U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2017, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
706 posts, read 513,054 times
Reputation: 407

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
Albuquerque, NM; Phoenix, AZ; Tucson, AZ; Las Vegas, NV; Atlanta, GA, maybe Tampa or Orlando, FL?

Edit: Maybe look into San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, TX as well?
That sums it up pretty well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2017, 05:39 AM
BMI
 
Location: Ontario
7,262 posts, read 4,492,065 times
Reputation: 5593
I like San Antonio and El Paso in Texas

Albuquerque is good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2017, 06:30 AM
 
21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Reputation: 19604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
maybe Tampa or Orlando, FL?
Except neither (Orlando especially) are really considered affordable. The rental budget would be stretched and salary expectation would be around 20%-25% less than the OP's current range which would further widen the gap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2017, 06:31 AM
 
21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Reputation: 19604
Quote:
Originally Posted by szccdw View Post
Thanks for the Atlanta recommendation. It seems like everyone I know has moved there. LOL. I am very familiar with Fulton County. I used to have to go back and forth weekly about five years ago (did this for a year). The traffic in Atlanta seems worse than NYC. I will take it into consideration though. I did love Alpharetta!!
Perhaps a pretty good sign then...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2017, 11:12 AM
 
608 posts, read 751,299 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by szccdw View Post
Currently living in NYC. Looking for a city that meets the following requirements:
1. Affordable (looking to spend no more than $1200 for a 1-2 bedroom)
2. Does not have snow or has very little (minimal) snow. I hate snow!!
3. Diversity.

I would love to hear your suggestions.
Memphis ticks all of those boxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2017, 11:18 AM
 
594 posts, read 486,205 times
Reputation: 761
Phoenix, AZ !
Everyday is resort style living. It literally feels like you're on vacation every time you awake.
Sunshine and palm trees, mountains and peaceful existence.
Day trips to Vegas ( 3 1/2 hours ) San Diego 5 1/2 hours, LA ( 6 hour)
ROCKY POINT ( 3 1 / 2) drive.
The things you can do is unlimited.
1200 dollars will get you a house with a 2 car garage in a brand new subdivision.
All 4 professional sports plus Cactus league in MLB.
Summer time consists of water parks, tubing down rivers, swimming pool parties everyday. And when the sun goes down.....oh my goodness!
And that's our summers.
Can you imagine our wintertime.....9 months of your summertime without the mosquitoes and gnats.
World class dining, shopping, living , you name it.
Real diversity where ALL the races get along.
None of that....whites live here, blacks live here, mexicans live here, none of that.
Live and let live is the mantra you learn quickly out west.
No one cares about what you drive, where you live , or where you work.
Grab me a adult beverage while you're standing there and jump back in the pool while we're watching the game ...poolside!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2017, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,845 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Reputation: 3391
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
Phoenix, AZ !
Everyday is resort style living. It literally feels like you're on vacation every time you awake.
Sunshine and palm trees, mountains and peaceful existence.
Day trips to Vegas ( 3 1/2 hours ) San Diego 5 1/2 hours, LA ( 6 hour)
ROCKY POINT ( 3 1 / 2) drive.
The things you can do is unlimited.
1200 dollars will get you a house with a 2 car garage in a brand new subdivision.
All 4 professional sports plus Cactus league in MLB.
Summer time consists of water parks, tubing down rivers, swimming pool parties everyday. And when the sun goes down.....oh my goodness!
And that's our summers.
Can you imagine our wintertime.....9 months of your summertime without the mosquitoes and gnats.
World class dining, shopping, living , you name it.
Real diversity where ALL the races get along.
None of that....whites live here, blacks live here, mexicans live here, none of that.
Live and let live is the mantra you learn quickly out west.
No one cares about what you drive, where you live , or where you work.
Grab me a adult beverage while you're standing there and jump back in the pool while we're watching the game ...poolside!
Some chamber of commerce stuff here. Well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2017, 09:27 AM
 
Location: City of North Las Vegas, NV
11,290 posts, read 7,875,247 times
Reputation: 3018
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I like San Antonio and El Paso in Texas

Albuquerque is good too.
yes, good choices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2017, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Nashville TN, Cincinnati, OH
1,798 posts, read 1,160,832 times
Reputation: 2321
Phoenix, Orlando, Atlanta, Nashville although it does get some snow not a long winter by standards, Dallas although all these cities are getting a bit more pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2017, 09:42 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
6,550 posts, read 3,653,233 times
Reputation: 12306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
Albuquerque, NM; Phoenix, AZ; Tucson, AZ; Las Vegas, NV; Atlanta, GA, maybe Tampa or Orlando, FL?

Edit: Maybe look into San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, TX as well?


Albuquerque should be high on your list....meets your requirements. Four seasons with a dusting of snow on occasion. Lots of outdoor recreation. Cheap. Many people do not have AC because of very low humidity and high elevation so cooling expense is relatively low (swamp cooler is more common). You are well in the ballpark on rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top