U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:12 PM

29 posts, read 28,842 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I have lived in Dallas for far too long and am ready to try somewhere new! I will of course be doing some in-person recon, but I'm trying to narrow my list a bit and hope to get some help!

31, single female, no kids, college educated. Foodie, craft beer lover, live music fan (except country), not outdoorsy unless you count patio drinking, history/science museum nerd, movie buff. Remote worker so commute, dominant industries, etc. are a non-factor.

Ruled out Boston and San Francisco, even though I love them, because of rent costs. Liking the look of Portland, but the reputation for rain/gloom makes me apprehensive. San Diego is on the list because of the perfect weather, beer, and Mexican food. Philadelphia hadn't initially crossed my mind, but I've seen some positive buzz on the forums. Wondering about those winters though.

Appreciate any insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 09:30 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Austin seems obvious, but the fact that you didnt mention it suggests to me that you want to get farther away. Your options seem pretty good. Nashville is also great for live music even if you don't like country. Plus you'll maintain your zero state income tax.

If you work remotely I wonder if you might be willing to move around every few months. You wouldnt have to worry about the winters in Philly (or Chicago or MSP...other great cold weather options) as you could just head south for those months. In this day and age of airbnb and cheap travel it's not hard to pull off if your work allows.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:42 PM

29 posts, read 28,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Austin seems obvious, but the fact that you didnt mention it suggests to me that you want to get farther away. Your options seem pretty good. Nashville is also great for live music even if you don't like country. Plus you'll maintain your zero state income tax.

If you work remotely I wonder if you might be willing to move around every few months. You wouldnt have to worry about the winters in Philly (or Chicago or MSP...other great cold weather options) as you could just head south for those months. In this day and age of airbnb and cheap travel it's not hard to pull off if your work allows.
Thanks for the response! I do love Austin but yes, wanting to try somewhere outside of OK/TX/LA.

I really like the snow bird idea--that is definitely something I will consider. Weather aside, would you say any of those three (Philly, Chicago, MSP) would be a better fit than San Diego or Portland based on my limited info?

Old 04-24-2017, 09:59 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Not necessarily a better fit but just another option to consider. I don't know SD well but my impression is it's an awesome place to live, offers pretty good amenities a step or two below the big boys, but housing costs are about as high as anywhere in the country. Naturally Philly and Chicago will simply have more to offer as a whole, whether it's sports, arts, or any number of unique subcultures you seek.

MSP is a lot like Portland. It's a larger, and ever-so-slightly-diluted version of Portland imo. I could easily be wrong about this, but I also feel I can rent in a hip, vibrant neighborhood for the same price or cheaper in MSP, which is great considering its a larger metro with a stronger economy.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:26 PM

17,658 posts, read 4,058,482 times
I would choose San Diego

Old 04-24-2017, 11:19 PM

311 posts, read 218,319 times
Go for Philly

Old 04-25-2017, 06:56 AM

3,511 posts, read 2,969,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TU08nola View Post
Hi everyone!

I have lived in Dallas for far too long and am ready to try somewhere new! I will of course be doing some in-person recon, but I'm trying to narrow my list a bit and hope to get some help!

31, single female, no kids, college educated. Foodie, craft beer lover, live music fan (except country), not outdoorsy unless you count patio drinking, history/science museum nerd, movie buff. Remote worker so commute, dominant industries, etc. are a non-factor.

Ruled out Boston and San Francisco, even though I love them, because of rent costs. Liking the look of Portland, but the reputation for rain/gloom makes me apprehensive. San Diego is on the list because of the perfect weather, beer, and Mexican food. Philadelphia hadn't initially crossed my mind, but I've seen some positive buzz on the forums. Wondering about those winters though.

Appreciate any insights!
Philly all the way. Philadelphia has one of the best culinary scenes in the country, from high class to street food-- a walk in Center City or East Passyunk is a real delight. Craft beer is big there, as Philly is home to the world's original and biggest craft beer week. Local favorites include Yuengling, Yards and Dogfish Head (brewed in nearby Delaware).

Top Beer Festivals Coming to Philadelphia in 2017 — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com
The search for America's best food cities: Philadelphia | The Washington Post

History and science goes without saying, as Philly is the birthplace of the nation and worships Benjamin Franklin. Tons of museums, with my favorite being the Franklin Institute, which is an awesome science museum that hosts special exhibits like Jurassic World, along with 21+ after hours eventts.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...klin+institute

Based on your criteria, I think Philly is a natural fit.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:19 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,400,204 times
Philadelphia sounds like the best fit. San Diego is pricey and if you're not outdoorsy it seems like a waste.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:27 AM

105 posts, read 59,550 times
If you like Boston, you'll like Philadelphia for the same reasons. Just more affordable. You'll probably wonder why it's so affordable because it's in the Northeast corridor. It's a city of 1.5 million built for 2 million (it's population peak).

It was also named the live music capital regarding shows/tickets. I can attest to that. I go there a TON for that and I live a few hours away.

http://www.phillymag.com/ticket/2015...st-music-city/

The Philly metro is the garden capital of the US as well. Over 30 of them.

http://americasgardencapital.org/

History goes without saying (only Boston can match the history) and science too. Ben Franklin covers both of those areas and like the above poster said, Philly worships Ben. He has a presence all over the city.

Beer and food go without saying. Top 10 and arguably top 5 for both in the country.

I really think you'll love it there. It's just ridiculously underrated. You'll see when you get there.

Last edited by ILiveInAmerica; 04-25-2017 at 11:40 AM..

Old 04-25-2017, 03:35 PM

2,998 posts, read 4,699,156 times
Lived in San Diego and Philadelphia. I like San Diego due to the weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or