U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 04:16 PM

605 posts, read 467,457 times

Advertisements

1. Chicago
2. New York City
3. Houston
4. New Orleans
5. Philadelphia

With the exception of New Orleans (which specializes mainly in great local fare such as Creole/Cajun although it does have some good Mexican/Vietnamese options as well), all five of those cities have a wide variety of good authentic ethnic food from around the world and local specialties that can be had no where else such as Chicago style hot dogs or Texas style BBQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 10:55 AM

56,102 posts, read 54,581,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
In that perspective I can understand. I just feel like the best food always comes from The Self-Owned/Hole In The Wall places, in my opinion. Especially when the food comes from the people who live, practice and engage themselves within that specific food cuisine culture. I always told myself that if I wanted to really try some GOOD Mexican food, that I would always support and eat from places that are actually owned by Mexicans; same for Mediterranean food, Indian food, Dominican Food, etc.

That's why I see New Orleans as the best food city in the US. When people are going to New Orleans, 90% of the time the first thing they're going to eat there, is food from New Orleans, by people from New Orleans.
Now I want to go to New Orleans and try their food.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:47 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,767,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Now I want to go to New Orleans and try their food.
Come on down.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:40 PM

56,102 posts, read 54,581,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Come on down.
I hope to do that one of these days.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:13 AM

7,824 posts, read 12,333,377 times
New Orleans has the best homegrown, local cuisine in the country by far.

Now in terms of foods overall, beyond the native cuisine, Dallas was very good, and Texas overall too since you have the mix of steaks, barbecue, and Mexican foods. These are the things that I prefer, and I prefer them over authentic Indian or Thai food which some others may value more. I personally believe as a state, Texas has the best food in America.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:48 AM

706 posts, read 513,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
New Orleans has the best homegrown, local cuisine in the country by far.

Now in terms of foods overall, beyond the native cuisine, Dallas was very good, and Texas overall too since you have the mix of steaks, barbecue, and Mexican foods. These are the things that I prefer, and I prefer them over authentic Indian or Thai food which some others may value more. I personally believe as a state, Texas has the best food in America.
New Orleans has way to much seafood for my taste (I'd likely starve there).

Texas definitely gets BBQ right, with the knowledge that it can only ever be BBQ "if the animal [your] cooking mooed when it was alive."

Old 05-12-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
New Orleans has way to much seafood for my taste (I'd likely starve there).

Texas definitely gets BBQ right, with the knowledge that it can only ever be BBQ "if the animal [your] cooking mooed when it was alive."
You would definitely not starve. We would look at you funny, but we'd feed you.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:08 PM

149 posts, read 63,872 times
NYC hands down !

But strong arguments can be made for Chicago & L.A

Old 05-12-2017, 03:22 PM

706 posts, read 513,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You would definitely not starve. We would look at you funny, but we'd feed you.
Must....have....chile!
Yeah I was just pokin'. In all seriousness I've always wanted to try sausage gumbo, and chitlins, which I understand are pretty close to (or made from) tripas.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
Must....have....chile!
Yeah I was just pokin'. In all seriousness I've always wanted to try sausage gumbo, and chitlins, which I understand are pretty close to (or made from) tripas.
Ok I can't disagree with that. Mexican is my favorite food besides Cajun.
Gumbo is probably my favorite food but it varies, sometimes heavily from restaurant to restaurant and grandma to grandma, so you have to be careful. I actually have never ordered gumbo from a restaurant before because of that reason. Nothing like mom's pot. Chitlins I can't eat! I've had them before but they have the texture of fat. It's pig intestines and goodness they stink. Make sure they are cleaned well too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or