U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 11:49 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,238,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Philly sounds just right for you if you can put up with the winters. Then San Diego if you can afford it. There's always going to be something just a little wrong with a place, it's more a matter of what you want over maybe a few things you don't.

Chicago sounds as if it would meet your needs as well. There is so much to do there both indoor and outdoor all year round.
This^^. I'm not sure when the OP plans on relocating, but if it's not for another year then maybe she can take a trip to Philly in January and see if she would like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 12:53 PM

105 posts, read 59,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Portland or SD. If you are moving NE, I would skip anything that is not DC, Boston, or NYC. Philly is okay, but I have spent enough time there to know it is not great in comparison to these cities. But I would move to Portland or SD in a heartbeat. Love both places. West coast faves.
Center City is arguably the second best and definitely third best downtown in the US in terms of culture, amenities and vibrancy, but you're right. Just "okay".

D.C. is one of the most sterile cities which sucks, but I used to really enjoy it. Especially U St.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:45 PM

311 posts, read 218,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILiveInAmerica View Post
Center City is arguably the second best and definitely third best downtown in the US in terms of culture, amenities and vibrancy, but you're right. Just "okay".

D.C. is one of the most sterile cities which sucks, but I used to really enjoy it. Especially U St.
Second may be a stretch but definitely top 5 and probably third or fourth, which is exceptional, especially considering the reasonable COL.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:21 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,972,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
The OP wants to leave the greater TX/OK/LA region. Why do you keep mentioning that?
My bad. I forgot...just remove Austin if it's that distasteful and carry on with the rest of the post lol.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:30 PM

992 posts, read 578,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILiveInAmerica View Post
Eh. Fifth best, maybe.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:37 PM

17,250 posts, read 19,550,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Portland or SD. If you are moving NE, I would skip anything that is not DC, Boston, or NYC. Philly is okay, but I have spent enough time there to know it is not great in comparison to these cities. But I would move to Portland or SD in a heartbeat. Love both places. West coast faves.
Based on my recent visit, I'd say that Philly has upped its game compared to what it was several years ago. Lots of improvements all over the city. Take the hop-on hop-off bus to see what I mean.

So, there are now 4 very solid major cities on the east coast. Baltimore remains the only laggard because of blight and crime. But I expect even that city will improve by leaps and bounds in the coming years.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:49 PM

29 posts, read 28,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I am all about the PT idea. (part time, perpetual traveler, whatever you wanna call it) I'm salivating at the thought...If you do it I'll have to live vicariously through you at the moment, OP.

That way you can get a good taste of Philly, Chicago, Portland, etc without committing to long winters. SD, Austin, etc would all be great during that time. Only issues I see are a slightly inflated COL from the moving/STR and more complex income taxes. To me, totally worth it.
H

Haha If I can pull it off, then I'll definitely share! I may have to hire someone else to do my taxes for the first time ever with all that complication :P But I agree; it'd be worth it.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:54 PM

29 posts, read 28,880 times
Given the cheap flights from DFW, it seems like Philly (and Chicago) could be good jumping off points to check out. Stats-wise, they're very similar! I may have to dig around the forums for some "difference between" posts. Winters aside, the main reason Philly is edging out Chicago in my mind is its proximity to a greater number of major cities. While it's not Texas-level isolated, Chicago seems like it has fewer short trip options.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:43 AM

17,250 posts, read 19,550,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TU08nola View Post
Winters aside, the main reason Philly is edging out Chicago in my mind is its proximity to a greater number of major cities.
You can never run out of things to see and do on the east coast. :-) But that's likely true with other regions of the country as well.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:44 AM

105 posts, read 59,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Eh. Fifth best, maybe.

New York
Chicago
Philly/SF
Boston
DC

No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or