating to his trade skills. My son works from home and I have a small income from home as well. We also have equity in our home enough to buy a home outright or with a small mortgage.

Is there anywhere in New England/upstate Ny that matches my needs and price? I have lived there before and would love to go back but everything seems so expensive or crime ridden in New England and upstate NY or even rural PA seems to have bad internet options or high property taxes and utilities. Im open to most states. I would prefer 4 seasons or a climate that is not over 110 degrees all summer and so dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 06:41 PM

679 posts, read 463,183 times
how about Providence? close to Boston, but also has great hospitals as well. Crime is low, and if you're in the suburbs it's even lower. Rhode Island has some of the fastest internet speeds in the country, I think it's number 3.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:44 PM

56,525 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspoons View Post
I live in Southern Utah right now. The good sides has been, great weather, safe community, very low property tax, super cheap electricty and my husband owns a successful small business and we have been able to be comfortable financially until now.

It is hard to leave financially stability but we feel forced to due to the lack of local medical care. We are driving 830 miles round trip to Phoenix for medical care that is out of pocket since the only insurance we can buy is only good in state. The school system while I feel was very safe, the quality of education is very low even at the best school and there are no private options.

Our main medical need is Neurology.
I would be fine living up to 1 hour away from a good neurology department, One that has good results for epilepsy and autonomic conditions.

I would like a safe place to live, not in am major city but again within a hour of one. We have been living in Utah so long even though we visit major cities , I think day to day we have become accustom to the not locking doors, knowing your neighbors type of place.

I will have 1 child that will be starting high school. I would like a good school, almost anything would be better then what we have. The main needs would be multiple foreign languages and strong science programs. I would take a rural smaller school that isn't rated #1 if they had long term teachers that were dedicated.

As for a house under 300k, 3 bedrooms, quiet neighborhood, any land would be great(since lots here are like .15 acre, I would be thrilled with anything more then .25 acre). My husband is very handy and has built a home himself so I don't mind a fixer or projects.

Good internet at the our home. I have found many great locations don't have high speed internet. My epileptic son has good job working from home for the next year and needs high speed reliable connection. I currently pay $130 a month for internet so I don't mind paying if the service is reliable.

I don't want to be landlocked again. I know there are some great Midwestern cities but after moving to southern Utah and it having everything we wanted and watch doctors and teachers leave I don't want another situation that we have only 1 choice of hospital or 1 school.

Im not as concerned about job as medical care and a decent right price housing and schools. My husband went to college but he also completed trade school. He has yet to be turned down for a job relating to his trade skills. My son works from home and I have a small income from home as well. We also have equity in our home enough to buy a home outright or with a small mortgage.

Is there anywhere in New England/upstate Ny that matches my needs and price? I have lived there before and would love to go back but everything seems so expensive or crime ridden in New England and upstate NY or even rural PA seems to have bad internet options or high property taxes and utilities. Im open to most states. I would prefer 4 seasons or a climate that is not over 110 degrees all summer and so dry.
Corning NY seems similar to where you are, but due to having Corning Incorporated, a Fortune 500 company, you have good healthcare within the Guthrie Health network: https://www.guthrie.org

https://www.guthrie.org/guthrie-clinic-locations

Corning-Painted Post Schools are solid and its new high school(had 2 HS's until a few years ago) has quite a few programs: Corning Painted Post High School | 201 Cantigney Street | Corning, NY 14830

RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Corning & the Southern Finger Lakes Official Vacation Planner

If you don't mind a smaller town, Owego may work due to its proximity to Guthrie's Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre PA(which along with Waverly NY could be considered as well): Village of Owego |
Town Of Owego
Historic Owego Marketplace
Owego Apalachin Central School District

https://www.guthrie.org/location/gut...acker-hospital

Welcome to Sayre Borough | Borough of Sayre

Waverly NY ...Attractions, Shopping, History ... by The Waverly Business Association, Waverly New York 14892 ...Tioga County
Village of Waverly - Tioga County - Southern Tier of New York State ...villageofwaverly.com

Another nearby PA community: bradfordcountpa.org :: Athens Borough

RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Crime is more petty property crime and outside of select parts of the bigger cities, crime in Upstate NY is generally low.

Keep property taxes in mind, but also keep property tax exemptions and median home price in mind. Overall cost of living in Upstate NY is actually around the national average, give or take.

There's also the option of looking into small towns/exurbs of the bigger metros as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-24-2017 at 09:54 PM..

Old 04-25-2017, 12:00 AM

12,193 posts, read 10,409,482 times
I know you said no landlocked areas, but you may still consider one of the idyllic small towns in northeast Ohio or an outer suburb of Cleveland within an hour of the Cleveland Clinic. Top high schools in the state within an hour of Cleveland are located in Aurora, Hudson, Avon Lake, etc. Plus that area of Ohio was once part of the Connecticut Western Reserve and its towns are similar to what you would find in New England and Upstate NY.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:42 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
I would highly recommend Chapel Hill NC which has a moderate four season climate (equal seasons), is very safe, has excellent public schools and is within 30 minutes to Duke University Medical Center or 15 minutes of the University of North Carolina Hospitals. It's also still located within the thriving economy of the Raleigh-Durham area yet largely not part of the congestion with typically much larger lot sizes and a good number of desirable options within your price range. I lived in the area for seven years and it's quite easily my most favorite of the many cities i have lived because it offers that small town lifestyle with city amenities close by, plus a well-educated and nationally/internationally diverse population. The people overall are generally very friendly and it's just an easy place to call home.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/12_zm/0_mmm/
https://www.dukehealth.org/treatment...ical-disorders
https://www.med.unc.edu/neurology/about-us
About - Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools

Old 04-25-2017, 08:23 AM

56,525 posts, read 80,824,285 times
This may help, OP: Best Hospitals for Neurology & Neurosurgery | US News Best Hospitals

So, if you want something in Upstate NY, it looks like the Rochester area would meet your medical needs. It is on Lake Ontario and near the Finger Lakes, but I don't know if it meets the "not being landlocked" criteria. You may like places like Brockport, Canandaigua, Webster, Irondequoit, northern Greece/Hilton, Ontario, Fairport or Geneseo, among others on or near water in the area.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:38 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,123,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This may help, OP: Best Hospitals for Neurology & Neurosurgery | US News Best Hospitals

So, if you want something in Upstate NY, it looks like the Rochester area would meet your medical needs. It is on Lake Ontario and near the Finger Lakes, but I don't know if it meets the "not being landlocked" criteria. You may like places like Brockport, Canandaigua, Webster, Irondequoit, northern Greece/Hilton, Ontario, Fairport or Geneseo, among others on or near water in the area.
Mayo is #1. Lots of beautiful safe communities within 1 hour of Rochester MN. Great schools too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or