U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most like England?
Boston, MA 69 49.29%
Portland, ME 14 10.00%
Providence, RI 5 3.57%
New York City, NY 8 5.71%
Philadelphia, PA 24 17.14%
Washington, D.C. 4 2.86%
Pittsburgh, PA 3 2.14%
Other (please write) 13 9.29%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:11 PM

412 posts, read 314,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I think this entire thread is stretching it. I wonder if anyone who lives in London, would think Seattle reminds them of home. Or, any of the above-mentioned cities. If one tries, one can find similarities between any cities, but it doesn't make them alike. Say I wear a size 9 shoe. I have something in common with others who wear a size 9, but that might be where it stops. Actually, that's a very bad analogy, but I think the premise of this thread is weird.
This thread isn't necessarily about London. It's about which city is most like England. Demographics, culture etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 07:39 PM

2,169 posts, read 1,085,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
This thread isn't necessarily about London. It's about which city is most like England. Demographics, culture etc.
I understand that, I mentioned London, as people were comparing cities to London. Culture could have similarities in many, many cities, but England is a European country. It's your thread, so glad you're having fun with it. I'm just not a fan of "fantasy" threads. Not meaning to come off as mean, though, because I'm not.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:49 PM

1,581 posts, read 773,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Seattle is somewhat close to London in topography, weather, and general attitude. Most Londoners are reserved, intelligent, somewhat bookie, and tend to be isolated. This is Seattle to a tee. Both cities are important, (London moreso), but both offer a major presence within their regions.
I think there is a case to be made for most of these points, but not so much the topography. Seattle has steep hills within the city, large lakes and vast mountains within a short distance. London is on a major river, slightly inland and not completely flat but with low-lying terrain throughout the area, and fertile rolling countryside nearby. This is probably a better match for Philadelphia within the US.

The Pacific Northwest's climate is somewhat like Great Britain's, but the PNW has a distinct winter rainy season and generally warmer, sunnier summers, except along the immediate coast.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:07 PM

572 posts, read 552,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Culturally and demographics, of these? Hah, no! But I suppose you could go with Boston or Philadelphia just because from an urban life perspective, they have some similarities. And the architectural features of UK influence are evident. Think Manchester UK, Longsight for example. Longsight in Manchester might definitely remind you of a certain aspect of N. Philadelphia. That's not necessarily a good thing either. Still, American cities are on the whole organized in a completely different way.

FWIW, Canadian and Australian urban centers seem to have a certain something more in common with the UK. Our rampant car culture and need for space and supersized everything compared to everywhere else touches even our densest urban locales including the ones listed here.

For this thread, I'd swap out Pittsburgh and replace it with Baltimore...much more appropriate. Still way off, generally.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:08 PM

5,784 posts, read 3,849,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I think there is a case to be made for most of these points, but not so much the topography. Seattle has steep hills within the city, large lakes and vast mountains within a short distance. London is on a major river, slightly inland and not completely flat but with low-lying terrain throughout the area, and fertile rolling countryside nearby. This is probably a better match for Philadelphia within the US.

The Pacific Northwest's climate is somewhat like Great Britain's, but the PNW has a distinct winter rainy season and generally warmer, sunnier summers, except along the immediate coast.
Yes. agreed. Seattle and London are comparable with climate, but yes, Seattle has warm, dry summers, and can get cold in the winter. Seattle has more hills than London, and lacks a major river. Still, they are perhaps the closest major cities with climate.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:26 PM

7,019 posts, read 12,583,473 times
Boston

Old 04-25-2017, 09:09 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,312,658 times
Boston. After all, Massachusetts is a former British colony. Some Boston neighborhoods bring London to mind, and practically all of the New England towns have British names. Virginia is similar, just look at Jamestown and the James River both being named after King James.

Although located in Canada, the city of Victoria in B.C. is worth mentioning. It seems like that city tries super hard to make it obvious that it used to be under British control.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:18 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,312,658 times
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3587...7i13312!8i6656

Here's a Boston neighborhood. Definitely looks American, or rather "east coast" to be more specific, but you can clearly see some British influence at the same time.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:26 PM
_OT

2,151 posts, read 1,555,946 times
I don't know if it's just me, but from what I see from London and England, might be a bit different from others in this thread perceived the England as. I mean there's some SMALL similarities of England in Boston and Philadelphia, but for the most part, neither city resembles those in England. And for Seattle, I don't see the similarities either, sure the weather might be similar, but the culture and demographics are significantly different.

The Youth/Urban Cultures in England remind of Toronto and New York, especially with the large West Indian and South Asian influences. Not to mention density plays a huge part of the city's outlook of each city as well.

Some of the grittier neighborhoods in London, Toronto, and NYC.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5327...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7363...8i6656!6m1!1e1
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8345...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 04-25-2017, 09:29 PM

412 posts, read 314,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3587...7i13312!8i6656

Here's a Boston neighborhood. Definitely looks American, or rather "east coast" to be more specific, but you can clearly see some British influence at the same time.
Yes actually looks very British. Could be in Glasgow or Edinburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.