U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:58 PM

939 posts, read 2,830,180 times

Advertisements

yes, the cities metro region counts if u want it to.

i won't say a thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 06:01 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,657,970 times
That's kind of broad.

What about things like size of the city and affordability, as well as nearby things to do?

Old 03-07-2008, 06:15 PM

it's meant to be broad because if it were narrow, then every town in this county would claim to be the best college town. if we stick to metro regions, then we can narrow what metro areas are the best college metros/cities.

for instance, i'm expecting a lot of people to claim the bay area, boston area, LA area, and DC area as the best college towns. i just wanna see why and/or if another region is missing!

clearly, lots of metro regions aren't known for their universities. or maybe not?

if i had to pick, it would be the bay area. uc berkeley, ucsf, sfsu, stanford.... a college for everyone (3 are public, 2 are kind of easy to get into, one is private and hard to get into, one is public and hard to get into), great location, very prestigious schools, very very unique culture.... among the most open-minded students in the world. damn tree huggers

there's my example. take my lead

Old 03-07-2008, 06:39 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,751,221 times
There are lots of places that are great college towns. Since you're criteria is as broad as it is, and the number of universities in an area to choose from being a consideration... my choice would be Chicago. It's not on a coastline (at least not an ocean one), which is a good thing to many of us inland-loving nerds.

On a side note, the whole "open-minded" thing is a crock 95% of the time. Very few, if any(that aren't stoned), people are genuinely open-minded. It almost always means that they're open-minded to things that the mainstream is close-minded to, and they're EXTREMELY closed-minded toward things that the mainstream accepts. Sorry, it's one of my Top 10 least favorite phrases. By the way, I'm not all that "mainstream", nor am I liberal or conservative. I'm just some guy who trolls the boards... on a Friday night... Now I'm just scaring myself...gotta go do something.... anything......

Old 03-07-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
There are lots of places that are great college towns. Since you're criteria is as broad as it is, and the number of universities in an area to choose from being a consideration... my choice would be Chicago. It's not on a coastline (at least not an ocean one), which is a good thing to many of us inland-loving nerds.

On a side note, the whole "open-minded" thing is a crock 95% of the time. Very few, if any(that aren't stoned), people are genuinely open-minded. It almost always means that they're open-minded to things that the mainstream is close-minded to, and they're EXTREMELY closed-minded toward things that the mainstream accepts. Sorry, it's one of my Top 10 least favorite phrases. By the way, I'm not all that "mainstream", nor am I liberal or conservative. I'm just some guy who trolls the boards... on a Friday night... Now I'm just scaring myself...gotta go do something.... anything......
if you lived with my family, i'll show you what it's like to be close minded... i consider myself an open minded christian and i get along with liberals just fine. maybe that's why i perceive the bay area as the best college metro area.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:06 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,340,412 times
San Francisco has an exceptional party scene and has pretty much any type of recreation you can think of.

Boulder is the same way, minus the ocean but ass endless skiing. Boulder is renown for being the party college to go to. As is Arizona State. They're both a little too wild for me and they cost a TON just because rich people send their drug-addict kids there in their Range Rovers.

Trust me, I know a lot of them myself.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:10 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,340,412 times
Default Oops!

^ I meant to say "add" not "ass"! Oh well!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:11 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,603,612 times
University of Texas at Austin.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post

rofl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,657,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
computer makers weren't thinking when they put the "s" next to the "d".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.