U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2017, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,876 posts, read 3,002,451 times
Reputation: 3409

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
On the flip side, in a nice Detroit area suburb, it is similar to what you get in Roswell, if not bigger. 1004 Balfour St, Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48230 - realtor.com®

Or in the most affluent school district in Upstate NY: 32 Esternay Ln, Pittsford, NY 14534 - realtor.com®

So, it will depend on where and what one is comparing.
Unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2017, 10:38 PM
 
Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC and Boston
2,147 posts, read 3,437,235 times
Reputation: 1842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Does 500k really get you that in Bay Area? Well, I guess in a bad neighborhood....
Should mention that the window bars are included.

2038 38th Ave,
Oakland, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 05:44 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,383 posts, read 6,023,139 times
Reputation: 3568
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Should mention that the window bars are included.

2038 38th Ave,
Oakland, CA
Can the windows bars be reused?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,651 posts, read 17,632,423 times
Reputation: 27759
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
That's your opinion. Like I said, on $15 an hour in Virginia there isn't a lot of money to live on after expenses. Things are supposed to be so cheaper here, but it's relative to what one earns. My personal situation doesn't change that fact, regardless of what your opinion of my finances are.

You can't just tell people to live in a $600 place if you don't know what circumstances a $600 place puts you in. I doubt you would live that way if you were here.

Maybe its different in the Southern Midwest, which I'm assuming this is why those links were posted? Or just pacify people by grabbing at a bunch of straws without any personal experience at the information being provided. I could find a bunch of listings and post them too but if I don't know about those neighborhoods personally it doesn't mean anything.
You're in Norfolk. Norfolk is in a fairly large metro area. Virginia is not a cheap state to begin with, and the population centers are only nominally culturally Southern these days, if at all. Virginia is not at all a good example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 06:15 AM
 
5,496 posts, read 2,320,856 times
Reputation: 16536
It's probably helpful to look at COL per market AND what the average salary is per market. Below is a link to a particularly interesting study, one that measures the real pay per job when adjusted for Cost of Living. Some big surprises. For example, when you index average salary versus cost of living, San Jose still remains at the top, chiefly because average salaries are extremely high. But then you see towns such as Houston, Durham, Atlanta, Charlotte and Birmingham emerge, feeding the narrative that one can have a high quality of life while paying less to enjoy it. But, contrary to belief, there are plenty of northern cities as well such as Hartford, Cincinnati, etc.

In other words, duh, markets have to offer a combination of low cost of living and decent salaries to be desirable, and those lines don't necessarily fall by region. This provides a helpful index of the top regions for how you live versus what you simply earn:

http://opportunityurbanism.org/wp-co...ving-index.pdf

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 05-01-2017 at 06:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 06:16 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,383 posts, read 6,023,139 times
Reputation: 3568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You're in Norfolk. Norfolk is in a fairly large metro area. Virginia is not a cheap state to begin with, and the population centers are only nominally culturally Southern these days, if at all. Virginia is not at all a good example.
Well at least you know where I'm coming from with this thread. Perhaps not the best example just my personal experiences with the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 07:06 AM
 
56,754 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Reputation: 12552
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
It's probably helpful to look at COL per market AND what the average salary is per market. Below is a link to a particularly interesting study, one that measures the real pay per job when adjusted for Cost of Living. Some big surprises. For example, when you index average salary versus cost of living, San Jose still remains at the top, chiefly because average salaries are extremely high. But then you see towns such as Houston, Durham, Atlanta, Charlotte and Birmingham emerge, feeding the narrative that one can have a high quality of life while paying less to enjoy it. But, contrary to belief, there are plenty of northern cities as well such as Hartford, Cincinnati, etc.

In other words, duh, markets have to offer a combination of low cost of living and decent salaries to be desirable, and those lines don't necessarily fall by region. This provides a helpful index of the top regions for how you live versus what you simply earn:

http://opportunityurbanism.org/wp-co...ving-index.pdf
Where did this site get its pay information from? Just curious, as it seems to differ from what I find here: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcma.htm#N


Just click on an area and look at annual mean(average) wage. For instance, Atlanta's annual mean wage is much lower on the BLS site versus the source above. Same for Charlotte, Houston, Durham and some others. Am I missing something?


You can view Regional Price Parity information here: https://www.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.cf...29=101&7090=70


https://www.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.cf...7090=70&7031=5 (If you want to do it by metro area)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 07:23 AM
 
Location: New York City
5,739 posts, read 5,127,049 times
Reputation: 2847
I think the correct term is "more affordable"


Northern cities have and will likely always be more expensive, land values are higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,651 posts, read 17,632,423 times
Reputation: 27759
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where did this site get its pay information from? Just curious, as it seems to differ from what I find here: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcma.htm#N

Just click on an area and look at annual mean(average) wage. For instance, Atlanta's annual mean wage is much lower on the BLS site versus the source above. Same for Charlotte, Houston, Durham and some others. Am I missing something?

You can view Regional Price Parity information here: https://www.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.cf...29=101&7090=70

https://www.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.cf...7090=70&7031=5 (If you want to do it by metro area)
I agree - something seems off with that study. You really need to make a load of money in coastal California, Seattle, Boston, etc., to do well. The cost of living is just going to eat into and beyond your CoL adjustment, unless you're doing really, really well in something like tech or finance. These are cities for the top 5%-10% or so.

I lived and work in Indianapolis for three years at a satellite office of a Boston based company. CoL adjustment for Boston was +30%. My role started at $60k, so it would have been $78k in Boston. I really don't think that extra $18k is going to come anywhere close to making up the cost of living difference. Junior IT roles in Indy will likely start between $45k-$50k. You can find apartments for $500-$600 in some parts of the city. Roommate situations can be cheaper. That's not a bad way to start for a kid coming out of college. Within a few years, your salary will likely go $60k-$80k.

Back in 2013, I was making under $11/hr here in my hometown, and wanted to move to Nashville. I couldn't find anything paying what the going rates were in Indy. The cost of living was more, even after you accounted for tax differences, which are pretty much lower at all levels in TN.

I think Charlotte, Raleigh, etc., are probably all in the same boat - comparatively lower or equal pay to similarly sized Midwestern metros, but a much higher cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 08:17 AM
 
21,218 posts, read 30,435,315 times
Reputation: 19671
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Those look like poor areas to me. Our ghetto areas look like that.
Clearly you didn't look at the links and aren't the brightest bulb in the drawer if you think each of those listed is "ghetto" even though they're scattered all over the varying cities if you look at the map view. And surely you're not casting shade on those cities as someone who lives in Norfolk. No wonder the world is such a mess right now given the laziness exhibited on this thread with the inability to separate perception from fact. If at all inclined to look beyond lazy, check out the maps and please do attempt to argue how so many varying areas of these could/would qualify as low end or ghetto.

Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Free Apartment Finder | ApartmentGuide.com

Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Free Apartment Finder | ApartmentGuide.com

Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Free Apartment Finder | ApartmentGuide.com

Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Free Apartment Finder | ApartmentGuide.com

Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Free Apartment Finder | ApartmentGuide.com

Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Free Apartment Finder | ApartmentGuide.com

Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Free Apartment Finder | ApartmentGuide.com

Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Free Apartment Finder | ApartmentGuide.com

Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Free Apartment Finder | ApartmentGuide.com

Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Free Apartment Finder | ApartmentGuide.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top