U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 12:05 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,136,680 times

Advertisements

As we move toward retirement, definitely looking to move out of Colorado to somewhere I don't have to shovel snow. Not Phoenix or Vegas, but along the lines of Las Cruces. Warm to hot in the summer, but moderate in the winter. Lived in CO most of my life and ready for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 12:30 PM

39,355 posts, read 2,970,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
That's not really true. I think everyone has their own preferences. A ranch in rural South Dakota might be paradise for one person, while NYC might be paradise for someone else.
I am happy in my small foothill town, but it is not a place everyone would l like.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:32 PM

1,631 posts, read 962,166 times
We are fortunate to have been born where we currently live. It used to be a sleepy fishing, farming and forestry area but has been "discovered". The prices of real estate have escaped and rental vacancies are low. I seriously doubt we could currently buy the rural home we have lived in for the past 35 years.

It has everything we need: outdoor recreation, good schools, wide variety of grocers, 3 institutes of higher learning, mild climate but four seasons. You can go from salt water to the mountains in less than two hours.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:03 PM

2,034 posts, read 4,554,066 times
Lafayette is so perfect for me, I can name so many more pro's than con's.
It is a really fun, interesting, and rewarding place to live and I absolutely love it to death!

Old 05-04-2017, 03:25 PM

48 posts, read 48,527 times
After living in Baltimore most of my life I moved to a small town in New Hampshire and it is pretty close to perfect. Low crime and unemployment, great schools and no state or sales tax.
It is rural but only over an hour to Boston, the mountains and the beautiful beaches of Maine.

Sure we have long winters but I found having a winter hobby makes you look forward to them instead of dreading them. I love skiing and snowshoeing there is also snowmobiling, ice fishing etc..Summers are perfect here hardly ever needing A.C.

It is named one of the best states to live in every year for a reason.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:34 PM

812 posts, read 1,070,760 times
I'm in Chicago as well, and for me I think it's about as good as it's going to get in terms of location and amenities I enjoy. Chicago hits pretty much every mark in this sense. I would say the only thing I'm truly missing is a solid group of friends and maybe a good relationship to anchor me here. I haven't found it. Not sure if I will find it. I'm introverted, but patient so I will need to get out there and try.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:36 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,832 times
I like Tennessee and Colorado as states to live in, not a fan of huge cities like NYC, LA, SF and Chicago amazing to visit but would not want to live in any state with too high taxes.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:26 PM

988 posts, read 593,270 times
People make a huge difference. Living somewhere beautiful with no friends or family around would be way worse than some average city full of companions. That all being equal, it's tough to say, but I think a coastal village that's within an hour of at least a Tier 2 city would be perfect.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:55 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,820,541 times
Where I'm living right now is pretty far from perfect. Jobs are kind of limited(majority is agriculture which I'm employed in, followed by railroad, then the air force base), the distance from cool things one's interested in take up too much time to get to,. etc. About the only thing this area has going for it is non existent traffic and cheap rent.

I'm not totally against small towns like I used to be. But as long as they've got jobs that aren't 60+ hour/week milk or feed hauling jobs, and the distance to recreation areas or popular cities is 2-3, as opposed to 7-8 hours away, then I'm golden. And hot weather is a plus as well.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:30 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,924,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The title says it all! Have you found that perfect place for living, a place where you can't think of very many, if any negatives?

I'm still looking for that perfect place, but am happy in Chicago for now.
Unless you are wealthy, there is no perfect place. The key is to figure out your own bullet points for the most important things to your happiness, and realize you must put up with some stuff you won't like.

For instance - where I live now, there is no traffic, a DMV where you can show up without an appointment and be seen within 30 minutes, there are no parking meters, there is parking everywhere you want to go, same story for the local social security office - show up without an appointment and be seen within 30 minutes. You can go to a local park or beach and let your dog off leash without anyone giving you a hard time. I can walk to see the ocean within one city block, hear the seals and sea gulls and fog horns everywhere.

But, if you have serious health problems, you will have to drive at least 2 1/2 hours away - longer if the road is closed, yet again, due to landslides into the ocean. If you need surgery, etc., you will be medi-vac'd to a facility a few hours away - which is a hassle for loved ones. You will deal with so many overcast days that the local population is regularly tested for Vitamin D deficiency.

If you have Medicaid (Medi-Cal here in CA), and you need dental work, you can't make an appointment at the local clinic because they don't accept new adult patients. The nearest facility that does is over 4 hours away. The local clinic will see you in-between appointments if they can squeeze you in. This means you sign in at 8am, and wait around hoping they can see you. I had a tooth that needed to be pulled and waiting 5 hours to see the dentist. I was lucky they could see me that day. They were nice and did a great job. But, I have a lot of dental work that needs to be done. I don't want to spend day after day waiting around hoping they can see me.

Also, there is literally nothing to do here, except join a few organizations that are populated by people who have known each other for many years, and are not friendly to new people. There are no senior bus trips, no classes to sign up for, etc.

So, as much as I love many of the upsides of where I'm currently living, I am moving back to the SF Bay Area where I can sign up for senior bus trips and make a dental appointment.

So, you really need to think about the kind of things that really make you happy, and make sure that is available where you are thinking of moving. Don't be foolish enough to think it won't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or