U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:47 AM

3,506 posts, read 7,310,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I knew Rogers Park was majority minority, but didn't realize West Ridge had gotten below 50% white. If that's true, interesting. Not that I care either way, since I trust the Census' data myself. I always got that sense it did have a white majority, if just very barely. Ah well, probably just don't check Census data as closely as others do. And I could tell things were changing in that neighborhood vs. just a few decades back, so in a way it wouldn't surprise me if now it had become majority minority there.
West Ridge 2010 census

White- 42.68%
Asian- 22.5%
Hispanic-20.43%
Black- 11.14℅
Other- 3.25%
https://www.wikpedia.org/wiki/West_Ridge,_Chicago
Going by previous, there has been an gradual increase of Hispanics and Blacks into the neighborhood. L When it comes to blacks, I presume many moved there from Rogers Park, since the black percentage decrease a little from 30% to 26℅. At the same time, Rogers Park became slightly more white and nearby Uptown went from being majority-minority to slightly over 50% white.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 05-29-2017 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 11:03 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,626,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPelican View Post
Yup, that's the truth. Does it offend you?

Since the riots, Detroit became progressively Blacker until maybe the last decade. Now it's sort of gentrifying, and recovering a bit.

However, under Black leadership, Detroit tanked and became poorer. During the 70s and 80s Detroit was a beacon for young professional Blacks around the country as it was considered a city run by Blacks and for Blacks. Whites wanted no part of the city, they left, took their money with them and businesses and reestablished themselves in suburban communities.

Now Detroit is hemorrhaging Blacks as the city doesn't function the way it should. Public Services are lacking, most of the city is just blight. From what I understand, a lot of Detroit's Black population is either heading for the suburbs or Atlanta.

If they could have made Detroit even a stable working-class area, it would not have become the butt of jokes that it became. But instead Detroit has been synonymous with crime and urban blight.

That's the reality, sometimes reality is sad. But it's still reality. Smacking yourself on the head and trying to pretend things are different only does yourself a disservice.
I think Detroit, like St. Louis, Cleveland, Baltimore, large swaths of Chicago and Philadelphia, etc. were going to have serious blight and decay no matter what the demographics of the city became. All of those cities suffered from de-industrialization that was completely out of the hands of the local policy makers (black or white). It's basically like trying to stop someone with a major gash from bleeding all over the place with a band-aid. A lot of blood will be lost and you might just die. Also many major cities being poor and black is more a result of white flight and Jim Crow era housing policies than some sort of inevitable reality. You said it yourself that "whites' wanted no part in the city or "a city run by blacks". This mindset started way before the 1967 riots, the riots were just the infliction point for a city that was already showing major social instability.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:07 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Brooklyn and the Bronx may as well be 250 miles apart. All the boroughs meet in Manhattan, but rarely do people from one outer borough visit the others.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:31 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,265,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
In your opinion which metro area is the most polarized?

By this I mean

-residents rarely venture to other sections of the metro area
-significant cultural division
-stark demographic differences (race, religion, income, age etc.)
-political polarization
-animosity/rivalry between different sections of the metro
-inability to function effectively as a single region i.e. regional projects are stifled due to debate among municipal governments in the metro area.
Here in the Southeastern U.S., I'd say Greensboro-High Point, N.C. area is quite polarized. For example, 90% of all growth in this area is in non-minority areas, whereas minority areas have very little growth (i.e. jobs, restaurants and eateries, new buildings, etc.) It seems as though the region has the old south mentality whereby white persons live mostly among whites, while black persons live mostly among other blacks. There are people from other nationalities and of course, bi-racial couples with bi-racial children, in this area, but overall as stated earlier it is "black/white" at heart.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:33 PM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
Baltimore
Washington DC
Detroit
Los Angeles
New York

Old 06-01-2017, 07:43 AM

4,845 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Most Austinites don't believe there's life north of Allandale, hell 45th street.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:31 PM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
The Baltimore region is very polarized. Baltimore City is actually NOT part of Baltimore County, the only place in America where the city is surrounded by the county with the same name but is not part of it. For example the city of LA is part of Los Angeles County. There is a LOT of tension between the city and the suburbs and a lot of concern about people "from the city" moving out as they bring crime and drugs, and Baltimore City's representatives like to force Section 8 housing on the suburbs. Its desire to be a sanctuary city also concerns suburbanites who understand that illegal immigration to the region will only further increase crime and violence. There is also a lot of resentment against illegals as they have taken jobs from many Americans.

