U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2017, 05:11 AM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Circle - New Jersey
Rotary - New England
Roundabout - everywhere else

Expressway - NYC region
Freeway - most other places, I think

Jughandle - New Jersey
WTF is this? - Everywhere else
^Laughed over this. It's true! I don't see jughandles anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 05:32 AM

956 posts, read 1,297,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I thought of another Philadelphia one. If you have a grandmother named "MomMom" then you (or she) are probably from Philadelphia. I don't think any other part of the country uses that term for grandmother. Phladelphians use "PopPop" too for grandfather, but I think that term is common in other parts of the country as well.
My MomMom (Great Grandmother) lived all her life in DelMarVa. She was born in the 1800’s and one of her favorite expressions was “Katie bar the door!” which, I gather, was once a common saying in the South but I haven’t heard it in years. Oddly, her SIL was referred to by the family as PopPop.

When I lived in the South, Lima Beans were despised as something only a Yankee would eat. Southerners ate Butter Beans. I thought maybe that was down to the difference between the yellow-colored ones and the green-colored ones, but, no…..

As far as regional words go, School Pyramid is obsessed over in NoVA (Northern Virginia) but in other parts of the country people will think you are talking about cheerleaders. (Q: What is a School Pyramid? A: Another $100,000 it will cost you for a house.) If you think that it won’t be Christmas without a Stuffed Ham, you are from Southern Maryland.

As far as the great pop/soda and sneaker/trainers/tennis shoes debate goes, there’s an interesting interactive dialect survey you can take and look at a US map to see your results. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-map.html?_r=0

Last edited by ersatz; 05-20-2017 at 06:00 AM..

Old 05-20-2017, 04:20 PM

45 posts, read 15,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post

As far as the great pop/soda and sneaker/trainers/tennis shoes debate goes, there’s an interesting interactive dialect survey you can take and look at a US map to see your results. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-map.html?_r=0
I haven't been to any of my top 3 cities, but considering that they're all Great Lakes cities, I suppose the quiz isn't too inaccurate for me: https://nyti.ms/2qG9TrR

Old 05-20-2017, 04:29 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,869,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
So. Not. True. I live in the Midwest, and no one EVER says "pop" where I live. Please don't assume because some states in an area say "pop", they all do.
Not sure where you're from but the Upper Midwest definitely says pop.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:48 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agun77 View Post
I haven't been to any of my top 3 cities, but considering that they're all Great Lakes cities, I suppose the quiz isn't too inaccurate for me: https://nyti.ms/2qG9TrR
It got me down pretty well in terms of color.

I grew up in and currently live in central/western NY, southern tier in particular. I also lived for a long period of time in southeast Louisiana.

The cities are relatively close. I have been to Mobile and DC but did not live in either. Mobile isn't too far fetched from Baton Rouge culturally, and DC is fairly northeastern.

https://nyti.ms/2rFpuVy

Old 05-21-2017, 05:47 AM

4,630 posts, read 2,779,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
The Yiddish "putz" and the Pennsylvania German "putz" are pronounced differently, but apparently have the same root. The PA German one is pronounced like the word "put."

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/putz

Putz | Define Putz at Dictionary.com

I actually pronounce "Putz around" and "You're Putz". As said above "Putz Around" clearing rhymes with "butts". However when I grew up calling someone a "Putz"

PA-uh-it-s as in You are Putz Around

Put-s as in You're Putz

Jug handle is a good one in NJ. A lot of state roads in NJ do not allow you take a left hand turn from the opposite direction. They actually built "jug handle" shaped outlet roads that allow you to turn left at intersections.

What about when you see and accident on the road and everyone shows to look? I have always called that a 'gaper (gay-per) delay'

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 05-21-2017 at 05:58 AM..

Old 05-25-2017, 07:01 PM

4,392 posts, read 3,556,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
What about when you see and accident on the road and everyone shows to look? I have always called that a 'gaper (gay-per) delay'
I've only heard rubbernecking.

If someone uses a buggy at the store, they're from the south.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:09 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,148,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
Traffic Circle - New Mexico

A "Freeway" is a controlled-access highway with over/underpasses. An "Expressway" can be part freeway, but It can also a limited-access highway with at-grade intersections and stoplights. In short, "expressway" and" freeway" are not synonymous; they are two terms for two different types of highway.
What? An interstate is an expressway. I 87 is the Major Deegan Expressway, I 495 is the Long Island Expressway, I 278 is the Gowanus Expressway, Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, and Staten Island Expressway. And so on. Most of the interstates in the NYC area have a "_____ Expressway" name. There are no traffic lights on these interstates. Something with a traffic light would not be an expressway.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:41 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Not sure where you're from but the Upper Midwest definitely says pop.
Except Milwaukee, apparently.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:30 AM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
I thought of another one because I just read it.

People who say they are going to "fix" a meal, such as fix breakfast or fix dinner. I guess that's a southern thing. Always amuses me to hear that. Sounds as if something was wrong with dinner that it had to be fixed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.