U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 11:16 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,879,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
But see, that's not even really true. Sometimes "Bless your heart" IS an endearing phrase. For instance, if my little granddaughter brought me a handful of flowers from the yard, I'd say, "Oh, sweetie, bless your heart!" and I would mean it in a TOTALLY endearing way.

And her mama would know exactly what I meant, too.
I know that. As I already said, most of the time its meant as a snide comment, not every time. Of course if youre talking to children, its going to be endearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 11:17 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times
Quote:
I hope you noticed that I never said a single negative thing about people from the North or regions outside the South, right? And you know why? Because my southern mama raised me to be more polite than that. If you think that's somehow less than "honest," well, I can't help all that.
Well I respect your position nonetheless. Even though we may not agree I still say to each their own. I harbor no ill will towards you (not that you thought so).

If it's of any relevance to you, you wouldn't offend me at all if you had a bad word to get off your chest about the north. I'm really much more easy going than it may seem here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It don't know, being rude to the wrong people down here may just get you an ass whoopin'. It's kinda like car horns, people up north honk at each other all the time and don't think anything of it, but if you honk at someone down here they take it personally and may just pull out a gun.
Yeah, uh... that happens up here too. I mean, it actually doesn't happen as often in the south as people think either. So that's kind of a misnomer.

Americans are kinda crazy that way no matter what state you're in.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:26 PM

44,689 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I know that. As I already said, most of the time its meant as a snide comment, not every time. Of course if youre talking to children, its going to be endearing.
Actually, the only post of yours I responded to is this one - in it's entirety:

Quote:
All I'll say is "bless your heart" is not an endearing phrase.
That's the post I quoted and responded to.

But "Bless your heart" in an endearing way is not reserved only for children in the South, either. For instance, I believe I used that phrase myself just this morning when I hugged another woman whose dad had just passed away, and I said, "I'm so sorry - bless your heart." Not meant in a snarky way at all.

There are many different ways that common term is used in the South. Southerners know and can tell the difference in the meaning based on context.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:28 PM

44,689 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Well I respect your position nonetheless. Even though we may not agree I still say to each their own. I harbor no ill will towards you (not that you thought so).

If it's of any relevance to you, you wouldn't offend me at all if you had a bad word to get off your chest about the north. I'm really much more easy going than it may seem here.
I don't really have anything negative to say about the northeast other than I really dislike long winters and big cities in general, which would also hold true of many other regions of the country.

I do prefer living in the south though, for lots of reasons (lots involving weather and family) but also because I DO like the friendliness of the region in general.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:34 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,879,218 times
Quote:
Actually, the only post of yours I responded to is this one - in it's entirety:

That's the post I quoted and responded to.

But "Bless your heart" in an endearing way is not reserved only for children in the South, either. For instance, I believe I used that phrase myself just this morning when I hugged another woman whose dad had just passed away, and I said, "I'm so sorry - bless your heart." Not meant in a snarky way at all.

There are many different ways that common term is used in the South. Southerners know and can tell the difference in the meaning based on context.
I've lived in the south my entire life, have not left yet, I know...seen and heard it all first hand like you. In my life, that is just not how I've seen it. To your example if someone passed away, I've always heard "I'm sorry" or "I'm so sorry." The bless your heart - while people do use it like you say - is an unnessary add on that ive seen avoided many times.

We're getting off topic now. Just know I wasnt being completely literal in my post. Of course BYH doesnt have one meaning.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:44 PM

29,891 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Its definitely used backhanded majority of the time, even if unintentional.
Not in my experiences. But most of the time, Black Southerners tend to use it in a more endearing way than White Southerners I've noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or