U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 02:34 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,013,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
North Dakota is so boring and when you retire, you will be so bored. My grandmother is bored at home, because she is retired, but actually, she goes shopping around different parts of North Jersey every day and she wants a part time job and community service (She loves helping the community) to keep her occupied. North Dakota is an empty state and there isn't great shopping like New Jersey. New Jersey is great for retirees. I can't believe someone regardless of age would want to live in North Dakota.
Boring is not the same for everyone. There is community work, part-time jobs, AND shopping in North Dakota. Most people, now, do their shopping online, but there are always some options available for shopping. For those who choose to live in North Dakota, I'm sure it's not an empty state. Your post is rude, and full of assumptions. You can speak for yourself, but not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 02:54 PM

6,059 posts, read 3,379,100 times
Quote:
Florida is obviously the most well-known retiree state, but because of that, it is hard to believe that there are any natives. I live in New Jersey and many people and even young people move out of here, because they are tired of the cold. I have relatives (old people) who live in Florida with a decent amount of land (backyard space, etc.) and I think it is because of the hot weather and cost of living is cheaper over there.

I live in New Jersey and I go to college here, and I heard two of my professors say they were born, grown up, and lived here their entire lives, which frustrates me, because the east coast climate sucks and I would never want to live here for the rest of my life (dealing with extreme season changes, snow, and humidity). Most people in my town grew up here as well and even retirees (native to NJ only) continue to live here. There are a lot of retirees out here and surprisingly, they do drive pretty modern cars, which old people do need, because some need faster braking, and some have trouble feeling their feet, because of neuropathy. The old people out here actually drive pretty well, while there are only a few that can drive slow.

California seems to have mixture of both natives and new people, because everyone wants to live in that overrated state. People move to either Florida or California when they leave their parents' house to get away from the bad climate they lived in.

Why does it frustrate you that other people wanna stay where they're from and they don't have the same opinion you do on weather? How do natives who don't move out, frustrate you? They don't stop you from moving out.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:07 PM

6,059 posts, read 3,379,100 times
I consider myself a Florida native, even though I wasn't born there, I lived there from age 2 to 20. My ex's foster sister was born in North Dakota but I dunno if she can be considered a North Dakota native, as she grew up in Texas and is now growing up in Oregon. She's more a Texas native than North Dakota native. Has no memory of North Dakota, doesn't even know her biological dad.

Anyway, Florida still does have a lot of natives, especially if yer not only counting native borns. Lots of immigrants and transplants have children there, though yea not so much the retirees. Retirees aren't the only types of transplants, though.

Texas is a great example of a state with a lot of natives, plus transplants plus immigrants and a good amount of retirees. There's loads of people from other places but there's even more who are from here. One thing I love about Texas natives is they don't take $%#@& from no one. They'll welcome you no matter where you're from, they'll welcome you to the Texas family but if you start moaning about how things are done, or comparing it to California in every regard and putting down the people, the land and the culture, and trying to change things to be done like the place you left, ohh you're gonna get the boot!

I'm planning to move to Minnesota this summer, they're even less transplanty and immigranty and certainly retiree-y than Texas and definitely Florida. But they do pull a considerable amount of people from the Midwest and even Northeast. One thing, though. You'll find people from Minnesota everywhere, and like Texas, a lot of them are proud and love their home state, but Minnesotans tend to be more humble about it. Yet their welcome sign at the Iowa border is bigger and impressive than our welcome signs!

Old 04-27-2017, 03:11 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
See ya in Arizona !
No, really......but thanks.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:09 PM

3,500 posts, read 4,955,295 times
Quote:
community) New Jersey is great for retirees.
You've got to be kidding. NJ has probably the highest residential property taxes in the nation, just astronomical, plus high income tax. Hundreds of threads about this, here on the "NJ" forum.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:11 PM

3,500 posts, read 4,955,295 times
Quote:
community) New Jersey is great for retirees.
You've got to be kidding. NJ has probably the highest residential property taxes in the nation, just astronomical. Hundreds of complaints about this, here on the "NJ" forum. Why would anyone stay there after they retire? Nursing home rates, hospital rates, and general cost of living are very high.

To answer the original question, PA and WV statistically have among the highest percent of native-born residents. NV and FL among the least.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:58 AM

594 posts, read 486,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
No, really......but thanks.
Sanford, FL..............oookkaay !
Go Seminole Junior College

Old 04-28-2017, 09:15 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,136,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Arizona is 5th behind by Texas, Florida, California and Washington in terms of population growth by number and 8th behind Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Florida, Washington, Orgeon and Colorado by percentage of population growth. (2015 to 2016 numbers)

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres.../cb16-214.html
Utah has a large native-born population. Yes, there is a tremendous influx of new comers, but members of the LDS (Mormon) church tend to have very large families. Not unusual to find a family of 8, 10, or more with some having aunts and uncles younger than their nephews and nieces. Therefore, Utah has one of the largest internal growth rates in the country as well.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:44 PM

44,689 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Maine is full of old retirees. And I assume they're natives because no one MOVES to Maine to retire.

That being said, it's a beautiful state - for about four months out of the year.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:31 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,362,170 times
When I retire, the US isn't even on my radar. I'm moving to South America. Argentina or Uruguay. I'm sure there will be a lot of natives there as well. The US is a great place to make money but not a great place to retire in, relatively speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or