Lots of tension over transportation funds, and the conservative suburbs have very differing values than the urban Democrats including things like taxes, environmental overregulation, highway vs mass transit funding etc. Many people rarely go downtown unless they work there or go for a sporting event. And things do immediately feel different once you leave the city limits.

People in the rural exurbs are also very resentful of suburban expansion into their farmland. So the yuppie elites in the city, the SUV/gated community suburbia, the working class suburbs dependent on steel and the port, the rural countryside, and the inner city ghetto and the illegal immigrant communities all despise one another. A lot of it is also due to politics for example the liberal yuppies and urban Democrats are the ones who support overregulation that hurts farmers and steelworkers.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:00 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,604,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The Baltimore region is very polarized. Baltimore City is actually NOT part of Baltimore County, the only place in America where the city is surrounded by the county with the same name but is not part of it. For example the city of LA is part of Los Angeles County. There is a LOT of tension between the city and the suburbs and a lot of concern about people "from the city" moving out as they bring crime and drugs, and Baltimore City's representatives like to force Section 8 housing on the suburbs. Its desire to be a sanctuary city also concerns suburbanites who understand that illegal immigration to the region will only further increase crime and violence. There is also a lot of resentment against illegals as they have taken jobs from many Americans.

Lots of tension over transportation funds, and the conservative suburbs have very differing values than the urban Democrats including things like taxes, environmental overregulation, highway vs mass transit funding etc. Many people rarely go downtown unless they work there or go for a sporting event. And things do immediately feel different once you leave the city limits.

People in the rural exurbs are also very resentful of suburban expansion into their farmland. So the yuppie elites in the city, the SUV/gated community suburbia, the working class suburbs dependent on steel and the port, the rural countryside, and the inner city ghetto and the illegal immigrant communities all despise one another. A lot of it is also due to politics for example the liberal yuppies and urban Democrats are the ones who support overregulation that hurts farmers and steelworkers.
What about St Louis and St Louis county? Isn't that similar situationto Baltimore?

Old 06-01-2017, 09:33 PM

51 posts, read 28,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I think Detroit, like St. Louis, Cleveland, Baltimore, large swaths of Chicago and Philadelphia, etc. were going to have serious blight and decay no matter what the demographics of the city became.
I don't believe that at all. I guess we disagree if you really believe that.

Quote:
You said it yourself that "whites' wanted no part in the city or "a city run by blacks".
And the blacks of Detroit didn't want white leadership. They wanted to build a Detroit for them. While admirable, they failed spectacularly, and made it worse. Worse to the point that now Detroit is losing black people to Atlanta or the formerly lily white suburbs.

If Detroit had the number of whites as it had blacks (city proper) it would not be as poor or as dangerous or as blighted.

For whatever reason, black people failed to run that city properly. The blame really rests on their shoulder. You can't blame white people for not being present, it doesn't work that way.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:34 PM

3,506 posts, read 7,310,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPelican View Post
I don't believe that at all. I guess we disagree if you really believe that.

And the blacks of Detroit didn't want white leadership. They wanted to build a Detroit for them. While admirable, they failed spectacularly, and made it worse. Worse to the point that now Detroit is losing black people to Atlanta or the formerly lily white suburbs.

If Detroit had the number of whites as it had blacks (city proper) it would not be as poor or as dangerous or as blighted.

For whatever reason, black people failed to run that city properly. The blame really rests on their shoulder. You can't blame white people for not being present, it doesn't work that way.
But the business owners of those jobs in Detroit were run by whites in general. When they largely left the city, their businesses went along with them. And considering the flight occurred at a rapid rate, the new residents (in this case largely blue collar and poor black people) were unable to make up for what was lose at such a fast rate. So yes, white flight is partial to blame for Detroit's blight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.