U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:31 PM

906 posts, read 548,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Actually Houston does amazing at traditional Mexican food. Hugo's? Nico's? Cuchara? Xochi? Im sorry, but I completely disagree there.

How many cities have Tibetan restaurants though? Houston does have a couple of places that do Nepalese food. Thats not terribly off.

I agree with Russian. I dont know of a place here that does it. I miss the hell out of Taste of Europe in Arlington (just west of Dallas). They did Belorussian and Russian well.

I agree with the last statement. I would place Houston in the number 5 or 6 spot in best food cities in the US.
Those Mexican restaurants you named are fine establishments. My point was simply that Houston doesn't necessarily dominate in this category against the other great food cities.

I know NYC, Seattle and Salt Lake City have Tibetan restaurants. Not sure how common it is elsewhere. They're surprisingly good. If you have a chance to visit one try their noodle soup and beef dumplings.

The lack of a Moroccan restaurant needs to be fixed asap. Moroccan food is not exactly obscure and it's so delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 08:56 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,182,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Those Mexican restaurants you named are fine establishments. My point was simply that Houston doesn't necessarily dominate in this category against the other great food cities.

I know NYC, Seattle and Salt Lake City have Tibetan restaurants. Not sure how common it is elsewhere. They're surprisingly good. If you have a chance to visit one try their noodle soup and beef dumplings.

The lack of a Moroccan restaurant needs to be fixed asap. Moroccan food is not exactly obscure and it's so delicious.
Other than Los Angeles, I cannot think of another city that really matches Houston in Mexican food in any category.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:05 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Mexican food isn't just tacos and burritos, there are countless elaborate traditional dishes, and Mexico also has a fine dining scene.

If you've watched a lot of Anthony Bourdain you would know.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:08 AM

4,112 posts, read 911,072 times
Quote:
Other than Los Angeles, I cannot think of another city that really matches Houston in Mexican food in any category.
San Diego is better than both!

Old 05-04-2017, 12:16 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
San Diego is better than both!
It borders Tijuana which I hear has an amazing food scene

Old 05-04-2017, 03:20 AM

706 posts, read 512,838 times
Quote:
Well, there is old El Paso. It is even in the same state as Houston, but right across the rio from Ciudad Juárez. El Paso is busting at the seams with authentic Mexican cuisine, made by authentic Mexicans. It is also one of the few cities outside New Mexico to get a regular supply of New Mexican chile.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:47 PM

988 posts, read 592,610 times
Quote:
Chicago has extraordinary Mexican food. Rick Bayless, for example, has all his restaurants there. They are outstanding. There are also countless authentic joints throughout the city.

People forget how many Mexicans reside in Chicago. It's #5 in the US behind NYC, LA, Houston, San Antonio.

Not saying Chicago has better Mexican than Houston or LA, but it's extremely strong.

The one ethnic variety Chicago is weak in compared to other large cities, IMHO, is Chinese.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:26 AM

567 posts, read 328,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

The one ethnic variety Chicago is weak in compared to other large cities, IMHO, is Chinese.
I'd have to agree, at least for LA, SF, and NY. That said, there's some good Chinese here, though the quantity of the good spots doesn't match the aforementioned cities.

This is difficult, extremely arbitrary, and could change if i did it five minutes from now, but my rankings are:

1. NY
2. Chi
3. LA
4. New Orleans
5. SF
6. Miami

Honorable mention out of left field: KC

Old 05-10-2017, 07:52 AM

5,611 posts, read 6,084,198 times
I've only lived in 2 foodie cities. St. Louis and Chicago. Memphis too fat and greesy, Charlotte not enough local culture.

Chicago has phenomenal Authentic Mexican. The number of international restaurants are great. The city is known for Italian Beef, pizza (Lou Malnautis and Home Run Inn, polish and greek food is no joke either.

St. Louis comes in second. I hate Imos btw. There are too many soul food palaces to mention but my favorite is Miss Angies Kitchen in Brooklyn Il. (7 min from downtown St Louis). There are also a number of frozen custard places that are awsome. Barbq is the best. Salt and smoke is my favorite. Fantastic burger joints. My favorite is Baileys Range in downtown.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:40 PM

2,200 posts, read 2,317,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
I'd have to agree, at least for LA, SF, and NY. That said, there's some good Chinese here, though the quantity of the good spots doesn't match the aforementioned cities.

This is difficult, extremely arbitrary, and could change if i did it five minutes from now, but my rankings are:

1. NY
2. Chi
3. LA
4. New Orleans
5. SF
6. Miami

Honorable mention out of left field: KC
1-5 pretty solid, if out of order. Miami is interesting, but I'd have a lot of trouble putting it in the "greatest". KC is a VERY strong food city FOR ITS SIZE, and especially relative to other cities in the Midwest, but it's not in the conversation for greatest food city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or