U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 10:26 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,400,204 times

Advertisements

I cringe every time someone makes a joke about me being from "New Joisey". For some reason people seem to think everyone in the state has a Jewish 1950's Newark accent lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 10:57 AM

5,221 posts, read 5,086,926 times
I mentioned the Baltimore accent in the musical version of "Hairspray" earlier. Here's a story about the accents in John Waters' earlier movie, "Pink Flamingos":

In the fall of 1975, I was at school in Boulder, Colorado. "Pink Flamingos" was playing at one of the theaters on campus one night, so I went to see it with a few of my friends. I knew that it had been made in Baltimore, but I didn't know much more about it than that. The friends I went to see the movie with were from other parts of the country. One from Boston, Milwaukee, Detroit, and L.A. The one from L.A. happened to be sitting next to me at the theater. About ten minutes into the movie, he turns to me and says, "Jesus Christ, P47P47, EVERYBODY in this movie sounds EXACTLY like YOU."

Old 05-03-2017, 01:21 AM

4,403 posts, read 4,605,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
The characters on L & S who had NYC accents were written as NYC transplants to Milwaukee. The background story is that Laverne was born and raised in Brooklyn until her late childhood/teen years when Frank DeFazio moved to Milwaukee to start the Pizza Bowl and Laverne met Shirley at school. There is a two parter episode where the gang goes back to Laverne's old neighborhood in Brooklyn to visit her grandmother and attend the Italian-American Festival there.

In a few episodes of the first season Cindy Williams attempted a somewhat NYC accent in order to sound tough and states in her autobiography (and rightly so) that it was awfully done and served no purpose since Shirley wasn't written as being originally from NYC like Laverne so she dropped it after those few episodes.
That's all true. I lived in Milwaukee in that era and people were offended how a show taking place in Milwaukee had all those NY accents. I heard lots of people mention this. I guess they didn't understand the background of the characters.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:38 AM

4,345 posts, read 7,418,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
That's all true. I lived in Milwaukee in that era and people were offended how a show taking place in Milwaukee had all those NY accents. I heard lots of people mention this. I guess they didn't understand the background of the characters.
I wonder if they wrote those characters that way because the actors were originally born in NYC and already had those accents so it made it easier for them to not have to attempt an upper Midwest accent for every episode. Phil Foster, who played Frank DeFazio, was born in Brooklyn and Penny Marshall was born in The Bronx. Plus, since her brother produced the show he may have bent over backwards to make her more comfortable in her role.

I can't think of any other characters who had a true NYC accent. Carmine Ragusa was obviously written as being Italian-American but I don't remember him having a strong accent, and Shirley, Lenny, and Squiggy didn't have any trace of a NYC accent after Cindy Williams quit attempting to do one. Big Rosie Greenbaum talked "tough", but I don't know if you could call it a NYC accent, more of a generic street smart accent maybe.

LOL, can you tell I grew up watching this show every week? I also own the box set with all of the episodes. It's tolerable in small doses, now that I'm an adult.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:22 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,441,279 times
The New Orleans accent portrayed as a typical Southern accent is the worst I've seen.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:07 AM

8,371 posts, read 8,363,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
John Travolta's accent was horrible. The cast from "The Wire" also did a horrible job protraying the Baltimore accent. Very few cast members had an authentic Baltimore accent, and the imitators were comically horrible.
Travolta's "Texas" accent in Urban Cowboy was a joke.

Had to laugh again at Clark Gable playing Fletcher Christian in Mutiny on the Bounty last night on TCM.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:22 AM

4,345 posts, read 7,418,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Travolta's "Texas" accent in Urban Cowboy was a joke.

Had to laugh again at Clark Gable playing Fletcher Christian in Mutiny on the Bounty last night on TCM.
Gable didn't even attempt a southern accent in "Gone With the Wind", if you'll notice,and his character was supposed to have been from Charleston, SC. Maybe he knew by then that that wasn't his forte'.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:45 AM

3,511 posts, read 2,969,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Gable didn't even attempt a southern accent in "Gone With the Wind", if you'll notice,and his character was supposed to have been from Charleston, SC. Maybe he knew by then that that wasn't his forte'.
Speaking of South Carolina and accents, anyone else have issues with Kevin Spacey in "House of Cards"? I don't, but some people out there do.

Why Kevin Spacey sounds like that on House Of Cards Great Job, Internet! The A.V. Club

https://www.vox.com/2015/2/27/811982...outhern-accent

https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/ke...-cards-accent/

Old 05-03-2017, 11:58 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,137,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I find what is widely portrayed as a "Southern" accent is often vastly overdone to the umpteenth extreme.
Agree. And not only is the accent over the top, the typical southerner as portrayed is usually less intelligent, never been out of his home state, drinks beer to the extent he'll pour it on his cereal, and can't miss NASCAR or a high school football game.

I will sometimes watch Discovery ID. They have an program called "Swamp Murders". Even though 90% of these cases occur outside the south, the narrator has the worst fake southern accent I've heard. Because, you know, it's "the swamp" and all swamps are in the south.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:39 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,704,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Agree. And not only is the accent over the top, the typical southerner as portrayed is usually less intelligent, never been out of his home state, drinks beer to the extent he'll pour it on his cereal, and can't miss NASCAR or a high school football game.

I will sometimes watch Discovery ID. They have an program called "Swamp Murders". Even though 90% of these cases occur outside the south, the narrator has the worst fake southern accent I've heard. Because, you know, it's "the swamp" and all swamps are in the south.
Very true. Can't stand the over-the-top fake Southern accents in many of those ID Discovery/investigative shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or