U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 07:23 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times

Advertisements

Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 08:22 PM

4,934 posts, read 7,589,851 times
Pretty damn close. Of course there are a few negatives but I definitely would put in in the category of very few for us.

The outrageous COL, which is mainly housing, is a non-issue for us. We bought in 21 years ago at the very bottom of the market (dumb luck) and in the 30 we've lived here have seen not only the city go from De Moines by The Sea to a very happening urban area, but also our somewhat scruffy and forgotten neighborhood we bought into gentrify tremendously. We've also managed to carve out some good careers that this city and state definitely has for the professional class.

Love the wild canyons in the middle of the city, the topography, 70 miles of beaches in the city limits and deserts and mountains just an hour or so away. The dynamic changes still taking place in this always growing city. The weather is sublime. But most of all love our particular historic house and garden on the edge of both a wild canyon and downtown in a hip village with tons of great friends as our neighbors.

What we don't have we visit and enjoy.

The traffic is getting worse, (living and working in the heart of the city we can mostly avoid it) the homeless situation is coming to a critical juncture where something will need to be done to address it, and I wish it rained like this year every year but these are first world problems.

Life is good and we appreciate it every day.

Last edited by T. Damon; 05-02-2017 at 08:34 PM..

Old 05-02-2017, 08:30 PM

4,989 posts, read 7,304,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Miami
whaaa?
Gimme some of what youre smokin

Old 05-02-2017, 08:36 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
whaaa?
Miami Beach maybe he meant. Miami is a joke.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:38 PM

4,989 posts, read 7,304,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Even Miami Beach is kind of awful IMO.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:43 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,400,204 times
Quote:
Even Miami Beach is kind of awful IMO.
I actually found South Beach to be incredibly "ghetto" in terms of the majority of the people there. Maybe I went the wrong weekend...Further north on Miami Beach seemed much quieter and more family oriented.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:26 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Quote:
whaaa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I love it all. Literally the only thing that actually bothers me about South Florida is the lack of winters, but every other major city has numerous things I don't like about it. While the things that Miami is said to lack are things I don't really care about anyway.

The heat/humidity and strong Latin culture make me feel like I'm back home in Texas, except none of our cities are as attractive or urbane.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:58 AM

6,554 posts, read 10,257,939 times
I live in a place that was close enough to perfect for me, but it took living somewhere else to realize it.

I left Colorado shortly after I finished college because I thought I needed a change. The place I moved to has zero natural beauty, next-to-nothing in the way of outdoorsiness, and a god awful summertime climate. It's a mundane metro area where the primary draws are jobs, big, cheapish houses, shopping malls, and chain restaurants. If you're into the outdoors, it's a really s*&tty place to live.

I regularly take full advantage of the outdoor amenities now that I'm back in Colorado, and my stress level is down considerably.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,456 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Close to the mountains, rivers, lakes, waterfalls, gorgeous weather most of the year, big enough to meet my daily needs but not so big there are long lines and crazy traffic, not a lot of high paying jobs so it keeps the money grubbing crowd at bay. I like it, I like it a lot.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:29 AM

352 posts, read 291,210 times
Nope. I've moved so much that I literally get the shakes when I think of packing up all of our junk and relocating again, but I definitely have one more move in me. Where to, I have no idea but I'm thinking about it 24x7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or