U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 10:51 AM

Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC and Boston
2,146 posts, read 3,433,863 times

Advertisements

Thoughout its nearly 120 year history, MLB has generally been played in the top 20-30 cities and metros in the country. But the charmless retractable roof stadiums in places like Houston, Miami and Phoenix underperform their market size, to say nothing of Tampa Bay's dome. Meanwhile, St. Louis is a baseball powerhouse and cities like KC and Cincinnati can still draw when their teams are good.

It seems that as baseball cities like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, KC, StL, Cleveland, and Milwaukee keep falling in rank, and Austin, San Antonio, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Las Vegas, and Nashville keep gaining, baseball is going to be increasingly about the largest markets of 20-30 years ago, not the future.

One issue is that hot weather is a real problem everywhere east of California, and south of the 38th parallel, where there isn't a single baseball team that consistently draws where it should given the size of its market. The Texas Rangers do ok, but they're moving into a retractable mallpark in a few years. Would love to see someplace like Austin get an outdoor stadium with a view of the skyline (I know land is getting expensive), and I'd bet it would outdraw Arizona, Houston, and Seattle in spite of the crazy summer heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 11:14 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
It seems that as baseball cities like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, KC, StL, Cleveland, and Milwaukee keep falling in rank, and Austin, San Antonio, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Las Vegas, and Nashville keep gaining, baseball is going to be increasingly about the largest markets of 20-30 years ago, not the future.
It's not just MLB who is dealing with that as the NFL is arguably as affected if not more so. In the end it doesn't really matter so much as it does with team ownership/sales or league expansion plans since those "falling in rank" still show very significant fan loyalty and support. Also population gain doesn't automatically correlate to deserving of pro sports franchises being thrown their way as the process is quite a bit more involved than population size.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:04 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,496,026 times
I don't think locating a baseball team in a city whose metro population is growing automatically translates into increased attendance figures. Baseball executives realized that a significant amount of the populace think that baseball is boring so they implemented changes to speed up the game as a way to make the game more lively to spectators. The only way to in sure a healthy future for MLB is to sponsor and increase youth participation in the sport at an early age and onward.

A key factor beside a winning team is overall ambiance of the stadium in relation to its surroundings. Stadiums that does a good job of combining the outside surroundings of the neighborhood with the inside of the stadium are the stadiums that does good in attendance.That is probably why domed and charmless retractable stadiums seldom translate into attendance success. Playing baseball indoors just don't seem right. Baseball is associated with the return of spring and outdoor activities after spending a majority of one's time indoors during the winter season. Attending a baseball game is also about enjoying the company and conversation of friends and family in an leisure like outdoors atmosphere.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:28 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,306,665 times
The Rangers draw great crowds when they are good, and that is even with the terrible location of the ballpark unbearable heat. The keys are winning and tradition. Newer teams that aren't good are just not going to draw the crowds. Some teams that aren't great, but have a tradition/ are culturally ingrained in their city still have good numbers. I don't think having a roof hurts attendance at all, I just think that sunbelt teams tend to be newer and the sunbelt is where you get roofed ballparks. The Astro's have a beautiful roofed park.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:30 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,306,665 times
Also, I dont think Austin would be a good baseball town. UT is the big show in town and it doesn't have the right culture for baseball.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:41 AM

6,563 posts, read 10,280,522 times
When I lived in Dallas I only went to 2 or 3 Rangers games in 12 years. I'm glad they're getting a domed stadium because the gameday experience at the Ballpark is really lousy, and it's mostly due to the crap climate of the Metroplex.

If you go to a game there in June, July, or August you'll broil - even at night.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:04 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,275,160 times
Quote:
Houston, Miami and Phoenix underperform their market size

What do these cities have in common???

They are all transient places. Being in Arizona, I can tell you a lot of people move here and keep allegiances to their old home teams. When they are doing well and winning, many will jump on the bandwagon. We get a lot of visiting fans at our ball park.

A retractable roof has nothing to do with it. The sunny places that need retractable roofs just happen to be where people want to move.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:01 AM

1,195 posts, read 877,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
When I lived in Dallas I only went to 2 or 3 Rangers games in 12 years. I'm glad they're getting a domed stadium because the gameday experience at the Ballpark is really lousy, and it's mostly due to the crap climate of the Metroplex.

If you go to a game there in June, July, or August you'll broil - even at night.
Agreed. I went to a night game in Arlington on Cinco de Mayo many years ago and thought I was going to get heat stroke even in May. Mid 90's when the game started. It was miserable.

Houston does ok, but like every other city with a large non-native population, many people still follow the team in whatever city the grew up in rather than the Stros. I got to say, it's weird to have Houston playing in the AL. The teams I grew up watching them play: STL, CIN, and CHC never come to town anymore. I don't know if that affects the draw. The only problem I have with the stadium is they open up the roof TOO MUCH. It'll be comfortable for the first 6 inning only to have them open the roof when it drops below 85F with a heat index still hovering around 100F. Personally, I preferred the old Astrodome.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:32 AM

2,006 posts, read 1,021,499 times
Quote:
Thoughout its nearly 120 year history, MLB has generally been played in the top 20-30 cities and metros in the country. But the charmless retractable roof stadiums in places like Houston, Miami and Phoenix underperform their market size, to say nothing of Tampa Bay's dome. Meanwhile, St. Louis is a baseball powerhouse and cities like KC and Cincinnati can still draw when their teams are good.

One issue is that hot weather is a real problem everywhere east of California, and south of the 38th parallel, where there isn't a single baseball team that consistently draws where it should given the size of its market. The Texas Rangers do ok, but they're moving into a retractable mallpark in a few years. Would love to see someplace like Austin get an outdoor stadium with a view of the skyline (I know land is getting expensive), and I'd bet it would outdraw Arizona, Houston, and Seattle in spite of the crazy summer heat.
You should probably check the numbers, before you call out some cities. St. Louis is second in attendance so far this season, and Milwaukee ranks in the upper half. Do your research.

2017 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Old 05-04-2017, 10:00 AM

3,966 posts, read 3,281,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post

Houston does ok, but like every other city with a large non-native population, many people still follow the team in whatever city the grew up in rather than the Stros. I got to say, it's weird to have Houston playing in the AL. The teams I grew up watching them play: STL, CIN, and CHC never come to town anymore. I don't know if that affects the draw. The only problem I have with the stadium is they open up the roof TOO MUCH. It'll be comfortable for the first 6 inning only to have them open the roof when it drops below 85F with a heat index still hovering around 100F. Personally, I preferred the old Astrodome.
You're not the only one who feels this way....

I've been to Minute Maid only one time and that was back when it first opened. We about melted. I was also reminded how incredibly boring I think baseball is, so I haven't gone to another game anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or