U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
Tampa 19 35.19%
Houston 19 35.19%
San Antonio 12 22.22%
Dunno 4 7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 03:45 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,174,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
...Houston is flat, very humid and muggy. San Antonio is more attractive, more lively downtown, beautiful hills in the northern suburbs.
Outside of the Riverwalk, I don't think so. All of Houston's business districts (downtown, Medical Center, Galleria area) have more activity than SA. SA may have its hills north, but Houston has the bay area and water recreation southeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 4,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
Houston has it's moments, but I would never live there. Houston is flat, very humid and muggy. San Antonio is more attractive, more lively downtown, beautiful hills in the northern suburbs.
While it's flat, Houston's mugginess is only bad 3 to 4 months of the year. Since the time I moved to Houston, I've rather enjoyed the weather with the exception of June through August. Also to say that SA has a more lively downtown is a half truth. On Weeknights, yes, but on weekend nights Houston's Main street has SA beat. DT Houston also has the Pavillions going up as I write this, which will enhance the area further. Not to mention the new condo tower going up in front of the new urban park.

Lastly, If we were to compare inner cities of the two, Houston's inner loop is far more attractive than that of SA.

I'm not hating on San Antonio, but imo Houston blows it out of the water in most regards.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:18 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,138,169 times
Houston is so large (area wise). i don't really like all of the parking lots in downtown houston either. i think san antonio or tampa bay...i'll go with Tampa!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:18 PM

6,990 posts, read 6,985,767 times
Default Hurricane in Tampa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Class View Post
Tough call, but I would go with Tampa. In my opinion, Tampa has all the amenities of the mentioned cities: A growing/competitive job market, good weather throughout the year, with an International Airport that makes travel no hassel, etc, but with a smaller population and proximity to better beaches.
But what about if Tampa had a direct hurricane hit? Wouldn't Tampa Bay flood the whole area, a la New Orleans?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:34 PM

386 posts, read 1,536,699 times
I like Houston. But San Antonio's economy is on fire and the area is changing and growing pretty quickly. I think you'd be good anywhere in the Lone Star State.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:29 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,428,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
But what about if Tampa had a direct hurricane hit? Wouldn't Tampa Bay flood the whole area, a la New Orleans?
yep, one reason i am leaving. a direct hit would be much worse than new orleans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
I like Houston. But San Antonio's economy is on fire and the area is changing and growing pretty quickly. I think you'd be good anywhere in the Lone Star State.
thats what Im thinking... off to SA this weekend to check it out!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,208,147 times
yo - northeast folk go for tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.