U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2017, 08:43 AM

3,513 posts, read 1,602,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
People who say they are going to "fix" a meal, such as fix breakfast or fix dinner. I guess that's a southern thing. Always amuses me to hear that. Sounds as if something was wrong with dinner that it had to be fixed!
Don't forget "fixing to [verb]". It means "about to" or "getting ready to". I think that's also a Southern thing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 10:45 AM

56,093 posts, read 54,581,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Don't forget "fixing to [verb]". It means "about to" or "getting ready to". I think that's also a Southern thing.
Yes. I've told this story before. When I was 14, our family took a car trip to Florida. In Georgia, we pulled in to a gas station, and this man came up and said weezafixinfotaclosenow. My parents just stared at him and again he said weezafixinfotaclose. The lightbulb went on, and I said, "Dad, the gas station is closing. You can't get gas here."

Old 05-27-2017, 01:15 PM

4,099 posts, read 4,737,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I thought of another one because I just read it.

People who say they are going to "fix" a meal, such as fix breakfast or fix dinner. I guess that's a southern thing. Always amuses me to hear that. Sounds as if something was wrong with dinner that it had to be fixed!
People say that here though. My grandmother always said it and she was born in PA and raised in NY. I say it, my mom says it. Etc.

We're all yankees.

I think it's more country than southern.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:54 PM

1,036 posts, read 726,276 times
Words:
"Jawn"
"Wooder"
"Hoagie"
"Cawfee"
"Beggle"
"Scrapple"
"Drawlin"
"Boul"
"Old head"
"Papi store"

Sayings:
"El/Frankford El"
"We're going down Delaware"
"You bloody!"
"We go down the Shore for the summer"
"I could have sworn I saw you at Kensington and Somerset under the El the other day" (insult)
"Youse guys"
"What parish are you from?" (More of a Delco thing though)

...if I hear any of these words or phrases, I know you're from Philly!

Bonus: knowledge

-If you know that the best cheesesteaks aren't at Pat's and/or Geno's
-If you understand the significance of Wawa
-If you know the "Blue Route" is the non-tolled portion of I-476
-If you know that the Frankford El doesn't take you to heaven!

Last edited by PhilliesPhan2013; 05-27-2017 at 03:03 PM..

Old 05-28-2017, 09:10 PM

53 posts, read 45,813 times
Saying BoyZEE instead of BoySEE they know you aren't from Idaho and want you to return to wherever you came from.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:07 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,675,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Living in the south now, i hear that a lot, and it drives me crazy!

Another southern term or at least here in NC is "ink pen" The way people here say pen and pin, it sounds the same, so if someone wants to talk about a writing instrument, they say "ink pen."

I *think* this is Southern, not sure. My friend from Mississippi used to describe people as "ugly" if the person was not nice. Soon after I met her, she was telling me a story about a woman's father, and said, "he was so ugly." I couldn't believe how shallow she was, describing someone's looks. It took me a few minutes to catch on that his personality was "ugly."

Notherners' default for the word "skiing" is going on the snow while they qualify skiing on the water with the phrase "water skiing"
Southerner's default for the word "skiing" is going on the water while they qualify skiing on snow as "snow skiing"

Last edited by michgc; 05-30-2017 at 03:17 PM..

Old 05-30-2017, 03:18 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,675,338 times
People in Philadelphia refer to William Penn as Billy Pen as if we are best buds with him. I don't think anyone else in the country is on a familiar basis with Billy Penn as we are.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:51 PM

1,266 posts, read 701,501 times
If you say grinder or dunks you are from New England. Also if you know what the big e is.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agun77 View Post
"Freeway"- California
"Hella"- Northern California (particularly the San Francisco Bay Area)
"The [insert expressway number here]"- Southern California (particularly Los Angeles)
"Wicked"- New England (particularly Boston)
"Hero"- sub sandwich, New York City metropolitan area
"Hoagie"- sub sandwich, Philadelphia
"Po'boy"- sub sandwich, Louisiana
"Mischief night"- New York City metropolitan area/northern New Jersey
"Devil's night"- Detroit
"Tree lawn"- Cleveland
"Gym shoes"- Chicagoland (although according to the New York Times Dialect Quiz, Cincinnatians also use this term.)
I hear the term "hella" up here in Washington quite a bit. Could be California transplants though who knows. Never heard the term mischief night and I lived in NYC for 12 years...maybe more common amongst the younger generation?

Old 05-30-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
What about the world 'billfold'? I notice some people say that instead of wallet.
I've only heard one person say this and it was while I was in the military. He was from Tennessee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.