Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 10:40 PM

51 posts, read 51,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
But the business owners of those jobs in Detroit were run by whites in general. When they largely left the city, their businesses went along with them. And considering the flight occurred at a rapid rate, the new residents (in this case largely blue collar and poor black people) were unable to make up for what was lose at such a fast rate. So yes, white flight is partial to blame for Detroit's blight.
Not really. They can start and run their own businesses. In Miami, the city is run on entrepreneurial Cuban spirit, most of them who started businesses as soon as they arrived in Miami.

Even here in the Miami area, you have a place like Hialeah and a place like Opa-Locka. One place is working class but has thriving small businesses and is not crime ridden. The other area is crime ridden.

What is the difference between the two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 11:29 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
How?
What do you mean, "how"?

Old 06-06-2017, 11:38 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Arlington likes to pretend they are a major city.
Until it's time to sell out for something that benefits them, like a stadium for a certain NFL team.

Then it's: "Dallas suburb" Arlington, Texas.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:51 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
In your opinion which metro area is the most polarized?

By this I mean

-residents rarely venture to other sections of the metro area
-significant cultural division
-stark demographic differences (race, religion, income, age etc.)
-political polarization
-animosity/rivalry between different sections of the metro
-inability to function effectively as a single region i.e. regional projects are stifled due to debate among municipal governments in the metro area.
Outside of the usual suspects, I am going to mention one not mentioned here yet:
Denver

In Denver, there is a stigma about living east of I-25 among some folks. West of I-25 is the "mountains" side, which gives it prestige, but one not as recognized as you'd think. People in the north metro only go to the south metro if work is down there. People from down south have no reason to ever go north. The whole metro area tries to avoid Aurora for no other reason other than perceived stigma (higher minority population).

The metro area is by and large (90%) White or Hispanic. The vast majority of Black people live east of I-25 in Denver, and in Aurora. Any level of diversity is found in small pockets of Denver, or in Aurora (there's a tiny bit in Westminster).

Denver and Adams Counties are blue. Arapahoe and Jefferson are bellwethers. Douglas is red.

The only thing this metro area is united (in orange) on is the Broncos.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:28 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
What about St Louis and St Louis county? Isn't that similar situationto Baltimore?
Actually there are many parallels between the Baltimore and St. Louis regions. Both have seen the decline of industry though that has been more pronounced in Baltimore than St. Louis which still has major manufacturing like the Budweiser brewery. And both regions have had violent riots in the past 2 years in Ferguson and in downtown Baltimore. Not many places are polarized enough to have riots and for BLM to have that kind of sway.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:27 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Grapevine and North Richland Hills are getting on the ball. Even Denton has a REAL bus system AND commuter rail, and that's a small college town. It's pathetic.

Maybe with Texas Live! developments coming with the new ballpark and continued talks of high speed rail, they'll finally change their minds.... hopefully.
Great Post! Arlington has been to told the error of it's ways so hopefully they listen now they dopped the ball years ago, and now is the time to pick it up. The polarization in DFW isnt so much Fort Worth vs. Dallas as it is Dallas and the northern suburbs as opposed to Dallas and the southern suburbs from enticing corporate jobs to infrastructures, schools you name it. Fort Worth is way better off in that regard.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:32 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Outside of the usual suspects, I am going to mention one not mentioned here yet:
Denver

In Denver, there is a stigma about living east of I-25 among some folks. West of I-25 is the "mountains" side, which gives it prestige, but one not as recognized as you'd think. People in the north metro only go to the south metro if work is down there. People from down south have no reason to ever go north. The whole metro area tries to avoid Aurora for no other reason other than perceived stigma (higher minority population).

The metro area is by and large (90%) White or Hispanic. The vast majority of Black people live east of I-25 in Denver, and in Aurora. Any level of diversity is found in small pockets of Denver, or in Aurora (there's a tiny bit in Westminster).

Denver and Adams Counties are blue. Arapahoe and Jefferson are bellwethers. Douglas is red.

The only thing this metro area is united (in orange) on is the Broncos.

Good post!

Old 06-10-2017, 04:10 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Boston

Old 06-10-2017, 05:21 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPelican View Post
I don't believe that at all. I guess we disagree if you really believe that.

And the blacks of Detroit didn't want white leadership. They wanted to build a Detroit for them. While admirable, they failed spectacularly, and made it worse. Worse to the point that now Detroit is losing black people to Atlanta or the formerly lily white suburbs.

If Detroit had the number of whites as it had blacks (city proper) it would not be as poor or as dangerous or as blighted.

For whatever reason, black people failed to run that city properly. The blame really rests on their shoulder. You can't blame white people for not being present, it doesn't work that way.
You don't have to "believe" that, because it seems like you have very little knowledge of American history. There are many people still living that were the victims of Jim Crow Era policies that stunted their educational, economical, and social development. Everybody did not have equal opportunity and reparations were never given to descendants of American slaves. You mentioned Miami's in Hialeah, but fail to mention that these were the mostly white and affluent Cubans who set up businesses and conveniently ignore the large Latino underbelly in Miami. What about the people who can't "assimilate" into America's social structure, because they will get discriminated against based solely on skin color?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.